Dog Adjusting To A New House/yard

samoyedman

In a few months I am probably moving out into a new smaller place with a smaller yard. I was hoping those with experience here can give me some feedback about dog adjustment to new environments.

My current place means the dog has more company during the day than he'll have in the new place and in the current house he has a small place he can see out from and have a sense of space beyond the house and occasionally see people (though this is rare because I live in a cul de sac).

In the new place it'll be a smaller yard (though still plenty of room) in a complex of villas and he will be enclosed and won't be able to see outside the yard. During working hours he won't have anyone around most of the time.

Like all dogs he sleeps a lot during the day and except when excited is very quiet and doesn't bark much. He gets walked twice a day. He's fairly placid and not too hyper.

In your experience do dogs usually adjust okay to a new home? Are there any good strategies to make the transition smoother?

Edited by samoyedman

I think as long as he's got his bed and familiar toys and most importantly you for the first few days he'll be fine.

D was fine moving house and I think it's because he knew where is bed was and we kept to the usual routine of things. I have another dog that is staying with me for a month and I think he settled in well when he knew where his bed was and once he figured out meals are at about the same time each day :rolleyes:

I'll watch this thread with interest as I am moving next week and Boo can be an anxious dog.

I have organised to work from home for 3 days so will have 6 days there to settle him in and will come and go. Also going to use a bark collar just in case he starts anxiety barking.

I will not bring him to the new place until I have got the living area and bedroom set up, his beds down and food bowl out :birthday: and was then going to make sure we went for some slow walks around the area so he can get used to the new smells and noises.

We went through a similar experience in May last year. We took him to the new place for a lot of visits before we moved in but he was still a little anxious when we moved in. He settled in pretty quickly though - all of his toys helped him settle in and his usual crate made him settle quickly - from memory he only whimpered the first night and then settled in pretty quickly. It took him a very short time to realise he had a new 'domain' :birthday: Good luck with the move!

I think the main thing is not to baby the dog. Act as if everything is absolutely normal.

Familiar things and you being there should mean settling won't take long.

If you are worried about the change in space impacting on your dog, I wouldn't.

We have a small house and yard and our dog came from a house with a larger yard, as long as she gets time with us and is exercised she seems to cope just fine. Doesn't stop me feeling guilty about it, but there's nothing I can do about it and she is happy.

I think the main thing is not to baby the dog. Act as if everything is absolutely normal.

We have a small house and yard and our dog came from a house with a larger yard, as long as she gets time with us and is exercised she seems to cope just fine. Doesn't stop me feeling guilty about it, but there's nothing I can do about it and she is happy.

Yep agree with this whole post, especially this part. If you baby the dog too much, when you leave the house they'll whine for ages, and might destroy something.

EFS

Edited by dogfan

When we moved house, the worst part for Mr Worrypants was me packing up boxes in the old house. He followed me from room to room, lying down next to the boxes as I packed them (just in case we were going to leave him behind).

On the day of the move, he stayed with one of our neighbours while the removalists did their stuff, then we took him to the new house once we had some of the furniture in place etc. He was fine.

We took him back to the old house the next day as we had to clean - he walked in through the door, saw that it was empty and headed back to the car - he stayed in there all day!

So all was easy peasy - good luck!

I moved from a smaller yard to a large one, about 6 months ago.

Gilly had only known the other place, he settled in well.

They had stayed here many times.

But Bob didnt handle it at all, he is only now settleing.

Even though he knew the house and had Gilly with him, he suffered from a huge amount of anxiety.

But that was proberly due to his age.

I think as long as the routine is similar and he has all his fav things, you dog should settle in.

I reacon my dogs got anxious, because I was anxious about the move.

My old girl moved house several times and always took it in her stride. The first time she got a bit anxious the first day I had to go to work, but she got over it pretty quickly. If you're worried and think he needs company, you could always try dogtree. You can find people on there with dogs that wouldn't mind taking an extra some days. I work from home most days and have social dogs, so it's no big deal for me, for example. I'd worry a bit about my neighbours, though. They don't like dog noise. :birthday:

Yep agree with this whole post, especially this part. If you baby the dog too much, when you leave the house they'll whine for ages, and might destroy something.

Whining and destruction is caused by anxiety and does not just happen if you baby a dog too much :(

When we moved house, the worst part for Mr Worrypants was me packing up boxes in the old house. He followed me from room to room, lying down next to the boxes as I packed them (just in case we were going to leave him behind).

That's the bit I have found interesting - my house looks like a box city (although I have confined a lot to the spare room with the door shut) but the dog is not interested in it - he'll sometimes be around watching me pack but that's just cos he's being nosy (does the same when I clean and do everyday things). He's never been through a move before.

The cat is not fazed - he's moved a number of times before and adjusts straight away to a new place.

Oh man, I was JUST about to post a similar topic.

I was planning on getting a Shiba Inu puppy in a few months, but a few months after that I am moving out (only 19, living with parents at the moment) with my girlfriend.

I was so worried that the puppy would miss my parents being around and my parents dog keeping it company during the day. So worried that I was thinking of waiting till I moved to get the little one.

But after reading this thread my worries have sort of subsided. Still not sure what I can do though...

Agree 100% with everything deelee has written - especially about not mollycoddling the dog, and the exercise. I would make sure the dog was very well exercised (more than usual) before I left in the morning so it is less inclined to be anxious or concerned.

Danois, if you already have an anxious dog, perhaps you could try Rescue Remedy or Emergency Essence (the latter being my preferred option).

If it is a complex, I assume you have checked the strata lwas about animals (assuming it is titled as strata).

I am also moving soon, but to be honest, my dogs are bomb proof normally and I expect them to be the same. I am very mch in agreement with deelee and believe you should not try to baby them in case your dog picks up on your anxiety.

I am a little more concerned about my moggy as she is getting on in years but then she has moved to 5 different houses already in her life and handled it better with each one. She has been here for the longest though and she is old now though.

Edited by ~Anne~

Gosh, my poor dogs have been dragged from place to place for years...lets see:

1. Ruby - adopted in Darwin in 2001. Moved to Canberra, Cairns, Melbourne, Canberra again, Darwin again, Brisbane and local move in Brisbane, and to Maryborough.

2. Lilly - adopted in Canberra in 2002. Did all the above moves except Darwin/Canberra.

3. Molly - adopted in Melbourne in 2005. Did all the moves from Melbourne forwards.

Yes, it can be a bit unsettling when you pack up the stuff they're familiar with and yes they usually follow me around while I'm packing. But as long as they see their beds, bowls etc are all still in the same place, they adapt. I make sure they're secure during the move (I used to board them but now I'll be crating them with supervision), make sure their things are with them, and make sure they have a good walk around the fences at the new house on-lead before I let them off to explore.

I also use DAP diffusers when I can afford the refills as that really helps them to reduce any anxiety they may be feeling. I use rescue remedy for myself as well as the dogs! :thumbsup:

Grumpy and Mini both transitioned very well and quickly, Grumpy, in particular. The previous owner didn't do the best clean up and actually left some old dog poo in the yard, which made me :thumbsup: but Grumpy spent days exploring the place. Took no notice of me.

In my experience it depends on the dog. My last dog was very attached to his territory, and so when we moved, he kept trying to run away to go back 'home'. Moving with him was a nightmare, though to be fair, he had an extremely different life to my dog now. He was a family dog for one, and lived outside so we weren't as close. He didn't have any formal training until he was about 6 years old, and even then it was minimal. My current dog would follow me to the ends of the earth - he follows me over rocks, into waves, up trees etc (I don't let him go anywhere too unsafe), but the point is it's about the people not the place for him. He has moved about 5 times since I got him, and stays over at friend's houses (and before we moved in together, my bf's house as well) all the time and so long as he's allowed to sleep next to me (on the floor, not in the bed lol) he doesn't care at all. Even if we don't have his bed, or his usual food or whatever (ie it was unplanned), he's never seemed distressed and just behaves normally.

We also take him on holidays, and he's fine with that as well. It's interesting, because there's about an hour cooling off period, where he won't bark/growl if someone approaches, he just acts like he would if he were seeing someone on the street/public place etc. But once he cottens onto the fact that we've set up camp in a new spot, he resumes his guarding duties.

I am quite concerned about this as i will be moving from acreage with no neighbors to a smaller (still pretty big) block with I assume some neighbors. I am worried the dogs will bark at the neighbors as at the moment anyone they see from their garden should be barked at as they are on my land. I assume they will adapt fairly quickly but think it will be ugly for a while.