Cool Mats

kiesha09

My dogs get hot in their crates at night so for a few weeks they have been out of them and allowed to be 'free' in my room at night.

But its not working! They bark at other dogs barking or people walking past etc and are keeping me awake and keep getting on my bed during the night when I don't notice. I want them to go back in their crates!

So I'm looking for a cooling mat. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

It would be good to get one that works and is the lowest maintenance ie don't have to put it in water every night but really I'm happy to do whatever it takes to keep them cool.

Also, some of these mats get put in water to activate their cooling properties. Does the dog get wet?

I think ours is a Cooler Mat, or Canine Cooler, or something like that. You fill it with water and it has cooling chemicals inside it, that apparently taste delicious because my dogs kept trying to drink the water as I was filling.

Apparently they are not sturdily made, although they have a 12 month warranty. I haven't had any problems with ours except the dogs don't actually use it! It's nice and cool, though. I've thought about lying on it. :hug: Got it for Kivi and have had him sitting or laying on it for treats or chest rubs, but as soon as I leave him he gets up.

just put them in a bucket of water for about 5 mins or so and put them in the crate (or on the floor) with the black side up. They stay cool for many hrs but you can re wet them again if you need to.

I don't know how they really work but they just do. My Rotties will often push them to the side but the pugs love them. As they lay on them it helps keep them cool. They are a bit pricey but worth it.

I think ours is a Cooler Mat, or Canine Cooler, or something like that. You fill it with water and it has cooling chemicals inside it, that apparently taste delicious because my dogs kept trying to drink the water as I was filling.

Apparently they are not sturdily made, although they have a 12 month warranty. I haven't had any problems with ours except the dogs don't actually use it! It's nice and cool, though. I've thought about lying on it. :rofl: Got it for Kivi and have had him sitting or laying on it for treats or chest rubs, but as soon as I leave him he gets up.

I have looked at this one too and heard that they aren't that sturdily made as well. Do you need to refill it with water all the time to keep it cool? Mine kind of wouldn't have a choice but to sleep on it since they're in their crates, unless of course they hated it and I would remove it and try something else.

just put them in a bucket of water for about 5 mins or so and put them in the crate (or on the floor) with the black side up. They stay cool for many hrs but you can re wet them again if you need to.

Does the dog get wet? Do they drip everywhere? Sorry for all the questions but all I am imagining at the moment is a dripping wet dog bed being carried down the hallway into their crates :hug:

I have a k9+ polar pad. I have it so that it is the size of half of his crate so he can sleep on it or off (or half on half off).

I soak it for about 10mins, give it a wring out and leave it to dry flat for about 15mis, the outer material dries off reasonably quickly and it stays cool.

Essentially i believe they are made from the cystals that you put in your garden (obviously not the same but the same idea) that soak up the water and then release it slowly so the ground says cool and damp. Same goes for the dog beds so that the material stays cool. If Jager is sleeping on it for a long period of time his side will be cool and a little damp, but not wet.

Does the dog get wet? Do they drip everywhere? Sorry for all the questions but all I am imagining at the moment is a dripping wet dog bed being carried down the hallway into their crates :hug:

Sorry - should have said to wring it out gently - the dogs are not wet as such, slightly damp but much cooler - not like you have to dry them off.

Edited by Andisa

Apparently they are not sturdily made, although they have a 12 month warranty. I haven't had any problems with ours except the dogs don't actually use it! It's nice and cool, though. I've thought about lying on it. :hug: Got it for Kivi and have had him sitting or laying on it for treats or chest rubs, but as soon as I leave him he gets up.

I have looked at this one too and heard that they aren't that sturdily made as well. Do you need to refill it with water all the time to keep it cool?

No, just fill it once and away you go. It's always cool. It works well in that sense. I've been dragging it around trying to find places to put it that might appeal to Kivi and it hasn't shown any sign of wear from this. I have it sitting on a scrap of cow hide to make dragging easier. It's pretty heavy once it has, like, 9L of water in it!

I have a k9+ polar pad. I have it so that it is the size of half of his crate so he can sleep on it or off (or half on half off).

I have one of these too :rofl:

They stay full/cool for a couple of days before you need to resoak. Once the outside material dries (takes about 10 mins out in the sun, less if you blot off the excess with a towel first) the dog will not get wet. You can chuck a towel over the top if it concens you anyway.

Embarrassingly enough the dog never really uses it, the humans do :hug:

http://www.k9softdogcrates.com.au/index.php?p=polar

http://shop.ebay.com.au/aussiepetstuff/m.html

I don't know how they really work but they just do. My Rotties will often push them to the side but the pugs love them. As they lay on them it helps keep them cool. They are a bit pricey but worth it.

Ok, so when I first read this I thought you meant to put the dogs in a bucket of water!!! :eek::o:curtsey: I was trying to think if you just meant to plonk a wet dog in the crate!!! :rofl::wave: :nahnah: :bottom:

Oops! :rofl::rofl:

Ok, so when I first read this I thought you meant to put the dogs in a bucket of water!!! :o:curtsey: :nahnah: I was trying to think if you just meant to plonk a wet dog in the crate!!! :rofl::doh::bottom::wave:

Oops! :o:rofl:

:rofl: yeah well I could put the pugs in a bucket but I would need a pretty big bucket for the rotties. :eek: glad I forgot to mention to wring them out then...

I bought the little guys the Canine Cooler® Thermo-regulating Pet Bed...you definitely need a medium for Westie-sized dogs so they can stretch out. I had to put a towel on them at first as they didn't like the feel but they lie on them most of the day now.

If you sign up for Deals Direct daily newsletter sometimes they have them on special, that way you won't miss out.

Anyway here is the link http://search.dealsdirect.com.au/search?p=...%20Bed&rk=4

Ok, so when I first read this I thought you meant to put the dogs in a bucket of water!!! :nahnah: :bottom::wave: I was trying to think if you just meant to plonk a wet dog in the crate!!! :rofl::(:rofl::doh:

Oops! ;) :rofl:

:o yeah well I could put the pugs in a bucket but I would need a pretty big bucket for the rotties. :eek: glad I forgot to mention to wring them out then...

Yeah, I was wondering how to do that with my GSDs and rotty girl! :o:curtsey: Guess I might have figured it out if you said to wring them out! :(

The first mat that I purchased got stinky very quickly. :rofl:

Then we bought the silver eagle cooling mat. It works, is light, thin and does not stink.

You are supposed to soak the 'blanket' in some water. The water is absorbed and the mat is ready to use.

I must confess that I just splash some water on it daily and still does the job.

I have not noticed any dampness on my dogs.

It is really helpful at keeping the dogs cool in the car. :rofl:

What about just freezing a hot water bottle and covering it in a towel and putting that into their crates?

This is what we did when we brought our baby girl home. Although, we had no choice, she was addicted to them from her breeders house as that's what they used to cool them down. I had to wean her off them once the cooler weather came.

we just bought two of these and the dogs love them!!!

http://www.swim-in.com.au/p/discount_pet_c...122cm_x_91cm%29

they are awesome!!! :) my teenager said if the dogs won't lay on them she will cause they're like mini waterbeds ...... very heavy when filled with water the 122cm ones which are what we got take about 18ltrs of water for each one....will try and get a pic for you

great quality and they look just like the ones petbarn sell for $200

is this the same as the one you just bought littlebear?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cooling-Water-Bed-P...=item2c5a651fce

I also bought one of these last year, the dogs like it as well. It is not as firm (or perhaps as long lasting) but HEAPS cheaper, it is interesting that Mac wont try to dig a more comfortable spot in it while he will scrape away at the Canine Cooler® Thermo-regulating Bed as it is quite firm (the water bed is squishy :) )

Edited by Boronia