New Puppy Time, Woohoo!

Simply Grand

A pug puppy can out-terrier a terrier in the Energiser Bunny stakes. They have all the flat-out business of a terrier without the focus :laugh: ...JRT x Pugs really double up on that, why do people cross those two? Sheeesh!

Most pugs don't settle down until they are three or four, although there are exceptions of course. If you like the look, then really the Japanese Chin has a much milder temperament and are less needy - pugs are very much people dogs.

Australian Terriers are grand little dogs and do not have the overboard drive of JRT's and foxie type terriers, although they are tenacious enough if they see/scent a mouse...

The tibbies do tick all the boxes, except maybe agility, but pugs don't have the best build for agility either...

Tibbies do take part in agility & win titles, but it seems more in the US. They had a website devoted to US tibbies in agility.

http://agiletibs.tripod.com/titles.html

http://agiletibs.tripod.com/agiletibs.html

Maybe it tells more about we tibbie owners in Australia! :laugh:

You made me think, tho', RP. The small dog that used to be in the Pal Superdog Team, doing all sorts of agility tricks, was a Papillon.

I don't know a lot about Papillons. But could it be worth OP looking into that breed, too???

I also think that already loving the 'poodleness' in the present dog, maybe go with a small p/b poodle???

Edited by mita

Hmmm, so it's seeming maybe a Pug wouldn't be the best fit for us. I had thought they were a pretty "easy-fit" sort of breed, but may have been wrong. Maybe I've been wrongly influenced by how often they are used for cross breeding, poor Puggies :cheer: Gosh I love those little faces though :o

I have worried about Saxon's zoomies and wrestles, plus the cats, with a Pug. Saxon's also reasonably confident but I suppose a bit of a sooky Mummy's boy... maybe that's a factor too.

I'm also going to add that I'd like to find something within the next 6 months or so... I know people often wait longer for a pure breed but for me 6 months is a pretty long time :laugh: . I just want a nice healthy pet dog, raised in a happy family environment, that will fit in with the household and be happy :o

Ok, you probably know what breed I am going to suggest. I also have a sheltie here who wont stand still for more then a minute, would hate to see him locked up in a small yard 10 hours a day. He is neutered so has a very big coat that takes quite a bit of grooming especially when he drops coat. Now a silky is fun loving, easy to groom and very trainable. Lots of them do obedience and agility. Mine all get along well with other dogs. They do tend to forget what size they are sometimes though. Then again I love Tibbies and Papillons although Paps can be vocal.

Hmmm, so it's seeming maybe a Pug wouldn't be the best fit for us. I had thought they were a pretty "easy-fit" sort of breed, but may have been wrong. Maybe I've been wrongly influenced by how often they are used for cross breeding, poor Puggies :o Gosh I love those little faces though :o

I have worried about Saxon's zoomies and wrestles, plus the cats, with a Pug. Saxon's also reasonably confident but I suppose a bit of a sooky Mummy's boy... maybe that's a factor too.

I'm also going to add that I'd like to find something within the next 6 months or so... I know people often wait longer for a pure breed but for me 6 months is a pretty long time :cheer: . I just want a nice healthy pet dog, raised in a happy family environment, that will fit in with the household and be happy :o

Hee hee! Your list does not an easy fit make!! :laugh:

Just snuck a look on the DOL puppy notices, no chin babies but there are a couple of Aussie babies available, so you chances of getting a pup in the next six months or so might be higher than I thought.

Dunnwaren, I grew up in a home where both Aussies and Silkies were bred and shown and I do have to say that the Aussies are much less intense than the Silkies and more bombproof as a general rule, to my experience anyway.

Mostly I'm thinking of the OP's existing dog here, where Paps and Silkies etc might turn out a bit strong and overwhelming to him in the long run?

Hmmm, so it's seeming maybe a Pug wouldn't be the best fit for us. I had thought they were a pretty "easy-fit" sort of breed, but may have been wrong. Maybe I've been wrongly influenced by how often they are used for cross breeding, poor Puggies :o Gosh I love those little faces though :o

I'm also going to add that I'd like to find something within the next 6 months or so... I know people often wait longer for a pure breed but for me 6 months is a pretty long time :cheer: . I just want a nice healthy pet dog, raised in a happy family environment, that will fit in with the household and be happy :o

Hee hee! Your list does not an easy fit make!! :laugh:

Just snuck a look on the DOL puppy notices, no chin babies but there are a couple of Aussie babies available, so you chances of getting a pup in the next six months or so might be higher than I thought.

Dunnwaren, I grew up in a home where both Aussies and Silkies were bred and shown and I do have to say that the Aussies are much less intense than the Silkies and more bombproof as a general rule, to my experience anyway.

Mostly I'm thinking of the OP's existing dog here, where Paps and Silkies etc might turn out a bit strong and overwhelming to him in the long run?

Well my thoughts on that is if you get a baby it's unlikely to overwhelm and older dog. They can be intense, not sure how long ago you lived with silkys but a lot of work has gone into the temperaments and now they tend to be well balanced dogs. I will admit years ago they were known to be snappy but in my 30 years of breeding them I have never had one snap at me yet. I still like the sound of a Tibbie, the ones I've had dealings with have all been very laid back.

Bailey's Mum, I watched your puppy posts in the Breeders Community, you had me wanting one of your babies when I wasn't even looking for a puppy, let alone an Aussie Terrier. From the sounds of it one would actually fit in really well with Saxon, they are on the list!

Chin's are cute, with their funny little faces! I think the Tibbie appeals more to me though, and probably more of them around?

It's really interesting looking at all these breeds and realising that some of them instantly appeal and some don't, and then (more importantly) there are the personalities/temperaments, and the physical requirements.

I had thought of all this kind of stuff before and am happy to research and plan, but it just emphasises to me how stupid it is to just take home a puppy you saw in a pet shop that day! SO glad I found DOL :laugh:

Well my thoughts on that is if you get a baby it's unlikely to overwhelm and older dog. They can be intense, not sure how long ago you lived with silkys but a lot of work has gone into the temperaments and now they tend to be well balanced dogs. I will admit years ago they were known to be snappy but in my 30 years of breeding them I have never had one snap at me yet. I still like the sound of a Tibbie, the ones I've had dealings with have all been very laid back.

That's great news about the Silky temp improving! But it was the intensity that most concerned me and baby puppies don't stay babies forever.

I agree 100% that "laid back" is exactly what is needed here, that's why tibbies would have been at the top of my list without agility in the equation.

Mita, there are Pugs doing well in agility too, but their general build has the wrong ratio for a long jumping career it can really do them harm. Tibbies even more so as their legs are even shorter in proportion to the back. My opinion anyway.

It's an interesting question in this thread when you really stop to think about it.

The tibbies do tick all the boxes, except maybe agility, but pugs don't have the best build for agility either...

Tibbies do take part in agility & win titles, but it seems more in the US. They had a website devoted to US tibbies in agility.

http://agiletibs.tripod.com/titles.html

http://agiletibs.tripod.com/agiletibs.html

Maybe it tells more about we tibbie owners in Australia! :)

You made me think, tho', RP. The small dog that used to be in the Pal Superdog Team, doing all sorts of agility tricks, was a Papillon.

I don't know a lot about Papillons. But could it be worth OP looking into that breed, too???

I also think that already loving the 'poodleness' in the present dog, maybe go with a small p/b poodle???

Casper, the boy i posted up, will make an awesome agility dog or flyball dog. He is quick, he jumps high and has the drive for it :D

I'm still talking my cousin to get Casper into it.

If your wanting small,fairly laid back but able to do agility then i would agree with papillion,quite few out there doing well in the agility world.

Yes then can bark but would consider them equal to a sheltie in that area.

Min Pins are small easy do well at agilty.

Tibbies would certainly be able to do agility ,so many great Corgis that compete at the highest level so a Tibbie would be no different

Oh I meant to say, agility certainly isn't a requirement. When I say we "do" it, that's training at the obedience club, not competing. I've been doing it with Saxon for 5 or 6 months and he seems to love it, and be quite good at it. It's quite fun but tires me out more than him, trying to run around the course! We may eventually compete but it's really only for the fun and the training experience for me and stimulation for him that we do it.

I do obedience training with Sax too, again not competing, and would definitely want to do that with any dog I have, for the dog's behaviour but also for the bond it forms and how it teaches you how your dog learns best. To be honest I don't think I'll have time to do both obedience and agility with two dogs!

Mita, there are Pugs doing well in agility too, but their general build has the wrong ratio for a long jumping career it can really do them harm. Tibbies even more so as their legs are even shorter in proportion to the back. My opinion anyway.

It's an interesting question in this thread when you really stop to think about it.

RP, I don't know much about agility. What's come up in this thread has made me curious to go look!

Your opinion is a fair one about a dog's proportions lending themselves to doing certain things. And tibs have a longer back in proportion to legs, which wouldn't help long-jumping!

But they can run like the wind (with hare feet like greyhounds), climb like mountain goats & change direction quickly at great speed.

I've been watching, this morning, our tib girls playing with the 14 weeks old greyhound pup next door (she's from champion stock & destined for racing). The grey girl tries to get a long run to chase them, but the tibs do all the ducking & weaving at speed, & leaping up on high surfaces. When the grey gets a straight run up, she moves like greased lightning.

(CW EW, Casper would love to be in this game!)

Sorry for going O/T, SP, but there are interesting topics turning up....even tho' I realise agility isn't high on your list. Fascinating, looking at the various breeds.

Edited by mita

My boy Ted not only trained in agility but also competed. we did NADAC agility which is much better suited to a huge variety of breeds. Ted always went through the course well under time and sometimes faster than the kelpies. He got his Agility and jumping titles. There are obedience titled pugs and also flyball pugs and some who have ET. And I have one who I was training for tracking.

RP, I don't know much about agility. What's come up in this thread has made me curious to go look!

Your opinion is a fair one about a dog's proportions lending themselves to doing certain things. And tibs have a longer back in proportion to legs, which wouldn't help long-jumping!

But they can run like the wind (with hare feet like greyhounds), climb like mountain goats & change direction quickly at great speed.

I've been watching, this morning, our tib girls playing with the 14 weeks old greyhound pup next door (she's from champion stock & destined for racing). The grey girl tries to get a long run to chase them, but the tibs do all the ducking & weaving at speed, & leaping up on high surfaces. When the grey gets a straight run up, she moves like greased lightning.

(CW EW, Casper would love to be in this game!)

Sorry for going O/T, SP, but there are interesting topics turning up....even tho' I realise agility isn't high on your list. Fascinating, looking at the various breeds.

Bad phrasing on my part. I didn't mean as in the long jump, I meant as in a long career of jumping. Certainly they are not incapable, nor are daschunds if it comes to that, they are just more at risk of damage from it. I will find the study on the most viable ratio and post it.

Today I went to the Bungendore show to check out different breeds, it was really good! After the good advice here plus talking to some other people I can see that a Pug probably isn't a good fit at the moment. So on the list now are:

Tibbie

Aussie Terrier

Mini Poodle - I can see that this would be a really good match for Saxon

and at the top of the list, Sheltie...

At the show I had a good talk with some lovely Sheltie breeders and met their gorgeous dogs! I've come across Shelties before but not really had much interaction with them, which I was thinking was their stand-offishness with strangers, but these ones were so friendly and excited about pats and cuddles - one young one was almost climbing out of the pen into my arms :D He was so sweet, i was very tempted to just pick him up and run :love:

So we talked about my circumstances and I asked whether they thought a Sheltie would cope ok with my work hours and the small yard, they said that as long as it got walks and training and attention when I am home it should be fine. Theirs are usually happy to lie around and relax all day. The breeding partner of the people I spoke to apparently has a fairly small yard so I'm hoping I can arrange to go and meet her dogs and talk to her to get more of an idea of whether it will work.

I was looking out for Tibbies, I don't think I've met one, but I couldn't see any. They could have been there though and I just didn't realise!

We have a tibbie too and he plays very well with our friend's toy poodle. The poodle has higher energy levels than our tib which means that when Miki has had enough running around, he will flop down and nothing the poodle does will get him back on his feet until he is absolutely ready. Even as a puppy, our tibbie was laid back but playful; affectionate but not clingy (he's pretty independent). Great indoor dogs as well ( clean and generally speaking, can be relied on not to wreck the house when left alone).

Mita, I am hoping to do agility with Miki sometime this year. We have one more level of obedience training to get through and then he will be eligible to join agility training. Recall is our biggest challenge! I haven't thought about the issue with their body shape being unsuitable for agility work. Will have to see how he copes as I wouldn't want to cause him any discomfort. You're right about how swift and agile they are (they run like a hare)!

You might want to have a chat to Caroline, who's often in the office at our club about her Shelties - she does agility and flyball with hers. There were a couple of Tibbies at the club as well, but I can't remember whether I've seen them recently. They quite appeal to me, even as a person who's not generally into small dogs. If you're interested in Papillons too, the woman who runs the grooming place at Kippax has a couple who are generally in the shop with her.

Its lots of fun considering breeds, isn't it? BUt go with your gut instinct as well. I narrowe down my shortlist, but something about the Cardi's just gelled with me when I did the breed meet and greet, and if the Shelties are appealing to you - well, you're the one who has to live with them!