Adelaide Meet Feb 6th

Mrs Rusty Bucket

Updated to say - given only two of us want to go to the beach and I think 24'C current forecast is a little cooler than I like breakfast at the beach...

We do the same place (main st) and time 12:30pm ish, with clam shell if Sparky cat comes, and hose if I remember. Or buckets.

We can talk about variations on the theme when we get there. I might bring food cos I like eating but it will be in a box with a lid... as usual.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

So after the last one, there was quite a lot of discussion about how to continue and KHM did not want to organise or be at the next one. So I thought I'd write a post to see what people think, given our plan would be a meet next Sunday Feb 6th for lunch.

Discussion starts on page 34...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry5063755

Personally I'd like a change of venue (More room) and time (less burning sun) eg beach at 8am, and/or change of protocol eg all food in containers with lids, and all dogs on lead unless we come to a group consensus about who goes on or off lead.

Maybe those of us who want to come can say - if our dog has any issues that need to be accommodated eg no balls, no treats, all on lead...

Some of our dog club rules are -

* all on lead all the time (unless passed grade 5 and in class under supervision of instructor).

* no allowing a dog to greet another dog without getting owner's permission first because quite a few dogs there are aggressive for various reasons.

* no giving another dog a treat without owner's permission, some dogs are allergic to all sorts of stuff so it pays to ask, and some will start fights over food.

If we choose to stick with the same venue maybe we could bring our own tables and chairs and Miss Squish could bring her fence again, just in case the space is hosting other bbqs again?

Thoughts people, I'm open to ideas.

PS It's going to be stinky hot tomorrow, I'm planning to go to West Beach in the morning (sunday 30th January) at some early hour. Horses are supposed to be off after 8am and surf club opens for coffee at 8:30am, and given it's going to be stinky I might just plan for 7:30am for a hour's walk, with some of that on lead if there are horses around.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa.asp

Not much tide so will probably walk into the wind from the surf club (end of West beach road) and then back to the sailing club (end of Burbridge/Brabham) or boat ramp depending what way the wind is when I get there. If there's no wind, and the tide is low enough I usually head for the boat ramp - for something different. There's usually loads of parking around the surf club at 8am ish. And if you go down the ramp at the southern side of the surf club you don't even get sand in your shoes.

I'll happy to switch to Tennyson beach if anyone else wants to go (if Bully posts which street that's closest to).

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

To start the ball rolling...

My dog - seems to be growing up. Another dog jumped on her (last wednesday night) and growled at her when she was in a drop position. And she sat up and loudly told the other dog off - successfully (it backed off). So it may be that she will no longer tolerate rude dogs jumping on her and growling and will stand up for herself when her previous way of dealing with it was to be quiet and still or run away.

She is a ball thief, which can upset dogs that are possessive about their balls. She will return the ball on command.

She has also been known to do some counter surfing for food hence my desire to keep food on tables in a way that is more difficult for dogs to help themselves. Ie with lids on. Helps keep the flies off too.

And while at most places she comes when called, she doesn't do this very well at DOL meets.

And I am completely open to requests to keep her on lead, and leave the treats out of reach, and not use a ball etc. And I don't mind if people let me know if she's crapped somewhere and I didn't notice. In fact I will pick up most dog craps that are where I think people (myself) will walk. And I frequently forget to ask owners before letting her greet other dogs. :rainbowbridge:

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

It's just hit 50C out here at Mannum! Not fit for man or beast. I have 9 dogs in lockdown with the AC!

i can't make the meets from now on if they are on the 1st Sundays as our rescue shelter is now open to the public 1st & 3rd sunday of the month....

50 :laugh:

ETA: I don't think I'll be bringing Esky again (after reading that other thread) and feel awful about our dog park manners to this point. ( I had never even BEEN to a dog park before DOL meets :laugh: )

I'd be up for some beach meets or something like that though.

Edited by Esky the husky

It's just hit 50C out here at Mannum! Not fit for man or beast. I have 9 dogs in lockdown with the AC!

Bloody hell! That's insane. I'm waiting for the news to see what we peaked at in Adelaide but a few hours ago it had got to 41.2C.

42.5C at 04:25pm

Next Sunday Fine. High cloud. Min 16 Max 31

Hi DBT,

I think Jo is planning a little dog meet for the 2nd Sunday - and you could bring a big dog on lead...

Esky

I understand KHM keeping Rosie away because Rosie just sulked after she was stopped from running around, and there were too many dogs in one space for her to cope with. I kept Frosty in lead too because her recall had gone AWOL. But I still had a good time. I didn't see any dogs being torn apart or rushed to the vet, though there were a few loud doggy scoldings, no teeth were used in anger as best I could tell. Nobody ignored their dogs and allowed them to continue being naughty - so I'm not sure what you mean by awful dog manners. It would be helpful if you wrote what your expectations for good dog manners would be at a dog park/on the beach.

The beach wouldn't make a lot of difference to that. Except there might be more room to spread out. You'd still need to keep your dog on lead if it decided not to come back when called and hassle anyone else there (not just DOL people).

All

Had a nice walk on the beach this morning - but it was already 30'C by 8am... eek.

So is that two votes for the beach and one for changing the Sunday?

And a bunch of don't care wheres?

I have always really enjoyed the Adelaide DOL meets but to be honest I am a little hesitant after some of the posts made after the last meet. We had a lot of dogs in a small space but I really didn't think there were any big problems that needed the sort of comments made 3 days after the meet.

Having said that I would prefer the fenced area in Parkside rather than the beach - Jaana has a lot to talk about at the beach :laugh: as for food, balls, onlead ,offlead whatever surely as long as everyone supervises their own dog/s and uses common sense all will be ok.

Mrs Rusty Bucket I was talking specifically about Esky's behaviour not anyone elses and owning up to my own screw ups regarding the meets.

Her play style is a bit too full on for most of the dogs, and there have been times as an owner where I should not have let it continue as long as I did.

I would love to meet someone with a dog with similar play styles and energy for her to have a play with, but we're also working on getting her to play calmly.

If we do come to more meets I think I'll keep her leashed until she can be calm and friendly with everyone

I think Esky would get on great with Whisked Away's Akira... Maybe you could organise a play date.

Frosty doesn't do the big woolly dogs well - they have so much coat and they bite (mouth) a little bit harder than she likes. But she does know how to keep out the way.

I agree sparkycat - I was having trouble figuring out what the fuss was about. The best I could figure was some non-dog type people reported something awful to Westiesmum and Jo felt it was a bit loud. Then again dogs aren't "fighting" in my book if nobody ends up bleeding. Not that dogs and owners screaming and yelling is what I want at a nice relaxed meetup either. But as best I could tell, after some initial adjustments - it went fairly well. I think it will go better if we start off "adjusted" eg all dogs on lead, no toys, no treats, no dog nose height exposed food, and size up the situation before we decide how we want to proceed.

So that's a vote for keeping it at the fenced park.

Frosty doesn't do the big woolly dogs well - they have so much coat and they bite (mouth) a little bit harder than she likes. But she does know how to keep out the way.

You're right, they do mouth a little hard. I think having Halo has been so good for Akira because she's had to become a lot more gentle at mouthing.

:thumbsup: Her and Akira pretty much snubbed each other for whatever reason :laugh:

Yeah they definitely have. Akira is breedist - she plays with everyone except other Huskies! :laugh: That was the reason we decided to get a lappie rather than another Husky.

Akira is breedist - she plays with everyone except other Huskies!

Why do dogs do that? Frosty sometimes refuses to play with dogs I think would be good buddies. No idea why. She also tries to invite dogs that look like her other friends to play and is very disappointed to find that not all black and tan kelpies or beagles like to play with her.

And sometimes it just takes more than one meeting for her to get to know the other dog before she will play.

So are we sticking with what we know next week or doing something different? Or do we want to wait and see if it's a stinker or not. Eg early beach run might be the go if it's going to be 35'C plus.