Cyclone In Nq

Guest bigdogg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the people, all the animals.................. :D

And in a repeat of the Brisbane debacle, the Evacuation centres are not taking pets. So much for animals belonging to those who failed to flee ;). If you ever needed a reason to own a crate and have a place to go this is it. Animals left outside until the last minute and that panic and hide are probably not going to make it.

There's only going to be a small part of qld that hasn't been affected by a natural disater in the last month. after this comes through.

Please stay safe everyone in NQ. It looks like a monster.

Edited by ~Erin~

All the people, all the animals.................. :D

And in a repeat of the Brisbane debacle, the Evacuation centres are not taking pets. So much for animals belonging to those who failed to flee ;). If you ever needed a reason to own a crate and have a place to go this is it. Animals left outside until the last minute and that panic and hide are probably not going to make it.

All the more reason to leave early taking your pets with you and you are right a crate and a crate trained dog, cat whatever is a must......

I can't get my head around the idea that Qantas are flying Australians out of Egypt for free, but in every story I hear about people trying to get out of the impact zones, there are tails of flight prices tripling and quadrupling on the announcement of Yasi's upgrade to a category 5 storm. I can't confirm or deny the stories but it's troubling to think it's happening.

I understand the economics of supply and demand, but it seems to be sheer madness to think that transport, fuel and food can rise in price so quickly in times of crisis for a civilised country. How can anyone who claims to live by the Aussie ethics of mateship and a fair go move to profit from such misery? Why can't they keep prices affordable for everyone, but enforce rationing so nobody can panic bulk-buy?

It's not happening anymore the airports in Cairns and Townsville have been closed.

I know that, they've been closed since 10 am this morning I think - but it's just the concept that has me baffled. I honestly believe, with the predicted severity of this storm, that if there were any empty seats on flights out of cairns and townsville between last night and this morning and the reason for those seats remaining empty was just that the prices had shot up too high - well, the airlines should be fucking ashamed of themselves to be honest.

I'm not expecting anyone to give anything to anyone else for free - we all know the country we live in, we know its hazards, we know the pitfalls yet we still choose to live here. But if a loaf of bread is $4 on Tuesday, and there's a cyclone or a flood or a bushfire on Wednesday, I see no necessity whatsoever for that same loaf of bread to be $8 on Thursday, and I see no necessity whatsoever for the four people ahead of me in the queue to be buying six loaves each. That's really what I'm talking about - this is a cylone. It will be bad. There will be lives lost. There will be billions of dollars of damage. But this is not the end of civilisation as we know it - the rest of the country is on standby to step in within 24 hours, you're not going to be left like New Orleans for weeks with no assistance.

Subseuqently it really disturbs me to think that somewhere behind the scenes, somebody's making a profit off the panic.

Subseuqently it really disturbs me to think that somewhere behind the scenes, somebody's making a profit off the panic.

Someone generally does.

And watch the media move in in a cynical grab for ratings afterwards.. the biggest scavengers of the lot. :D

cairns.com.au

has a facebook site and twitter and are going to try and stay online

I just went to the website and I have to say it made me sad coz the first thing I saw was "Today's the day! First day snaps". Somehow I don't think many kids will be going to school :(

Hope everyone stays safe, I went thru cyclone Larry, and not looking forward to Yasi!!

WHere are you Pebs? My bro is in Mareebra

This is truly an awful cyclone...be safe (run away is the best plan)

ABC link.... http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Yep, put the stuff you care about in the car and drive inland and south. about 800km should do it.

Keep safe people. Staying put sounds like a plan to be avoided IMO. This thing's going to be a strong as Cyclone Tracy and if it hits a residential area, there won't BE homes to take shelter in. They will be ripped apart. Google a photo of Darwin post Tracy for an indication of what to expect. :rainbowbridge: Here's one.

Cyclone_tracy_aerial_view_darwin.jpg

And another

BXHM0344.jpg

You won't see the same level of devastation. I lived in Darwin not long after it was rebuilt from Tracy. There were a number of reasons why the damage was so bad. The main one being was that there were brand new suburbs going up, with buildings not to code (there wasn't really one) and lots of building materials lying around. The cyclone came in through those suburbs first, picked up all the debris and smashed it into the houses of the neighbouring suburbs. This is what caused all of the damage in Darwin. This won't happen again - even in a category 5 cyclone.

You will see the odd building not survive, you won't see whole suburbs flatten.

To say there wont be homes to shelter in is really a panic statement and not useful or accurate.

What will be lost though, is the infrastructure and you can expect loss of power, water and other essential services to FNQ. Power lines and towers will come down, so will phone lines and mobile phone towers.

Just lost contact with my bro in the tablelands - we were on skype.

The tv stations up there have also stopped broadcasting - or at least the tv signal has stopped transmitting.

You won't see the same level of devastation. I lived in Darwin not long after it was rebuilt from Tracy. There were a number of reasons why the damage was so bad. The main one being was that there were brand new suburbs going up, with buildings not to code (there wasn't really one) and lots of building materials lying around. The cyclone came in through those suburbs first, picked up all the debris and smashed it into the houses of the neighbouring suburbs. This is what caused all of the damage in Darwin. This won't happen again - even in a category 5 cyclone.

I hope you're right. I really do. But I don't share your confidence .This thing makes Tracy look like a summer breeze. The storm surge alone is going to be massive.

Edited by poodlefan

I hope you're right. I really do. But I don't share your confidence .This thing makes Tracy look like a summer breeze. The storm surge alone is going to be massive.

Here's what a Cat 5 Cyclone (Andrew) did to Homestead Florida in 1992. I don't think the capability of these kinds of weather systems should be played down.

per_andrew2053109_70058c.jpg

Florida didn't have a building code either in 1992 when it hit (not for cat5). New Orleans did in 2003 - but not for a cat 5.

They didn't learn the lessons of earlier disasters.

BUT - you are right cat 5 cyclone is really really really serious - and I am worried for my family there.

(I will just add that - that Australia's tropical areas are some of the best prepared areas for severe storms in the world). Having said that - it will be bad, but I don't think as bad as some of those previous disasters in terms of absolute destruction. Interesting to note that Hurrican Andrew, caused the greatest amount of damage in central american countries, where buildings weren't strong and where rainfall caused devastating floods and mudslides. That devastation wasn't reported on much to the rest of the world.

I would be worried about any houses in the primary storm surge zones - they aren't likely to survive the wind and wave attack.

Edited by jr_inoz

Here's to a massive injection of good luck to all in FNQ.....thinking of you all. Stay safe!

As am I, along with thousands of the other of the Aussies.

Take care, as best as you are able, and have courage.