Is A Blue Stafford Breeder Unethical?

mr.mister

I can see the appeal but at the end of the day give me a healthy dog that has been bred for quality NOT colour. I prefer brindle SBT anyway :laugh:

Some of the ads for blue SBT advertised here on DOL tick every box in RSG list.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidence - have just been discussing an inexperienced (but registered) person I know breeding blue SBT's in the predatory drift thread....the stud bitch has known agression issues with other dogs (not to scare you there OP - there may be more to her issues that I don't know about)

Anway - The pups are $1500 each.

Edited by all creatures

Before you say anything, think about how you would feel jf your sisters fiancé criticized your brand new puppy, the breeder he bought him from, the breeders practices, the price he paid.

Then say "he's beautiful!" like you mean it and leave it at that.

why ? if one of my family went out and purchased a blue pup, they'd certainly be subject to what I thought.

followed by not to bother to come to me when poo hits the fan, because they have been warned.

I would do the same. How are people ever going to learn if we all keep our mouths shut?

I would say people deliberately breeding for blues would be unethical (especially if they are selling them at highly inflated prices or breeding blue to blue).

For those people who have a litter with an accidental blue popped up from something recessive, I wouldn't have an issue.

I saw an add in ouir local paper the other day for registered "blue staffies". Females were $2000 males $1750. They have a website, so I had a look today. They have had a litter in September, October and December and apparently even though they dont show and never have, the puppies they breed are all show quality. And all come with main papers. Makes me sick.

I saw an add in ouir local paper the other day for registered "blue staffies". Females were $2000 males $1750. They have a website, so I had a look today. They have had a litter in September, October and December and apparently even though they dont show and never have, the puppies they breed are all show quality. And all come with main papers. Makes me sick.

Probably accredited breeders too.

Oops, did I say that ;) :laugh::eek:

We have a new breeder of the Rare Blue Staffy down here, and their prefix has blue in it.....................

I know I am going to be seeing the consequences down the track, non-health tested parents, one dog has had skin issues since around 4 months..........

AARRGGHHHHHH!

Points of interest are

already bought the dog

registered dog

blue is not a disallowed colour

blue can be shown and titled

If it was in my family, I'd say "great pup, congratulations" and let it go. You are not going to change anything by flogging the breeder or the fiance. You will put yourself off side with him (and probably your sister too) for something you cannot change.

If you bash him and he agrees, what will he do with the pup? Get rid of it? Euthanase it? Or - the worst - not be as proud of it as he was, and not like it as much. You'll spoil his pleasure. And dogs are about pleasure - not criticism.

Be happy for him, he bought what he wanted, he is happy, the breeder was registered. He might have problems, and then you can help.

Family relationships are more important than the colour of a dog, and the education needed to happen pre purchase.

And it probably was an accredited breeder :eek:

Before you say anything, think about how you would feel jf your sisters fiancé criticized your brand new puppy, the breeder he bought him from, the breeders practices, the price he paid.

why ? if one of my family went out and purchased a blue pup, they'd certainly be subject to what I thought.

followed by not to bother to come to me when poo hits the fan, because they have been warned.

I would do the same. How are people ever going to learn if we all keep our mouths shut?

Diplomacy, tact and good family relations. There are times when keeping ones mouth shut is a sign of maturity and this is one of those times. The pup's already bought and paid for and no doubt being shown off proudly. What earthly good is criticising the purchase going to do now? That's not educating anyone, that's just making yourself look like a mean-spirited know-all.

Diplomacy, tact and good family relations. There are times when keeping ones mouth shut is a sign of maturity and this is one of those times. The pup's already bought and paid for and no doubt being shown off proudly. What earthly good is criticising the purchase going to do now? That's not educating anyone, that's just making yourself look like a mean-spirited know-all.

Wise words and I agree. The pup is still an unknown quantity too I would think?

Although I do wonder if people who are prepared to pay that much for a SBT maybe because of it's colour - really know much about the breed? After my own experiences I know now that there is much more, that is different, to owning a SBT than owning a sheepdog for eg.

OP - maybe the best thing you can do is help them raise a SBT with behaviour etc, to be proud of... :thumbsup:

:o:( I guess you wouldn't like me very much then!

I don't like anyone who thinks it's their god-given right to spoil someone elses pleasure in their new pet with unsolicited opinions and criticisms.

keep in mind for future reference, if someone didn't ask you or consult with you, they probably don't need or want your opinion.

keep in mind for future reference, if someone didn't ask you or consult with you, they probably don't need or want your opinion.

Or they didn't realise they were getting ripped off big time (IF THEY WERE IN THIS CASE). Some people really do not have a clue and only take in what they like and what backs up what they already believe and want.

I don't like anyone who thinks it's their god-given right to spoil someone elses pleasure in their new pet with unsolicited opinions and criticisms.

Yep, but the known "dog tragic" in the social set will be the person who fields ALL the questions if things aren't going smoothly. Amazing how your opinion is valued THEN. People seem to think its their God given right to have problems solved for free when impulse driven, poorly researched puppy purchases start having issues.

I fill the dog tragic role at work. Have helped a couple of folk find lovely pups from great breeders. However, no mention of the recent purchase of a puppy to me by one of my co-workers. An oodle, from a well known local puppy farmer, health issues from the get go. I then get told about it.

Its been through ring worm (present when purchased), eating/digestive difficulties, toilet training, separation anxiety, barking, come into season :o and I've helped as much as I can with every issue.

First conversation started "I know you won't approve but... " and the requests for help keep coming. I keep helping but after one thank you I said, "just do me a favour and next time buy a health tested dog from a responsible breeder - you'd have had help like this from the start".

I'm fairly confident that's where any future dog will come from.

And the latest? From a fellow dog tragic in her social set? Oodle bought and after getting home and bonding, owner discovers after things seeming a bit off and a trip to the vet that the pup is completely blind. Pretty hard to say positive things about that.

So OP, start researching skin issues and allergies because my guess is you'll be fielding questions about it from the owner soon enough.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't know where you got this from? :o

I hardly know the guy. I'm not going to bash him, or criticize him, nor berate him from wherever the hell he got the pup. However I don't think I should be forced to keep my mouth shut on issues that I think matter. Doesn't mean I'm going to bash someone around the ears with it!

Quite a number of times I've seen a new DOLer post about their brand new papered blue Stafford, and get a million and one replies about why they shouldn't have bought it. What's the allowance here that I don't seem to have?

And again. I hardly know the guy and don't believe I said I would even be confronting him on the issue. So all those telling me to leave him alone, chill. :) I haven't uttered a word to him about it.

My question was, "Is a Blue Stafford Breeder Unethical?" - not "Should I go and verbally bash my sister's fiance?". For crying out loud.

Edited by alexhegyesi