Is A Blue Stafford Breeder Unethical?

mr.mister

So, I heard recently that my sister's fiance went and bought himself a stafford pup from a registered breeder. I was very impressed, until my mother excitedly told me that the puppy was blue. I automatically had sirens going in my head, but then thought I'd go and visit the ever wise DOL before I said anything stupid. :laugh:

I have no idea what this breeder charged for the pup, so I can't make a comment on whether he was ripped off or not. Is a breeder who specifically breeds blue staffords unethical, or should I be proud of him that he went to a registered breeder rather than a backyarder? I am aware that blues can't be shown, and that due to their popularity and 'rareness' :rolleyes: that there is a lack of actual quality within the colour - so a breeder specifically breeding for the colour wouldn't be aiming for breed betterment. Also, I've heard of a number of allergy and skin issues related to blues?

On the other hand, should I just be happy that he's gone to someone who I presume health tests their stock and somewhat goes by the book? I don't know. I'm confused. :vomit:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breeding for color is unethical. Breeding for the sake of making some $$$ is unethical. Selling pups for ludicrous amounts because they are a 'rare' color is unethical. Selling pups to people with the statement 'will make a good stud dog' is unethical.

Unfortunately a lot of blue staffords breeders do one, or all, of the above.

Blues can be shown it is an accepted 'color' (its a dilute) but not many conform to the standard so you don't see many in the ring.

Blue is not "rare" anymore! It seems every second staffy you see these days is "blue".

Breeding for colour alone is unethical, especially when there are health problems associated with the particular colour.

And blue staffys very rarely actually look like a well-bred stafford should.

But just because the pup is blue doesn't mean the breeder is bad and/or unethical. Non blue-blue matings can produce blues, yeah?

Warning signs are if both parents are blue, the price was exorbitant and the kennel name has blue in it.

Sigh. Yes, I thought so too. :rolleyes:

It's hard enough to get people to buy from registered breeders. It only confuses the hell out of them when you tell them they shouldn't buy from specific registered breeders as well.

I thought blues weren't able to be shown because it's physically impossible for them to have a black nose?

Ruthless: I am hoping that that is the case, as I don't know the prefix or the heritage of the pup. Hoping.

Edited by alexhegyesi

But just because the pup is blue doesn't mean the breeder is bad and/or unethical. Non blue-blue matings can produce blues, yeah?

Warning signs are if both parents are blue, the price was exorbitant and the kennel name has blue in it.

I second this. Just because the pup is blue, doesn't mean the breeder is breeding blue pups deliberately.

Be proud of the guy he has tried to get a puppy from the right place. Don't give him any grief about the colour either. Puppy may be fine. I've taught several that haven't got bad skin issues. Also had several clients that had traditional coloured staffies that did have skin issues.

Is a blue Stafford breeder unethical? For me it depends on the individual.

If they are breeding for blue - absolutely. If they happen to have a random blue appear - not necessarily.

And they can be shown even though they can't have a black nose because the absence of a black nose isn't a disqualification, just a fault like thousands of other faults (some of which might actually matter to the health and welfare of the dog :rolleyes:)

Thats just the tip of the iceberg and the following should ring alarm bells too

bred specifically for family pets

the entire litter is on the main register

blue to blue mating

claim the pup is a pied when it's simply a black brindle with a white chest and possibly socks

the non blue pups in a litter are heavily discounted (meaning they are sold closer to the going rate for an SBT pup)

"carry the blue genes"

"carry the blue pied gene"

parents are in excess of 20kgs some 25kg's or more and it's promoted as a good thing

"english staffy"

blue makes a perfect show dog

none of the pups are line bred and that's promoted as a plus

when you can clearly see patches of hair missing in puppy pics (or any pics)

when they can't spell "conformation"

generations of blue

big bitch with a massive head

blue has a black nose

when all they can talk about from a potential litter is the perfect colour they might produce

when the majority of what they say about their adult dogs, consists of it's coat colour and "personality"

"has an excellent pedigree" with not a CH, CD, ET or any other title to be seen

big chunky bitch with a head like a boy

Before you say anything, think about how you would feel jf your sisters fiancé criticized your brand new puppy, the breeder he bought him from, the breeders practices, the price he paid.

Then say "he's beautiful!" like you mean it and leave it at that.

Before you say anything, think about how you would feel jf your sisters fiancé criticized your brand new puppy, the breeder he bought him from, the breeders practices, the price he paid.

why ? if one of my family went out and purchased a blue pup, they'd certainly be subject to what I thought.

followed by not to bother to come to me when poo hits the fan, because they have been warned.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg and the following should ring alarm bells too

bred specifically for family pets

the entire litter is on the main register

blue to blue mating

claim the pup is a pied when it's simply a black brindle with a white chest and possibly socks

the non blue pups in a litter are heavily discounted (meaning they are sold closer to the going rate for an SBT pup)

"carry the blue genes"

"carry the blue pied gene"

parents are in excess of 20kgs some 25kg's or more and it's promoted as a good thing

"english staffy"

blue makes a perfect show dog

none of the pups are line bred and that's promoted as a plus

when you can clearly see patches of hair missing in puppy pics (or any pics)

when they can't spell "conformation"

generations of blue

big bitch with a massive head

blue has a black nose

when all they can talk about from a potential litter is the perfect colour they might produce

when the majority of what they say about their adult dogs, consists of it's coat colour and "personality"

"has an excellent pedigree" with not a CH, CD, ET or any other title to be seen

big chunky bitch with a head like a boy

I know I shouldn't, but some of them made me laugh out loud :grouphug:

why ? if one of my family went out and purchased a blue pup, they'd certainly be subject to what I thought.

followed by not to bother to come to me when poo hits the fan, because they have been warned.

Oh I have no doubt at all that you would.

My friends just bought a blue SBT puppy as well and at first I was a bit iffy but they then said that got him from a registered breeder and most of the litter were the regular brindle colour and there was only two blue pups and I'm pretty sure they were charging th same for all pups, so I guess not all people selling blue puppies would have to necessarily be bad or unethical...