Eating Dog Poo

My dog has started eating dog poo at the park in the last month.

She doesn't eat her own poo, only other dogs poo.

She has a good diet which has a fair amount of variety, bones 3-4 times a week, sardines, salmon and tuna a few times a week (for her skin), occaisonal scraps and premium dry food (Advance puppy).

Both the guide dogs and the vets didn't really have any advice that helped. They suggested splitting her meal and feeding her twice a day instead of once a day to help her feel more full.

Could it be a nutritional deficiency or is she just greedy (she is a lab)? She is on prednisolone every second day for ongoing skin issues, which could be contributing to her "greediness" I suppose, but at the moment it is not really an option to take her off it.

Has anyone has this experience before and does anyone have any advice to help stop this ?

I have a bitch who has done this all her life and she's nine years old now, it's never done her any harm. I try to keep an eye on her and chase her off if she finds poo, but she usually manages to eat some on her daily run. If it worries you keep her on leash or use a muzzle, otherwise just make sure she's wormed regularly.

Macrolone does make them extremely hungry and this will certainly be contributing to the problem.

My young boy does it too! He has started with cat poo, so I have to clean cat litter before he comes inside, as he thinks its GREAT!

Then he did it once on a walk, so I had to pry it out of his mouth.

I don't actually think he does it because it tastes good, he doesn't gulp it down like he does good food, so I don't know.

My boy is also fed twice daily and doesn't have any ongoing medication. He doesn't eat his own poo or our other dogs.

Its a gross habit!!

Christie

Lucy & Dash

thats a very varied diet for a dog with skin problems

She may not be digesting fully or she may just be really hungry from the prednisolone, have you tried adding protexin to her food? Muzzle her when out and about or teach her the leave command.

Edited by Nekhbet

muzzle her at the park.... lord knows what nasties she is putting in her system!!!!

A jest perse......... who is going to clean the muzzle. Been there done that many years ago. :thumbsup:

Dont worry OP your just one of a million other dog owners who's dog's do this around the world.

There are a million and reasons as to why dogs do it.

I have a Poo Eater, he goes through phases of eating my other dogs poos but will always eat animal poo at the park given half the chance.

He is on a high quality diet with supplementation where neccessary.

I feel your pain. I've read so many of the panicked/grossed out DOL threads that go: "Why is my dog eating poo????" and I used to feel so relieved that Elbie had no desire to eat dog poo – he actually appears quite revolted by it and will avoid it like the plague. I was a bit grossed out when he ate sheep poo but all the Kelpie breeders laughed at me and said: "It's basically just grass!"

To my revulsion, a few weeks ago, Hoover decided he wanted to eat Elbie's poo :thumbsup: Absolutely no reason why. All we could do was:

1. clean up the poo even more regularly than we do

2. reprimand him verbally when we caught him doing it and shoo him away

He seems to have stopped now. Generally he's very sensitive to correction so I'm guessing that for Hoover it was a curiosity thing and he has now lost interest in it. Good luck with Mindy!

Just in case anyone is having the same problem, i thought I would do a quick update:

Problem seems to be rectified by a change of diet from Pal puppy to Royal Canin puppy dry food. She is now back to only sniffing the poo and not eating it. YAY!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

:eek:

I am having a good laugh! I also have a dog that likes a bita poo occassionally...esp digging up the cats!

Vet said it's a puppy thing, and yes it has waned alot. If she goes near ANYTHING she finds at the park a quick UH-UH form me and she leaves it (Thank God!)

Why do dogs think finding something on the ground is a real gem?? :eek:

Seems to be a common prob.

• 4 weeks later...

Tess just ate her own poo again GRR so frustrating it is driving me nuts!!! went to get the scoop and by the time i got back she had eaten a huge bit! wtf

like seriously i just fed you dog!

i don't want her head, mouth or body near me haha no matter how cute she is !

I'm so over it! the other pup doesn't do it follow by example!

Gawd, having Pal puppy would make a dog eat dog poo!! for the nutrients :hug:

Adding paw paw or pineapple , just a little, to their diet should help. Worth a go anyhow, and yes, muzzle at the park :laugh:

Echoing Jed, pineapple juice can be effective. I've also found Thrive D (gastrointestinal supplement) to be very effective also. Only problem is that you need to feed it to the dog whose poo is being eaten. That makes it hard when you are down the park......

Reading this got me to remembering when my sister and I had our Aussie pups down at the park, definaitly no fear of the other pup eating my pups poop. My pup starts to poop, other pup goes over for a sniff, drops its ears and has a look of horror as it turns away and makes a quick retreat, starts frothing at the mouth and proceeds to start being sick. Mmm, my pups poop must have been mighty bad to get that reaction. We still laugh about it more than 6 years later I only wish I had a video camera to catch the moment, especially the look on the dogs face. :laugh:

Hi Raelene, you are supposed to feed pineapple or pawpaw to the poo eater ... maybe to the one who deposits the poo as well, but I hadn't heard that. The enzymes in those fruits are supposed to replace whatever is missing in the dog's nutrition :laugh:

Sasha had a liking for cat poo and duck poo...

After a few reprimands, she now remembers that it's not on. But yeah, I've gotta be taking notice and gotta move quickly - cause she can scoop it up and gobble it in mere seconds.

Only very rarely now does she 'forget' and try it, but otherwise we have poo-free walks now!!