Dog Doors For Large Dog

Red Fox

I am after a dog door, large to extra large in size, to suit a Ridgeback (approx 27" at the shoulder).

My first preference would be a door that could fit into a sliding security door, though I don't seem to be able to find anything big enough.. Second preference is fitted into a wall.

I do like the patio style doors too but am thinking that the largest size once installed would not leave a big enough opening for the people? (the space is approx 86cm wide with the glass door fully opened). I do not wish to spend more than $400 if I can help it either.

I am currently looking at the Staywell XL Aluminium pet doors http://www.petdoor.net.au/index.php?option...4&Itemid=10 Does anyone have one? Are they any good? Expensive or difficult to install?

Any other suggestions on what to buy or where to get it from. I'm willing to buy from O/S too if it works out cheaper.

Paople can fit through smaller doggy doors (or they use children) ... so anything big enough for the dog would definately be big enough for a person.

Or they can just break a window or crowbar a door off its hinges. Locked doors only stop honest people. Most thieves will avoid a house with a dog though.

If you lock your gates and have a security system, a big dog door shouldnt be a problem IMO.

Paople can fit through smaller doggy doors (or they use children) ... so anything big enough for the dog would definately be big enough for a person.

Or they can just break a window or crowbar a door off its hinges. Locked doors only stop honest people. Most thieves will avoid a house with a dog though.

If you lock your gates and have a security system, a big dog door shouldnt be a problem IMO.

Theives broke into my house and I have a teeny dog door (mini schnauzer size). They must have sent a child in. I have locks etc and my guys are very good watch dogs - they have scared delivery men off! The police said that some theives specifically target houses with dogs because that = dog door. That said, the OP has a RR so that might stop them in their tracks.

I wonder if insurance will cover you if you have a large dog door? They covered me for mine, but I suspect that it could be a good outclause for them.

Exactly. If someone wants to break in they will.

I had this argument with a local supplier today who told me that the biggest door they could sell me was 25cm x 40cm because "any bigger and a person can climb through". Well that's all well and good but my dog won't fit through it either!

I'm trying to find one too, but sadly I don't think I can find one suitable for Kyojin, that I can stop the cats from using. One of those magnetic collar ones might work, but I'm not too sure. Our crappy fly screen laundry door is broken anyway, so we're looking at replacing the door so I figured I may as well try and get a doggy door for KJ.

I have the XL Pig in Mud door that fits into my sliding door. I have a Rotty and Lab and foster large breeds including many Great Dane x's and RR x's. They have all fit through it.

Were you talking about the gap for humans once the door is there? Yes, there is plenty of room to go in and out easily. I have barge ass and I have no probs:).

Yeah, a burglar could fit through the dog door but if they have already gone into a yard with three big dogs they were

going to break in anyway.

I have the XL Pig in Mud door that fits into my sliding door. I have a Rotty and Lab and foster large breeds including many Great Dane x's and RR x's. They have all fit through it.

Were you talking about the gap for humans once the door is there? Yes, there is plenty of room to go in and out easily. I have barge ass and I have no probs:).

Yeah, a burglar could fit through the dog door but if they have already gone into a yard with three big dogs they were

Yep, I was a bit worried that the opening would be too narrow. Especially with kids bringing bikes in and out etc. I measured the space with the glass door fully opened and it was only 86cm... I'm not sure how much the XL PIM door would take up of that?

Yep, I was a bit worried that the opening would be too narrow. Especially with kids bringing bikes in and out etc. I measured the space with the glass door fully opened and it was only 86cm... I'm not sure how much the XL PIM door would take up of that?

Ohhh, it might be a bit hard for things like that. I have 46cm left to fit through. You just have to have arms long enought to put the stuff out the front of you when you got through rather than beside.

I love my door! I just used to leave it open so it has been great to be able to block out heat/cold/flies finally. They are very easy to install and would be easy to take in and out if needed.

Oooh good link and looks like they do custom sizes. I am in SA but not in Adelaide though :laugh:

I wonder if they are a franchise because we used a company of (I think) the same name or similar in Vic. I checked with our insurance company and they had no issues. (Our is large enough for a golden retriever - these days I have to cater for grandkids, kids & their dogs!)

Few yrs ago i couldnt find anything big enough for my bullmastiff X so i just had a Spud sized hole cut into the side of my house and screwed heavy duty thick plastic stuff above the opening as a flap. I figured anyone keen enough to crawl thru the dog door to rob the house was going to find a way in regardless.

We have the largest dog door I could find. It's a Staywell XL from memory (but it's been a long time since we bought it).

It required cutting a hole in our wooden laundry door to install it.

I figure we are always going to have large dogs and if we move I'll replace the door and take the one with the dog door already in it, to our new house.

We have the largest dog door I could find. It's a Staywell XL from memory (but it's been a long time since we bought it).

It required cutting a hole in our wooden laundry door to install it.

I figure we are always going to have large dogs and if we move I'll replace the door and take the one with the dog door already in it, to our new house.

That's the one I was looking at to be installed in a wall. Sounds like they hold up well then? ;)

Can someone who has an XL Pigs In Mud door please measure the width for me? I can find details on the flap size and height but nothing on the full width of the panel.

Exactly. If someone wants to break in they will.

I had this argument with a local supplier today who told me that the biggest door they could sell me was 25cm x 40cm because "any bigger and a person can climb through". Well that's all well and good but my dog won't fit through it either!

Hi, I have a Staywell fitted to my solid wood exterior door (the actual size of the flap is an A4 sheet!). I have a large dobexrottie and she fits through with no problems whatsoever, my smaller dobexkelpie easily jumps through. My larger dog is ridgeback size.

My mum has a patio dog door (fitted into a sliding door) for her golden retriever and again, the size of the flap is an A4 sheet size and all dogs easily fit through it and have no troubles using either of them.

Hope this helps.