Dog Doors For Large Dog

Red Fox

I just cut a big square in my security screen door ;) anyone who does go in through the dogs door will probably have a heart attack because my sibe very quietly watches you don't see him until you see those wolfy eyes staring at you :laugh: then if they really wanted to pinch stuff I'd only have to go round the pawn shops looking for stuff that has husky hair embedded in it :eek:

Hi SecretKei

Some of us Dolers met this guy at the Doggy day on the beach last year...

http://www.doors4paws.com.au/

His name is Scotty, and he's a licenced builder, but likes building custom dog doors and the price didn't seem too different to buying the big door at bunnings.

I of course - need a door first...

Yep, someone sent me the link. Except I'm not in Adelaide so he wouldn't be able to install one for me. (Unless he likes REALLY long drives ;) ).

We have the largest dog door I could find. It's a Staywell XL from memory (but it's been a long time since we bought it).

It required cutting a hole in our wooden laundry door to install it.

I figure we are always going to have large dogs and if we move I'll replace the door and take the one with the dog door already in it, to our new house.

That's the one I was looking at to be installed in a wall. Sounds like they hold up well then? :eek:

We've had it for a bit over 8 years. The rubber flap that came with it detoriated a year or so ago but we just went to bunnings and found something to replace it with.

Paople can fit through smaller doggy doors (or they use children) ... so anything big enough for the dog would definately be big enough for a person.

Or they can just break a window or crowbar a door off its hinges. Locked doors only stop honest people. Most thieves will avoid a house with a dog though.

If you lock your gates and have a security system, a big dog door shouldnt be a problem IMO.

Exactly. If someone wants to break in they will.

I had this argument with a local supplier today who told me that the biggest door they could sell me was 25cm x 40cm because "any bigger and a person can climb through". Well that's all well and good but my dog won't fit through it either!

We had a large - Afghan size - dog door made in a screen door. We got the same statements all the time from people - usually tradies. "Won't people get through there?" My response was always "if someone crawls through the dog door they deserve everything they get on the other side." When they thought about this they usually laughed and agreed. :laugh:

If people can't work out the size of the dog from the size of the dog door then they will be in for a surprise when they get in. :eek:

Width is 39cm but approx 2cm of that sits inside your door frame so around 37cm

Thanks Burkes :D

I have noticed a couple of dog doors for sale in the For Sale section of this website.

I'll have a look. Do you mean the marketplace (OT) or the for sale section on the main page?

Paople can fit through smaller doggy doors (or they use children) ... so anything big enough for the dog would definately be big enough for a person.

I remember quite a few years ago someone I new in the US who had a dog door for their giant (guardian) breed dog had a sign over it for would-be burglars:

THIS DOOR IS FOR A DOG

THINK ABOUT IT

They never had any burglars that I know of, and any burglar that was stupid enough to try would have got what they deserved IMO :(

I remember quite a few years ago someone I new in the US who had a dog door for their giant (guardian) breed dog had a sign over it for would-be burglars:

THIS DOOR IS FOR A DOG

THINK ABOUT IT

They never had any burglars that I know of, and any burglar that was stupid enough to try would have got what they deserved IMO :(

Classic! :(

I have the XL Pig in Mud door that fits into my sliding door. I have a Rotty and Lab and foster large breeds including many Great Dane x's and RR x's. They have all fit through it.

Were you talking about the gap for humans once the door is there? Yes, there is plenty of room to go in and out easily. I have barge ass and I have no probs:).

Yeah, a burglar could fit through the dog door but if they have already gone into a yard with three big dogs they were

going to break in anyway.

I have one of these too. My great dane fits through fine and she is 32" high.

Thanks Burkes :o

I have noticed a couple of dog doors for sale in the For Sale section of this website.

I'll have a look. Do you mean the marketplace (OT) or the for sale section on the main page?

Main page section :)

Thanks Burkes :o

Main page section :)

Thanks, found it. Good price too but the postage costs to SA would be very high... I'll look into it though :o

In my previous place I had the Staywell type dog door - can't remember size but the 'flap' the dogs went through was about A4 paper size, or a smidge bigger. It was installed in the solid laundry door and came with a hard white plastic insert you could close it off with.

None of my RR's ever had trouble getting through it. A staffy and huskies also used it with no probs - tho was a bit of a leap for the staffy :cry:

Hope Kei is going well :cry:

In my previous place I had the Staywell type dog door - can't remember size but the 'flap' the dogs went through was about A4 paper size, or a smidge bigger. It was installed in the solid laundry door and came with a hard white plastic insert you could close it off with.

None of my RR's ever had trouble getting through it. A staffy and huskies also used it with no probs - tho was a bit of a leap for the staffy ;)

Hope Kei is going well ;)

Thanks Vanessa :)

And yes, Kei is doing well ...Or as well as a Ridgie can do in this weather, currently sprawled out under the aircon :)

When we built this place the guy who supplied the screen doors actually made the screen door with a flap big enough for the cats to go in and out

It might be worth ringing around and asking if they will take the screen off and cut one in for you?