Signs/sympotms Of Heat Stroke?

BMAK

please list them, the heat here is unbearable and the dogs have had to be outside part of the day today (understelter, ice cubes in water wet the ground and laid damp towels out) and yesterday due to work and then brought straight into the a/c and colder house as soon as i arrived home.

and i could tell she wasn't well last night and still the same today.

she looks lathargic, slow when walking back legs weak, vomiting small vial and eating grass of what i have seen, looks to be weak like an old dog.

what can/could this be will be going to the vet tomorrow if no improvements.

can rapid temp change cause these symptoms my other dog just seems to be bothered a little by the weather but he jumps into the pool to cool down and seems 100% fine, not showing anything like my other dog.

she ate warm raw meat at dinner last night she ate pretty slow and the heat wasn't nice so not sure if it can be food poisoning??

atm both are inside on tiles laying/resting/sleeping but she seems in a bit of discomfort by the heat.

or would this just being a case or needed rest after being sick like us?

suggestions please

# Excessive panting

# Pale gums, bright red tongue

# Disorientation and your dog doesn't respond to his name

# Increased heart rate

# Thick saliva

# Vomiting

# Breathing difficulties

# Collapse

I will call the vets and talk to them about it.

I wouldn't muck about- it could be a tummy bug or anything No ticks in your area?I would suggest you get her to the vets.

All our working dogs are outside- (no icecubes) ..and they are fine ..heatstroke ,with the wonderful measures you have in place, shouldn't be too much of a problem, IMO.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

# Excessive panting

# Pale gums, bright red tongue

# Disorientation and your dog doesn't respond to his name

# Increased heart rate

# Thick saliva

# Vomiting

# Breathing difficulties

# Collapse

I will call the vets and talk to them about it.

Agree - call your vet for advice - don't wait.

After collapse comes coma - which if you are lucky enough and your dog survives - there is a risk of brain damage.

Our dog died of a heart attack at the vets straight after being resus'd (so it pays to act fast if you get to the collapse stage - transpost them with wet towels and ice packs around their tummy etc)

(not that you are at that stage of course OP - but it helps to know all you can just in case it ever happens - it's one of the most common events Vets see with dogs in summer..)

i can add more to the list

* she has slower breathing then normal, compared to my male dog who is breathing like he has been running around.

* gums normal pink colour.

*reactive to hand movements to the face and eyes so responsive.

*still eating food but a little bit slower than normal. (her normal is slow anyway)

*edited to add she obviously isn't that darn sick as she has made her way onto the lounge the bugger! sprawled out! ahh well

Edited by catherine.b

Tick? I would go to the vet. If it is a tick, they can be deadly if not treated in time. Mine were outside until lunchtime as I was out, with water bowls and shade but no ice, and they are fine (definitely enjoying being inside under aircon though!)

i have checked her over for tick/s can't see any and we have never had any dogs get one in the 5 years we have had dogs.

so not sure that our suburb is a tick area.

will be home the rest of the week so easy enough to keep close watch.

i witnessed a heat stroke victim, no pale gums at all.

Very high blood pressure

Weak back legs

Vomiting

Lethargy

Not with it

Wanting to hide

Was put on a drip for an hour and took a few more days to recover.

This dog was being exercised on a hot night and was very overweight.

Took a full week to get back to completely normal.

The symptoms you describe were exactly the same as the dog I know.

keep running cold water on the legs and back, or dump in a cool bath, (not Icy)

You need to do this for a long time, not just 10 minutes or so.

I wouldnt be waiting around, it could be just about anything ranging from fairly mild to horrendous outcome. Heat stress is a definite possibility, but so is gastro, tick, snake, other toxin, the list is just too endless. Is she normally kept inside on hot day? If so she may not have had a chance to acclimatise to the gradually warming weather.

Also sign of dehydration is lack of elasticity in skin.

Gently pull up a fold of skin where it is fleshy/loose (near neck is good). If it is slow to retract or bounce back to original postion then that is a good indication of dehydration.

Gently pull up a fold of skin where it is fleshy/loose (near neck is good). If it is slow to retract or bounce back to original postion then that is a good indication of dehydration.

From memory they have to be quite dehydrated (not just a little but starting to get to problem levels) for this method to indicate dehydration.

From memory they have to be quite dehydrated (not just a little but starting to get to problem levels) for this method to indicate dehydration.

Yeah, on a drip or nasal drench for horse. Even though I have a nursing background, I have no objectivity when it comes to my kids or animals. It's either the Doctor or the Vet if I'm in any doubt. I operate on the better safe the sorry motto, helps keep what little sanity I have left intact. :D

If you are anywhere within 150k's of the east coast of NSW then you are in a paralysis tick area. Symptoms scream tick to me. They can be found almost anywhere on your dog or may have already dropped off. Don't wait and see how the dog is a vet is probably the best option.

If you are not in a tick area get your dog in the bath with cold water around its feet and keep its belly wet. If no significant improvement then don't muck around as heat stroke can be fatal as well.

One of my dogs suffered mild heat stroke after chasing birds on a warm, humid day, temperature was only mid 20's. He was panting profusely, began to stagger and tried to vomit. Luckily there was water nearby and I was able to cool him down, he recovered in about 5 minutes. He wasn't running for very long, but it came on very quickly, my fault entirely for allowing him to do it. It was a good lesson to learn.

I would be vet today. It may not be the heat and I know nothing about ticks, but she is sounding very very out of sorts

I agree. I would take her to the vet.

If it is heat stroke it's not something to take a wait and see approach with. Heat stroke kills. I'm not in a tick area so know nothing about them.

Just one question. Why did you feed your dog warm raw meat on such a stinking hot day?

Edited by cavNrott

I would be vet today. It may not be the heat and I know nothing about ticks, but she is sounding very very out of sorts

I agree. I would take her to the vet.

If it is heat stroke it's not something to take a wait and see approach with. Heat stroke kills. I'm not in a tick area so know nothing about them.

Just one question. Why did you feed your dog warm raw meat on such a stinking hot day?

the meat was given half frozen since it was really hot not warm i would have to be stupid to do that haha, and she took a while to eat it so it had mostly thawed out.

i gave her a cold bath touched every inch of her with no ticks and she seemed a more energetic when it came to the towel dry. Also she is a lot more responsive lifting her head up competely and her ears aswell and turning her body and not lying flat on her side.

it sounds to be heat stroke/dehydration to me.

she will be take to the vets tomorrow if she hasn't recovered to her normal state but i already see signs of improvement, like i said before is she was affect by a tick she wouldn't be able to get onto the lounge she is a tuff cookie.

it sounds to be heat stroke/dehydration to me.

she will be take to the vets tomorrow if she hasn't recovered to her normal state but i already see signs of improvement, ...

Haven't read every post and am on my way out to training classes, so just a quick response from me - but my understanding is that heat stroke can continue to cause internal damage even when the dog has been cooled down and seemingly looking better. Don't mean to scare you and perhaps I am wrong, but if you haven't already I'd recommend you contact your Vet (or the emergency Vet) to check their advice.

Edited by Erny