Most Effective For Flea Treatment?!?

rivergem

At the moment, fleas are driving both me, and my 3 dogs crazy!!

I have 2 labradors and a cocker spaniel (also have 2 cats) and live on 5 acres - making it difficult to treat the surrounding environment.

I have tried numerous ways to get rid of - and keep rid of - fleas this summer.... but I'm yet to find something to work :D

When they first became crazy, I flea-bombed the house, treated all the dogs with Frontline Spray and washed all their bedding.

This worked for a little while - but they are back in droves. I have used Capstar (works for a day maybe, fleas just jump back on). I washed all 3 thoroughly yesterday where many dead fleas came up. Today they are back (especially for my poor Cocker Spaniel boy).

I regularly vacuum and use a flea brush on all the dogs but it seems to no avail.

Can anyone please advise on products they have used for fleas this Summer and found to be effective? And any other tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Are you treating the cats because they will be carrying them too even though they may not show symptoms. I don't have fleas here, but I've used Advantage occasionally in the past and have found it to be very good.

I have 2 labradors and a cocker spaniel (also have 2 cats) and live on 5 acres - making it difficult to treat the surrounding environment.

I have tried numerous ways to get rid of - and keep rid of - fleas this summer.... but I'm yet to find something to work :(

When they first became crazy, I flea-bombed the house, treated all the dogs with Frontline Spray and washed all their bedding.

This worked for a little while - but they are back in droves. I have used Capstar (works for a day maybe, fleas just jump back on). I washed all 3 thoroughly yesterday where many dead fleas came up. Today they are back (especially for my poor Cocker Spaniel boy).

I regularly vacuum and use a flea brush on all the dogs but it seems to no avail.

Can anyone please advise on products they have used for fleas this Summer and found to be effective? And any other tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rivergum have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar mixed 50/50 with water, make it up in a spray bottle, suggestion I found to use a 500ml spray bottle, then spray on the dogs & bedding oh dont forget the cats toooo they wont like it but stiff :( (my cat hates it)

I also mix the ACV in their water bucket too, it helps with tear staining

I agree Apple Cider Vinegar keeps my furkids free of fleas. Another option which is not chemical is this one, http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

I haven't tried it myself be have read many good reports about it on a natural dogcare site. Always use human grade and it works by affecting the fleas exterior and dehydrating them, it can also be used orally for intestinal worms.

Thanks guys.

I have treated the cats, although they are probably due again now so will do them all again when I get the Advocate through.

I have been mixing Apple Cider Vinegar in their biccies for about 3 weeks now - started spraying the dogs about a week ago although not really all over so will see if that helps too.

:o

I have tried numerous ways to get rid of - and keep rid of - fleas this summer.... but I'm yet to find something to work :o

Thanks guys.

I have treated the cats, although they are probably due again now so will do them all again when I get the Advocate through.

I have been mixing Apple Cider Vinegar in their biccies for about 3 weeks now - started spraying the dogs about a week ago although not really all over so will see if that helps too.

:(

Frontline flea spray isn't a permanent prevention neither is CAPSTAR they need to be repeated every day if that's all you are going to use. Advocate or any other flea product needs to be given every month not just as you remember for them to work if you have fleas that bad. Advocate also prevents heart worm so your pets should be heart worm tested before first application. The appropriate Advocate should be given for the weight of your pet like over 25kgs or what ever, as well a seperate one for your cats. Advocate is supposed to kill adult fleas but giving a Capstar first and treating all the surrounding enviroment plus doing all your animals at the same time is the only real sure way to get rid of a bad infestation of fleas.

I have had my 6 dogs on Advocate and now sentinel spectrum and I often bring home dumped greyhounds for GAP who are full of fleas and so far they

haven't spread to my dogs because they are treated as per directions on the packet. Below is a site with a few tips to get rid of fleas from your enviroment and then put them on a permanent preventative product.

I haven't used ACV so can't help with that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2439_get-rid-fleas.html

Thanks for your comments jensgreys and others!

I don't just treat when I remember - I mark it on the calender, on which when I checked the cats are due next week - was just too lazy to go check at the time of writing the post.

I also am aware that you need to treat as per directions for any one product - I have been using Frontline for the past few years, although found it's efficy this Summer to be almost at 0.

Thank you for the tip re: the heartworm - I will take them to the vets to be tested before I will use the Advocate.

@MarieC - I have heard of Comfortis, although not too sure of the specifics, here's a link :cry:

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/comfortis-product/

I have been told by my vets that comfortis is a fantastic product. But it isn't for everydog unfortunately. It's a tablet, and needs to be given when your dog has a full stomach. Vomitting is one of the main side effects. Unfortunately my dog would still vomit after every dose, so no good here. But my vet did say to give it a year or so and try again, it might be something my boy out grows. He has FAD and I was recommended to use Comfortis and Sentinel together for him, but wasn't to be unfortunately.

But definitely everydog is different, so might be worth a look at.

Good luck, fleas are just nasty, yukky :cry:

Frontline flea spray isn't a permanent prevention neither is CAPSTAR they need to be repeated every day if that's all you are going to use.

Actually frontline spray works very well for fleas and ticks ... for fleas it lasts up to 6 weeks and ticks 3 weeks - I treat my 6 dogs and 2 cats with frontline spray every 3 weeks as we are in a bad paralysis tick area. The products you are using will be working but the dogs are being reinfected.

Comfortis is fantastic for severe flea problems, but cannot be used on cats and does not control ticks so if you are in a tick area you will need to use something else for the ticks aswell.

Make sure you keep the cats up to date aswell and remember what you see on your pet is only 5 % of the actual flea population :cry: