What Do You Expect To Pay...

Danielle

And of course its not my groomer who I often recommend. She charges me $50.00/dog which I think is really reasonable for the wonderful job she does. But I think thats a multiple 3 dog discount for which I'm really grateful and I have been going there a long time!! :cry:

That's a very good price. I charge around 65-75 for Westies and don't give discounts for multiple dogs. :cry:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course its not my groomer who I often recommend. She charges me $50.00/dog which I think is really reasonable for the wonderful job she does. But I think thats a multiple 3 dog discount for which I'm really grateful and I have been going there a long time!! :)

That's a very good price. I charge around 65-75 for Westies and don't give discounts for multiple dogs. :)

I'm around that too and do not give multiple dog discounts. They all take time to do

$50 sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm not sure what my mum pays to get her Beardie done, but I would think $50 would be a reasonable price. Though, for that dog in particular, you couldn't pay me $500 to groom it :)

There is a certified master groomer in the next village to me who only charges $50 for a small clip so I charge less than this as I do not have this qualification - I do nice style grooms not clip offs. Many of my customers are pensioners so I think it depends on the socio economic status of your clients and your purpose in grooming - I groom from home for a little extra income to cover my hobbies.

so I think it depends on the socio economic status of your clients

For sure. I know a groomer who can only charge $45 for a groom. She's an average groomer and surrounded by average groomers so has to be priced competitively in a low income area.

Thanks guys! I was sure my prices were resonable.

I don't know where this lady is going to get her dog groomed, the vets don't groom and the nearest salon asides from mine is in Warwick. I think there is a lady just south of here who does grooming but from what I've seen of her work it's all hack jobs.

Maybe she will do a $20 shave off for her.

I think that in general as groomers we sell ourselves well short, when it comes to pricing.

For the back breaking and shit that we go through, we are worth more.

I've put my prices up , quite a bit more than the others but I have no problems in attracting new clients and hanging onto the old one's. I've found that my direct competitors who have the lower prices, are cutting corners to do so. I'm picking up new clients every week, because they aren't happy with what their $50 buys them.

There are some that aren't even doing the basics like tidying up groins/armpits, cutting nails, plucking ears and one doesn't bath or blow dry at all :)

I was told by one of their former groomers there is a groomers in Adelaide who fills up the bath in the morning and doesn't change the water all day :) :) -

I think i also know of this groomer. Thats disgusting & not necessary

I ran a city salon for 16 yrs and was up to around $50 for SWF type when i shut up shop 4 yrs ago. Now i work from home in a small town and at $45 am at the high end for grooming around here. People seem to get the fact i have 25 yrs exp and they get what they pay for . If i were still in the city i'd be at $60 for the same work .

I think that in general as groomers we sell ourselves well short, when it comes to pricing.

For the back breaking and shit that we go through, we are worth more.

I've put my prices up , quite a bit more than the others but I have no problems in attracting new clients and hanging onto the old one's. I've found that my direct competitors who have the lower prices, are cutting corners to do so. I'm picking up new clients every week, because they aren't happy with what their $50 buys them.

There are some that aren't even doing the basics like tidying up groins/armpits, cutting nails, plucking ears and one doesn't bath or blow dry at all :)

Yikes!

It makes me wonder about these kinds of groomers, are they untrained or just plain lazy? I worked at a salon in the Samford area (not for long) that specialized in shave offs. I'm talking #10 on the body and reverse #7 up the legs on nearly every dog, shih tzus, malts, poodles, it didn't matter, hack it off. I personally couldn't stand the low quality of work so obviously didn't stay. I take pride in my work and will spend extra time making sure a dog walks out of my salon looking fabulous. It's not about the money so much as it is about passion. I'm creative and like it to shine through in my work. But in the same token I won't work for pittance.

And yes, it is back breaking work, it's dirty, smelly and sometimes dangerous. I think the general public have this idea that we sit around and play with little puppies all day and put bows in their hair. If only they knew about the sad old dogs, the ones with cancer who are in for their last groom, the ones that bite, the 40kg dogs you have to lift, the fleas, poop, pee, scabby skin etc. It's certainly not a glamorous job to say the least, and it's totally unappreciated. :)

I love it when the HV dryer hits a hidden skin lesion and the skin debris sprays your face.

Or a stressed ancient Maltese huffing and puffing in my face with their toxic death breath. I literally vomited one day from a dogs breath.

Also quite partial to be pooed on and spewed on.

All in a days work. :)

Don't sell your services short!

It is no good doing grooming for $20 if it costs you $35 in materials and labour. If you enjoy grooming, this is one way to quickly loose interest.

Depending on your area, what other groomers are in the area and the services that you are offering to do in your "packages" $50-$60 is not an unreasonable starting point. I find it is not what others do not do in their packages but what you offer that is different to the others that sets you apart from them. ie groins/armpits, cutting nails, plucking ears and even squeezing anal glands, if needed that most dog owners are interested in.

I must admit your location and reputation are big factors in how busy you can be.

Forgot to add that the CMG who charges $50 and lives near me also wins grooming comps and has represented Aus several times so it doesn't leave me much space. She is lovely and does my show dog for me so not complaining I actually send her clients as I am full LOL. BUT, one does have to adjust to the competition, clientele etc I work from home and have few overheads (thanks Hubby) so I am not going to charge the same price as a salon although my trims are probably better than many (so my customers who have moved to the district tell me LOL)

Forgot to add that the CMG who charges $50 and lives near me also wins grooming comps and has represented Aus several times so it doesn't leave me much space. She is lovely and does my show dog for me so not complaining I actually send her clients as I am full LOL. BUT, one does have to adjust to the competition, clientele etc I work from home and have few overheads (thanks Hubby) so I am not going to charge the same price as a salon although my trims are probably better than many (so my customers who have moved to the district tell me LOL)

I'm not a master groomer but I've won comps. Don't underestimate yourself, you might b just as good as the lady up the road. :)

Danielle, I have been grooming my own showdogs (poodles) for over 10 years so I can tell the difference LOL. I love that she can scissor my current showdog for me. It is very hard, as a groomer, to get that extra edge that moves you from very good to world class LOL. It is a gift and cannot come from just practice - you have to have that certain something to begin with. I am a perfectionist so really appreciate that quality when I see it in any area of life.

Edited by frufru

I bath and dry my Cavaliers just before they go to the groomers. They're never clipped, just a light scissoring to tidy them up because I'm not very good at scissoring. My groomer charges $50 per dog.

She gives me a report sheet for each dog and their skin and coat always comes up as 'excellent'. I'm quite happy to pay $100 for her excellent work. They always look great and she grooms as soon as I take them in so they're not there for hours. I'm one of those pathetic dog owners who hates being away from my dogs.

Edited by cavNrott