Maltese Puppy?

~Storm~

Hi,

I am a new member to Dogzonline and have spent a while reading various threads about puppy ownership and it is making me quite excited about getting a new puppy :cry:

And most importantly many of my questions have been answered and I am currently getting the crate etc all ready :mad

Essentially, at the beginning of last year our Staffy cross passed away and now we believe that it is time to purchase a new puppy.

Compared to the previous dogs we have had, for the first time we are looking at a small lap dog which will be an inside dog.

Background:

- We are looking to purchase a small lap dog.

- It will be an inside dog.

- We will be out of the house for around 5-7 hours during weekdays.

- We are looking for hypoallergenic/low shedding breed.

- Barking is not really a concern. Our old dog used to bark when there was someone at the door or if there was a problem, but like all people we don't want a dog that constantly barks. Whilst it is obvious that training is the main determent of how much or when a dog barks, since I am going to purchase a toy breed (which includes terriers) I am a bit concerned since these breeds are more prone to barking.

- We rarely have kids coming over.

- We have a fairly quite and calm family (i.e no surprises)

- Grooming is not a problem.

- We would prefer a dog that is less active (i.e we can walk the dog for ~30 min, excluding play time such as fetch etc)

- We want a friendly dog that won't snap at anyone etc. We have owned large dogs in the past and they never demonstrated any aggression to me or my family not matter what, even if you took their food away or put your hand in their mouth. Now I won't deny, this came to be due to good training, but am concerned over the "small dog syndrome" that I am hearing about.

- We prefer a male puppy

I think the above covers most things. Let me know of any other questions that need to be answered.

So from the above I have my eyes set on a Maltese.

Now the only problem that I see is that I remember reading all those years back when the RSPCA said that the Maltese was one of the most dumped dogs due to their aggressiveness and excessive barking.

Being the statistical minded person that I am (haha) I do recall some errors with that report. These include that I believe that they included Maltese crosses which obviously hamper the results because there are millions of Maltese X's sold by backyard breeders/pet shops, and with the large quantity and poor breeding it isn't surprising that these crosses develop temperament issues and the rest are dumped because the owner is bored of the pet.

Can anybody tell me the temperament of a pure bred Maltese?

What other breeds should I be looking at?

Some other breeds that have come up, are the Havanese and the Shih Tzu.

Now the Havanese comes from the same family as the Maltese and the only difference I can find is that they are bigger and from owner recounts on the interwebs are a very friendly breed which does not bark or snap at people. However I do want a small breed (think Chihuahua sized, but not a Chihuahua) and from the looks of it, the Havanese is quite large.

With the Shih Tzu, I don't really know the difference between that and the Maltese :) How do they compare regarding temperment, size etc?

Thanks for reading and can't wait for the reponses :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I am looking to purchase ASAP. (I have a month before Uni/work starts so like my previous puppies I want to use this time to train etc the puppy)

Are all the breeders on this site (http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies.asp) reputable breeders? Or is it just a pay for ad page?

Edit - Can anybody recommend a breeder?

And will a Maltese puppy be alright from a flight from the East Coast to WA? :(

Also why the discrepancy between pricing? I see some breeders charge ~$600 and others ~$1000 for a male puppy.

Is more to do certain breeders selling puppys on the Main register and others being sold on Limited papers? Or that the cheaper puppies don't quite fit the breed standard in terms of looks? Or is mearly that some breeders just like to sell at a cheaper price :)

Oh, this is from this website (as opposed from the community newspaper haha)

Edited by ~Storm~

OK, that's a lot of questions and I can't pretend to answer all of them, but have some info...

You mentioned the Havanese, and said they were quite large. They are not large - actually not a lot bigger than a pure bred Maltese. They are similar in size (and temperament I gather) as a Bichon Frise. These are small dogs (4-7kg approximately) so definitely toy-sized but a little larger than a Chihuahua. They weigh a bit more because they are a little more solid, but should not be chunky or fat. They look fatter because of the fuller coat. Underneath, the body should be lean. They come in really lovely colours and have beautiful, sweet faces.

I have never had a maltese, although our neighbours have one. He barks a lot, but I don't know if all of them do. I think it is not an uncommon problem with the breed. But all breeds have some kind of problem and there is always something that needs to be managed. My poodle x barks a lot too, so I'm not judging. Just an observation.

I have a poodle x and a Bichon Frise. The poodle x is a genius but she can be demanding of your time and attention. The bichon is a saint. Hardly ever barks, and very, very, very friendly and sociable. Lap dog and love sponge - but also calm and undemanding and peaceful. Bullet-proof as far as people go - he is very trustworthy and lovable and has been for his entire 12 years so far. He has a very typical bichon temperament - they are famous for it.

From what I've heard the Havanese have similar temperaments. So I would recommend either of these breeds (bichons and havanese) - they are gorgeous friendly dogs.

Problems with them? Grooming is the main one. A bichon coat in particular is very high maintenance - soft and curly and a prickle-magnet in summer. So you need to keep up with the maintenance just like with a poodle.

Havanese coats are straighter, and I suspect a little easier to brush out than a bichon coat. Maltese quite straight and also not as thick, so I suspect a little easier again.

And of course there are health problems with all breeds so ask lots of questions. With my bichon, he has had problems with ear infections (when he was younger) and his hips are a bit stiff (as he got older). But for an older dog, he's really good overall. We have been lucky.

I had a friend with 2 chihuahuas. They were dedicated, slightly obsessive barkers. All night, if they had the chance. I could not have lived with them. So again, ask questions and do your research. Perhaps they were poorly trained, but I think this can be a problem with Chihuahuas so best to check it out I think.

ETA: I have bad allergies to dogs, but no problems with my Bichon or the poodle coat. Non-shedding, clean and nice to have around. And my bichon is very laid-back - I can walk him and he loves it, but he doesn't really need it and if I don't want to walk him he's happy with me on the couch. Very unlike my poodle, who NEEDS her walks... So again, placid and undemanding. I understand that the Havanese breed is very similar to the bichon that way, but I have never owned one.

Edited by Zug Zug

Thanks for you reply Zug Zug.

Regarding the size of the Havs. I was a reading a dedicated Havanese forum, and what I read was that they do vary in size (like all dogs), but I guess I have just seen the larger types. Though as you say, both the Bichon Frise and the Havanese have similar excellent temperaments.

Mentioning the Maltese, I am actually quite surprised that there isn't a Maltese thread in the "Dog Breeds - 101" sub forum or in the "Breed Sub Forums" :(

Haha it seems to be true that the smaller you go the louder and more frequent is the bark. xD

But it seems like the Hav is in front...but I wish there was one available now haha

Is there that much of a difference between a female and male Hav? We have always had females and I suppose I didn't have anything to complain about...but I have heard that males are more affectionate?

What about a Lhasa Apso

http://www.pedigree.com.au/breeds/?b=122&p=l&pp=

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lhasaapso.htm

I've got a couple of friends who have these, they're not as aggressive as maltese can be. They will bark a lot if left alone in the backyard with a sleepy lizard just through the fence. Not a good idea.

I don't know if they're big shedders or not, but they don't shed like a jack russell can.

Small dog syndrome is usually caused by humans thinking bad behaviour is cute in SWF puppies and they inadvertantly reward and encourage it. Wouldn't matter what dog you got, it's up to you to set limits and encourage good behaviour.

Thanks Mrs Rusty Bucket.

I recall skimming past the Lhasa Apso but will look more into it now.

I was just reading up on Small Dog Syndrome. Our past dogs were farm dogs and Dad and I trained them quite well and made sure that the humans were the dominate figures, so I am hoping that things will be okay with the dog we are going to get.

This is going to be a sweeping generalisation ...

Farm dogs are generally much easier to train, most of them are very willing to please, and very quick to learn what you're trying to teach them.

Other dogs can be somewhat slower. In my experience - sample size about 4 dogs ie insignificant statistcally, the LA dogs are a bit quicker at something like "its yer choice" game than maltese, or spaniel x.

Some farm dogs - know they're smarter than you and life can get interesting then. But generally - you need to repeat yourself a lot more and be far more consistent with the not-working not-farm dogs to get them to understand what you're looking for.

end sweeping generalisation.

This is going to be a sweeping generalisation ...

Farm dogs are generally much easier to train, most of them are very willing to please, and very quick to learn what you're trying to teach them.

Other dogs can be somewhat slower.

Haha thats what I am worried about with the bratty Paris Hilton Maltese :(

Nah, I don't care. I just want them to be loyal.

The thing about being friendly to strangers and people who come over, + letting you put your hand in their food and touch them while they are eating, that is a training issue. Small dogs don't automatically have 'small dog syndrome' just because they are small. They develop this because a lot of people are slack with training small dogs, because problem behaviours don't seem as bad when it's only a small dog, compared to if a rottie or great dane had the same issues.

Both my dogs are tiny, I have a poodle x maltese and a JRT x MFT, and they both let me take toys off them, drop whatever is in their mouth when asked, I can touch them while they eat, put them on my lap and touch them all over and trim nails while they lie limp in my lap, and they are friendly to everyone, but will guard the house when we are not home. They are both indoor dogs, and my JRT x is quite vocal, but not a nuisance barker. He will bark while playing, when excited and when unsure, and just for fun. My poodle x is much quieter, and hardly every barks except when the dogs are home alone and someone approaches the house (we know because she does scary big dog barks when we have been out and come home, before she realises it's us)

They behave this way because right from the start I put them in my lap and handled them every single day, touched their paws and ears and lips, and would not let them get down while they struggled, once they are calm they get to go down and play. They would eat in my lap to begin with, then when I started putting the bowl on the floor I would touch them all over while they ate, so they think nothing of it. They were taken to puppy classes and b-day parties and got to meet many different types of people and dogs. Everything mentioned in this last paragraph is an absolute minimum for any puppy you get, and if you do, you will have a friendly dog that goes limp and placid whenever he is handled, and who is friendly to strangers but not intruders.

Edited by fuzzy82

A papillon seems to fit most of your criteria EXCEPT low shedding/hypo allergenic.

You are aware though that it's not necessarily the hair that people are allergic to, but it can also be the dander on the skin and possibly even saliva?

I was going to recommend a pap. They would be easy to groom though, wouldn't they? I've heard that they don't have an undercoat, is that true Paptacular? I have looked at a papillon a lot & if I ever get a small dog it is one I would like.

We used to have a maltese living next door to us & every time we used the bathroom, opened/ closed a door or window he would bark at us. It drove me mad.

Go for the Maltese. Originally bred in Malta to be a companion and sleeve dog, the correct ones from registered breeders are absolutely delightful. They do need to be clipped every 6 - 8 weeks or they will have floor sweeping hair. They also need grooming (at home), and do not shed.

A dog from the proper bloodlines, correctly raised and trained - as all dogs should be raised and trained - is the most wonderful little dog. Devoted to his family, gentle, kind, playful. He does need early training to prevent excessive barking. Not all bark, I know one who rarely says anything.

Speak to the breeders in your state, if they can't help, go further afield. If you go to the ANKC website (www. ANKC.com.au will get it up) you will find breeders advertise by state on that site .... simply click on the state you want.

Badly bred and xbreds can and do have temperament problems, and I very much suspect those are the ones the RSPCA used in their survey. Anything the correct size was lumped in as "Maltese" when the only real maltese has registratiion papers from the ANKC.

Don't need lots of exercise, people time will do nicely, but a walk is appreciated, as is a car ride.

Here is the breed standard, which gives the correct temperament and conformation.

Last Updated: 15 May 2010

Group: Group 1 (Toys)

History:

General Appearance: Should be smart, lively and alert. The action must be free, without extended weaving.

Characteristics: Sweet tempered and very intelligent.

Temperament: Sweet tempered and very intelligent.

Head And Skull: From stop to centre of skull (centre between forepart of ears) and stop to tip of nose should be equally balanced. Stop should be defined. Nose should be pure black.

Eyes: Oval, not bulging, dark brown, black eye-rims.

Ears: Should be long and well feathered and hanging close to the side of the head, the hair to be mingled with the coat at the shoulders.

Mouth: Level or scissor bite with teeth even.

Neck: Of medium length, set on well sloped shoulders.

Forequarters: Legs should be short and straight. Shoulders well sloped.

Body: Should be in every way well balanced and essentially short and cobby, with good rib spring and the back should be straight from the tip of the shoulders to the tail.

Hindquarters: Legs should be short and nicely angulated.

Feet: Should be round and the pads of the feet should be black.

Tail: Should be well arched over the back and feathered.

Gait/Movement: Straight and free-flowing, without weaving. Viewed from behind the legs should be neither too close nor too wide apart.

Coat: Should be good length, but not impeding action, of silky texture, not in any way woolly and should be straight. It should not be crimped and there should be no woolly undercoat.

Colour: Pure white, but slight lemon markings should not penalise.

Sizes: Not over 25 cm (10 ins) from ground to top of shoulder.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Brown nose. Pink eye rims.

Bad mouth, over or undershot.

Gay tail.

Curly or woolly coat.

Unsound in any way.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Last Updated: 15 May 2010

Copyright © 2011 Australian National Kennel Council

Lhasas are quite a bit bigger and heavier and they are a guard dog with a different tempeament to the Maltese. Bichons are good too, different coat, but good nature, and nice personallity. Maltese would be my pick, and they are easier to get than a Bichon.

And I think that they are not suitable for families with children under about 7 - they are small pups, and easily hurt, so better away from small hands

Edited by Jed

I have a friend that used to breed, show and obedience trial her Maltese. Very smart little dogs if you treat them like dogs. They don't learn like working dogs and can be very stubborn, rather than just wanting to please you, so they can be more challenging to train, but if you can work them out, they can be good at obedience and agility.

They are wary of strangers and will bark at visitors but I found when I went to her house, that if I ignored them, they would gradually sneak up and sniff me and provided I didn't do anything to startle them, they would then be quite happy to be fussed over. They just needed to be able to make the first move.

I don't have a pure bred Maltese, but a maltese x poodle who looks predominantly Maltese.

He is an absolute delight- laid back, fairly docile, playful, affectionate, adores cuddles, confident (not excessively but a nice self confidence) and is so friendly! Loves everyone (human and canine) and everything, fabulous with kids and people of all ages. I have had moments when taking him out for a walk and when I am fixing my heart rate monitor, I turn around and a 3 yr old has picked him up :cry: but he just snuggled close. Just a happy, happy little boy. Very intelligent and picked up tricks and training in a heartbeat. I find his coat really easy to maintain and non shedding (although I am not too sure if this is a Maltese trait....) with regular brushing- we just incorporate it into our routine. I have rarely heard him yap/bark and only while playing (count it all on one hand) but it is so quiet it doesn't disturb anyone.

I don't think he has little dog syndrome.....but we have worked really hard to treat him like a normal dog and he has not had any behavioural issues.

I wouldnt count on him being helpful if we were robbed or anything though! He would just wag his tail madly, greet them happily then lick them to death, strangers and over friendliness don't faze him in the slighest :)

Obviously he is a little muttie and you may be better off listening for someone who can feed you some Purebred info! He does obviously I am sure have some Maltese traits. But not all small dogs has SDS.

Good luck! I wouldn't rush too much for a pup, you need to ensure you find the right reputable breeder and puppy for you! Prices will vary, although I would be wary of ones which are going cheap. You have to decide how much you are prepared to spend and look into who you are getting the puppy from, ask around (even get a reference) and decide if it is worth your money. I for an example, would be happy to pay more money for a pup who I knew had good lines, health checked parents with proof of testing, registration info and is raised within the home evironment with the breeder. I would personally look for recomendations through the fabulous people here at DOL! :(

Edited by Katie P

Thank you fuzzy82 and luvsdogs. I think the one thing that is synonymous with whatever dog that I get, is that it must be trained, which is seen as a given, but must be noted.

I think this is especially important with a breed such as the Maltese which everyone is saying is a bad barker. Whilst it may be true from what I am reading it seems like most people who purchase a Maltese see them as being little white teddy bears and due to their size don't train them or show any dominance over them. And as such the dog is diagnosed with "Small Dog Syndrome".

And cheers for you input Jed. Really appreciate it. I will try to get in touch with some breeders here, but it seems like the Maltese is for me :)

I have a friend that used to breed, show and obedience trial her Maltese. Very smart little dogs if you treat them like dogs.
I don't have a pure bred Maltese, but a maltese x poodle who looks predominantly Maltese.

Finally the Maltese people! =D

And as shown Maltese are good dogs :cry:

Good luck! I wouldn't rush too much for a pup, you need to ensure you find the right reputable breeder and puppy for you! Prices will vary, although I would be wary of ones which are going cheap. You have to decide how much you are prepared to spend and look into who you are getting the puppy from, ask around (even get a reference) and decide if it is worth your money. I for an example, would be happy to pay more money for a pup who I knew had good lines, health checked parents with proof of testing, registration info and is raised within the home evironment with the breeder. I would personally look for recomendations through the fabulous people here at DOL! :(

Thank you. Will do.

Curious, are the breeders here on DOL (puppy listing page) reputable breeders? Or is it a page where breeders can pay to have their listings shown?

Because for example Dogswest's breeders directory is a paid space.

Anybody recommend an excellent Maltese breeder?

A papillon seems to fit most of your criteria EXCEPT low shedding/hypo allergenic.

You are aware though that it's not necessarily the hair that people are allergic to, but it can also be the dander on the skin and possibly even saliva?

I was going to recommend a pap. They would be easy to groom though, wouldn't they? I've heard that they don't have an undercoat, is that true Paptacular? I have looked at a papillon a lot & if I ever get a small dog it is one I would like.

We used to have a maltese living next door to us & every time we used the bathroom, opened/ closed a door or window he would bark at us. It drove me mad.

That's right, paps are a single coated breed, so no undercoat. :bottom:

Their grooming is actually a lot easier than most people imagine.... a brush about every second day of 10 minutes should keep the coat relatively tangle free and remove the dead coat, which is the cause of shedding in the first place. The only trimming required is that of the fur underfoot, by the paw pads.

With the Shih Tzu, I don't really know the difference between that and the Maltese :D How do they compare regarding temperment, size etc?

Get a Shih Tzu :bottom: Terrific little dogs with loads of character. IMO they seem to have more personality than Malt's and a bit cheekier too. They're better looking too, of course :D

I think searching the Maltese breed page and puppy page is a good idea. Generally most of the breeders would be reputable I think but there are the odd bad fish. Make sure you give them a call, ask lots of questions and go over their website if they have one. Look at the puppy listings then maybe go into the profile section and see if they are actively showing! Questions and more questions! If they sound 'off' or display BYB'er/Puppy farmer characteristics in anyway then I would probably not purchase a pup from them.

Thank you. Will do.

Curious, are the breeders here on DOL (puppy listing page) reputable breeders? Or is it a page where breeders can pay to have their listings shown?

Because for example Dogswest's breeders directory is a paid space.

Anybody recommend an excellent Maltese breeder?

good question :bottom: Just because a breeder advertisers on Dogzonline does not mean they are an ethical breeder :D

So sounds like you have decided to go for the maltese :D

Have a bit of a google serach to look into the health problems they get.

Then you look into the health testing that can be done to ensure a breeder is breeding from healthy animals.

Not all health probs can be tested for; but quite a few can.

Ask for copies of documentation on any health certificates.

Please note that a "vet check" is not a health test.

secondly with a breed like the maltese (i.e. not a working breed) you would expect that the breeder shows their dogs. This means you will get a maltese pup that is more likely to have sound conformation and actually look like it should :D

thirdly I would be asking for lots of detail about temperament. Be honest with the breeder about what you want - ask lots of questions about what especially the mum dog's temperament is like. The more you tell them what you want the better able they are to choose the pup in the litter that will most suit you :rofl:

lastly it is a good sign if you feel that the breeder is really weighing you up as to whether you are going to be a good owner or not :D