Prices For Vaccinations

Bullbreedlover

Oh and by the way. With the locality of this vet, parvo is rampant at the moment and has been for quite awhile out this way.

Does that say something or what??

Only thing it says is that there are obviously people in your area who are not being responsible dog owners and not vaxing their dogs for parvo. Every responsible dog owner I know, knows that vaxing is just one of those things you do regardless of costs as it is in the interests of your dog's health.

Do you think it says something else??

Of course it says something!

It also says that in one area where there is parvo rampant the price is x amount.

In another area where a vet doesnt rip people off but there will still be cases of parvo the price is xy amount.

xy amount being half the price of x amount

Go figure

Interesting. It's actually the opposite here in Sydney. I used to work in a wealthier area where overheads were more and vaccine prices were higher. Now we're more in sort of a middle class area and our prices are average. Out west, in the lower socioeconomic areas, the costs of vaccines is much less, however parvo is crazy out there because whilst it's cheaper, people just don't vacc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be aware sometimes you get what you pay for.. there are plenty of unscrupulous characters around - diluting vaccines etc.

Where I work vaccines are never a 5 minute job, we do a thorough health check and its not unusual for our consultations to go over 30 minutes! We never charge extra consult time for this - my boss just likes to be thorough and generally we only see the client for this one date so is important to check everything is okay.

From around my area $70-80 seems about average price for a C5 vacc...we've seen a few cases (particularly in puppy vaccs) where a thorough check up has not been done and that can be frustrating when we see things that have been missed and could have been taken care of much earlier.

I have just had a great phone conversation with a Vet Clinic today.

And they have given me a great price to vaccinate my dogs. The main vet there is also a breeder and I was informed of their other services for hips, elbows xray, c sections if need be etc etc.

It is only a few kms more away from where I normally go locally but the price saving far out ways the extra amount of petrol.

That's great to hear. I hope your happy with this new vet.

I only recently found a great vet that mostly looks after breeders and showies. She does a fantastic thorough check of my dogs and was a great first experience when Archer was having his puppy vaccs. Just because some vets are cheaper, doesn't mean they skip on their services. I say ring around and go and see some vets, there are some great ones out there that also charge reasonable prices.

Just be aware sometimes you get what you pay for.. there are plenty of unscrupulous characters around - diluting vaccines etc.

Where I work vaccines are never a 5 minute job, we do a thorough health check and its not unusual for our consultations to go over 30 minutes! We never charge extra consult time for this - my boss just likes to be thorough and generally we only see the client for this one date so is important to check everything is okay.

From around my area $70-80 seems about average price for a C5 vacc...we've seen a few cases (particularly in puppy vaccs) where a thorough check up has not been done and that can be frustrating when we see things that have been missed and could have been taken care of much earlier.

30 minutes to check a dog? Your boss must be slower than a wet week.

:) Take a packed lunch to that one!

Wow, how harsh is that?

It's the same for us at times, especially when it's a new kitten or puppy. It's not uncommon for people to bring up behavioural problems or other things that take a lot of explanation.

We can't win.

30 minutes is rather reasonable, when our BC had his vacc's we where in there for at least 30-40 minutes, he had vaccines, general check up, and then a chat about any concerns etc that we had

it i was in and out in 5 minutes and not able to ask any questions i wouldnt be too impressed, as im technically paying for the vaccination and annual checkup (tho they dont charge for the time just the vaccines)

generally walk out paying between 80 and 120, to me thats fair our boy is generally pretty health and maybe goes up to the vet once or twice a year in addition to the check up (but thats always turns out to be me just worrying about things and they dont charge)

Edited by auir

it i was in and out in 5 minutes and not able to ask any questions i wouldnt be too impressed,

Exactly! A vet who shoves dogs on a conveyor belt and whips them in and out the door with lightning speed isnt going to get too many repeat clients. As stormie said, they just cant win.

This is more to answer questions or when you do find issues, new puppies or kittens or discussing things like dentals/surgeries. My vet does also like to talk to clients and develop a relationship - it helps immensely with treating their animals. We don't just jab and run which some vets do. Of course you can never win some people like that kind of 'service' but imo is a disservice to the animal.

We can't win.

It would appear not - based on people's views here vets are damned if they do, damned if they do't.

They spend too little time - they're just money hungry and incompetent

They spend more time and they're incompetent as they cannot examine a dog, answer questions from the owner, get a quick nail clip and oh, you know that anal gland issue...within a short space of time.

Many seem to think so little of their vets yet by the same token expect them to act as a charity and give clients accounts.

I am beginning to understand why the suicide rate in the profession is so high.

Sorry you feel that way Stormie and Danois.

I didnt actually start this thread for you to moan like you have about what some owners prefer when it comes to vaccination time. There are many owners out there who are very very competent in assessing their dogs health and needs. Please dont belittle them just because you may work at a vet clinic. I am not a vet nurse. I am not a vet but I sure as heck am very capable of looking after my dogs well being. And by that, if I only wish for my dogs to have their injections then so be it.

Lets be honest. Many vets do over charge as is quite evident in mine and other peoples findings. Lets face it some vets are actually incompetent and their opinions seriously do need to be questioned. You only have to read the horror stories that people post about their vet experiences to realise that.

I choose what is best for my dogs. I choose what vet I wish to take them to and what services I would like them to do. I dont just take them to any vet though.

The last time my older dogs saw a vet was for last years vaccinations. and the vet came to my house as she was also a large animal vet on a call out. I have had my young girl now for 15 months and she hasnt even seen a vet here yet. She will see one for her booster. Does that make me uncaring. No. It means that her and my oldies are actually quite healthy and havent had a need to see one. My young girl cut one of her pads awhile back. I didnt rush her to the vet because I knew it was not serious enough and it healed perfectly with treatment.

I am sorry that people do have a budget to work to and want value for money.

Both dogs just had their vacc's/check up.. $180.

And the thing with that DSO is this......Were you happy with the service? Was it want you wanted with your furkids? Did you feel you got value for money?

If yes, then that is great. It is your money and you spend it how you wish.

This year I have shopped around to find a good deal for my budget and for my dogs.

:)

Both dogs just had their vacc's/check up.. $180.

And the thing with that DSO is this......Were you happy with the service? Was it want you wanted with your furkids? Did you feel you got value for money?

If yes, then that is great. It is your money and you spend it how you wish.

This year I have shopped around to find a good deal for my budget and for my dogs.

:)

Yep, I'd say I was very happy with the service. I've been going to the same vet since both dogs were puppies, they are always treated well and always get treats and cuddles from the nurses. Never seemed rushed and usually have a good chat with the vet.

:D