Are Yearly Vaccinations Neccessary?

Hi,

I found this site a couple of moths ago and have been noseying around since then but I have a question I need to ask so thought I'd join!

My fiance and I each have a dog. My dog is Gypsy, a Ridgeback x Mastiff, and his dog is Sonja, a Pittbull x Staffy.

I rescued Gypsy from the pound 5 years ago when she was a 3 month old pup. She had a very bad start to life, with evidence that she had been beaten and mistreated. She is very well taken care of now and is my precious baby girl. I love her SO much, even enough to get a tattoo of her name on me! I got Gyspsy before OH came into the picture so although he is jelous of her sometimes he knows that she is part of the package!

When he said he wanted a dog of his own we went to the pound again (I will not go anywhere else, I believe that if you don't mind a crossbreed then rescues should come first!) and that's where he got Sonja, also 3 months old at the time (she is now 1 1/2).

We have recently moved into a brand new house in a brand new area and I definately want the dogs to have their vaccinations before they come out (currently at the parent's house due to Gypsy being an excellent escape artist so some backyard renovations are needed before they can come out) because I want them to be protected against Parvo expecially so not ifs or buts for that one but I'm just wondering if it is neccessary to get vaccinations every year?

The reason I ask is that OH's brother's OH (lol) is a greyhound trainer and she says that she never gets the dogs vaccinated as it is an unneccessary waste of money. Is this true? Do you all get annual vaccinations? Up until now I have always booked an appointment as soon as I get my reminder letter but if it is not neccessary then I wonder why the vets do it. Is it just a scam to get money, or is it actually neccessary? I want the best for our dogs and want them to live healthy, long, happy lives but if we can save money on vaccinations and use that money elsewhere then I wouldn't get the vaccinations if they were not neccessary, although I think I would be very hesitatnt at not getting them and more than likely get them done once the thought of them being unprotected got the better of me!

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated! (and sorry for the novel)

Thanks for the articles, I had a quick browse (at work atm so have to be sneaky). So do you guys vaccinate every 3 years, or not at all once the first vaccine at 6 months has been done, as written in the 3rd article. Just curoius to know what everyone else does. Does anyone think it is neccessary for the girls to have vaccines before they come to the new house if they already had them last year???

Thanks for the articles, I had a quick browse (at work atm so have to be sneaky). So do you guys vaccinate every 3 years, or not at all once the first vaccine at 6 months has been done, as written in the 3rd article. Just curoius to know what everyone else does. Does anyone think it is neccessary for the girls to have vaccines before they come to the new house if they already had them last year???

My dogs are vaccinated at 9-10 weeks, again at 12-13 weeks then again at 14-16 months then never again. I don't usually board my dogs though. They are out and about virtually every day and at shows very often. Used the same protocol when we used to own boarding kennels so our dogs were on the same property (and often using the same runs) as a multitude of ''strange'' dogs.

New house/old house no difference to me. 2 years ago we brought 3 adults over from NZ and they had to be vaccinated as they were going to boarding kennels when they arrived here. 2 were 4 years old, 1 was 6. They haven't been vaccinated since and we have lived in 3 different houses in 3 very different areas since then.

At the end of the day you have to be comfortable with your decision and there is absolutely no cast iron proof that any one method is absolutely correct.

If you board your dogs then you have different issues (unless you find a kennel which accepts titre testing), if you take them to obedience some clubs may still insist on annual.

Different needs/different ideas/different solutions.

Edited by Sandra777

we vacc every year. we have many foster dogs and pups from the pounds and they tend to have something that they have picked up so to us it is not worth the risk atm and to do obedience etc they have to have their current vacc to attend.

our cat on the other had first three the never again..

i probably wouldn't after the their fourth needle if our circumstances were different.

Puppy vaccs + one year booster.

We will titer test when my dog is 4 years old (3 years from last booster) or earlier if needed for obedience etc, and then only re-vacc as needed. Titer testing at my local vet is $260! so I'm not going to do it just because.

If for any reason I was unable to titer test then I'd have a booster done approx every 3-4 years, but nothing after the dog reaches 8-10 years of age.

I did vaccinate my cat every year up until he was 5. After his last vacc in 2008 he was looking awful, coat was crap, vomitting constantly, comming up with abcesses, limping (we were told he needed FHR surgery). Vets were looking at PTS as it as one thing after another. I did some research, changed his food and stopped the vaccs. Within 6 months coat was comming good and vomitting had ceased, within 12 months the limping had stopped completely, 3 years on he's outrunning the dog. Co-incidence? maybe... but I wont be vaccinating him ever again.

Mine have their puppy shots, then their 15 month booster, and then three yearly after that. We do obedience/agility, though, and one of our club's stipulations is that vaccinations have to be up to date.

Could have written this myself, this is exactly what I do and the same reasons for doing it that way :(

This question wont sound very scientific :D but is the three yearly vaccination just the normal strength vaccination but only given every three years, or is it a "stronger" version given to last three years?

Depending on the manufacturer.........many on the forum say it is the same, some say the same basic shot with a few more antibodies added.

Nobivac have a new vaccine coming out or is out that is given at 10 weeks that over rides parental immunity and is given once only and the dog is vaccinated for life.

Think I will go and purchase shares in Nobivac. :)

This question wont sound very scientific :D but is the three yearly vaccination just the normal strength vaccination but only given every three years, or is it a "stronger" version given to last three years?

Depending on the manufacturer.........many on the forum say it is the same, some say the same basic shot with a few more antibodies added.

Nobivac have a new vaccine coming out or is out that is given at 10 weeks that over rides parental immunity and is given once only and the dog is vaccinated for life.

Think I will go and purchase shares in Nobivac. :)

Do you have a link to more information on this?

This question wont sound very scientific :) but is the three yearly vaccination just the normal strength vaccination but only given every three years, or is it a "stronger" version given to last three years?

Think I will go and purchase shares in Nobivac. ;)

Do you have a link to more information on this?

No sorry I haven't, only what the Vet said. (I haven't bred a litter in about 2 years) I do have some cooking I hope. :D

As Nobivac is in Bendigo Victoria, you can ring or google them.

Cheers.