Nsw Greyhound Muzzle Laws Revised

Kirty

I think you're both right.

Certain breeds are, all things being equal, more likely to express predatory behaviours than other breeds are.

But it also seems unfair that greys would need to be muzzled, but huskies or akitas or malinois do not (just to single out some more large breeds with generally very high prey drives).

not to mention breeds like saluki's and borzoi, etc

Yes, this is exactly what i was getting at

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen this on the GAP (non industry) site

"CHANGES TO NSW MUZZLING LAWS

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

Despite the somewhat misleading article on p9 of the Sunday Telegraph (13th Feb), the Greyhound muzzling laws in NSW HAVE NOT been amended.

To the best of our knowledge, the NSW Labor Government has made no announcement re planned amendments to the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998.

However, Greyhound Racing NSW announced on 12th Feb an agreement with the Liberals & Nationals, that if they are elected on March 26th, the Greyhound muzzling laws will be amended for dogs adopted by Greyhound Racing’s “Greyhounds As Pets” program.

Until further information is available, please continue to obey the law and muzzle your Greyhound(s) whenever they are outside your property or vehicle. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubby and I made a couple of phone calls, and this is what we were told. I hope that dogs assessed in other states can be included without re-testing. I can't wait until we can have Harry assessed.

Our Harry was race trained apparently, but was too slow. He doesn't care about the cats wondering in our yard, but is interested in our chooks (has never been allowed to run with them), so I would want him assessed before having him unmuzzled. I believe he would pass a test, but would want someone with more experienced than me to judge that. Hopefully I can have that opportunity here in NSW, and have him walking around without the muzzle.

He would not be off lead unless, like now, he is in a fully enclosed area and safe from cars, etc. He used to have a penchant for just running as fast as he can, now that he's older, he has better recall, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

I'm waiting with baited breath for more news!

Just seen this on the GAP (non industry) site

"CHANGES TO NSW MUZZLING LAWS

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

Despite the somewhat misleading article on p9 of the Sunday Telegraph (13th Feb), the Greyhound muzzling laws in NSW HAVE NOT been amended.

To the best of our knowledge, the NSW Labor Government has made no announcement re planned amendments to the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998.

However, Greyhound Racing NSW announced on 12th Feb an agreement with the Liberals & Nationals, that if they are elected on March 26th, the Greyhound muzzling laws will be amended for dogs adopted by Greyhound Racing's "Greyhounds As Pets" program.

Until further information is available, please continue to obey the law and muzzle your Greyhound(s) whenever they are outside your property or vehicle. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubby and I made a couple of phone calls, and this is what we were told. I hope that dogs assessed in other states can be included without re-testing. I can't wait until we can have Harry assessed.

Our Harry was race trained apparently, but was too slow. He doesn't care about the cats wondering in our yard, but is interested in our chooks (has never been allowed to run with them), so I would want him assessed before having him unmuzzled. I believe he would pass a test, but would want someone with more experienced than me to judge that. Hopefully I can have that opportunity here in NSW, and have him walking around without the muzzle.

He would not be off lead unless, like now, he is in a fully enclosed area and safe from cars, etc. He used to have a penchant for just running as fast as he can, now that he's older, he has better recall, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

I'm waiting with baited breath for more news!

I made enquiries too Flashsmum - basically GAP NSW don't know too much yet as they are still dealing with the pollies etc. I asked about whether dogs who have been through GAP from other states would be re-tested and they weren't sure yet. But the test is going to be the standard that they use in other states. I believe the test will involve small dogs but not cats or other animals (as well as other things as well).

In Qld for the (non GAP dog) green collar assessments we only test with a small fluffy dog, not cats or chooks etc. I imagine NSW will be the same.

The GAP VIC green collar only means that dog has been temp tested with small fluffy dogs and I think if they are extremely good with small fluffy dogs they then get tested with cats and chooks are another thing again.

Here in Victoria greyhounds being tested for their green collar undergo the exact same assessment as our dogs for adoption. They are tested for predatory behaviour (small dogs, cats etc), resource guarding etc. A greyhound would fail our assessment if he was not safe around small dogs (not being safe around cats is not a fail), if he was absolutely terrified of people, if he barked constantly, if he was unsound etc.

• 2 weeks later...

If they tested with cats and chooks, half the dogs, of any breed, in Australia would fail. :laugh:

In Qld for the (non GAP dog) green collar assessments we only test with a small fluffy dog, not cats or chooks etc. I imagine NSW will be the same.

The GAP VIC green collar only means that dog has been temp tested with small fluffy dogs and I think if they are extremely good with small fluffy dogs they then get tested with cats and chooks are another thing again.

I've actually seen two Greyhounds kill small dogs :laugh:

The first time, the Grey was not muzzled and ran down a SWF and which sadly, dies later from its injuries.

The second time the Grey was muzzled but ended up chasing a small terrier type dog into the water and drowned it.

This is not to say all greyhounds are killers, but to say they are all safe is just not true (just like any other dog).

keep your eyes on the non-industry GAP website - gapnsw.org.au - they've even got links to the legislation.

i think they scheduled the green collar days before this change arose, and are hoping that they'll be able to go ahead with them.

great news - but - could be a disaster waiting to happen - they are allowed off lead in NSW

no dog is allowed off-lead in NSW except in designated council off-leash areas.

yes - that is offlead!