Nsw Greyhound Muzzle Laws Revised

Kirty

That is a very rash statement to say every racing greyhound is fine because it's just not true.

no because first and foremost they are dogs and not all dogs are suitable to be off leash and not muzzled. Greyhound owners should never lose sight of what their dogs were originally bred to do - hunt!

But people being people there will be some who do the wrong thing no matter what the actual laws are.

I am very pleased for the vast majority of responisble grey owners that they will soon be able to dispense with the muzzle.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear that one very stupid bit of breed specific legislation has been relaxed.

Sure, greyhounds were bred for running down prey. So were all sight hounds. And there are greys . . . and dozens of other breeds . . . who find it good sport to run down a cat or SWF. I'm sure there are greyhound trainers who encourage the blood-sport aspect of the chase. The law should go after those trainers . . . not the dogs.

Edited by sandgrubber

GAP Victoria is a department of Greyhound Racing Victoria and there for funded by GRV.

By the reading of the latest media release NSW program will be run the same as GAP VIC is at the moment but it will be interesting to see if they change the NSW industry group's name from Greyhounds As Pets as it is known now.

http://www.thedogs.com.au/NewsArticle.aspx?NewsId=2182

I'm not sure what they could change it too. Greyhound Adoption Program (NSW)GAPNSW, has been going considerably longer, as I understand it Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW) decided to set up their own program 'Greyhounds as Pets', they had up until that point supported GAPNSW.

GAP Victoria is a department of Greyhound Racing Victoria and there for funded by GRV.

By the reading of the latest media release NSW program will be run the same as GAP VIC is at the moment but it will be interesting to see if they change the NSW industry group's name from Greyhounds As Pets as it is known now.

http://www.thedogs.com.au/NewsArticle.aspx?NewsId=2182

I'm not sure what they could change it too. Greyhound Adoption Program (NSW)GAPNSW, has been going considerably longer, as I understand it Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW) decided to set up their own program 'Greyhounds as Pets', they had up until that point supported GAPNSW.

why is there any need to change the name? WA is Greyhounds as Pets

Fantasic news and I will be looking to get my guys assessed. Of course mine never go offlead in public and I hope others still do the same

Ilive in Vic and have seen a few off leash in public parks, no muzzles and no green collar. I have little dogs so left the park.

I don't blame you megan - thats so irresponsible.

Even if they don't see a small dog as prey, they can very easily accidently knock over and injury a small dog (as can any large dog) - and with little to no recall having them offlead in the open like that is not a good thing.

GAP NSW seem to be doing the assessing, the first 2 dates are booked up.

Patch came from GAP QLD (thanks Greytmate :)) and has a green collar from there so I am wondering if he has to be reassessed. I will email and ask.

My MIL just sms'd me to say that they were talking about it on ABC radio and had mentioned that the changing of the muzzling law was a promise but the article says it has already been amended.

My understanding is that the legislation has not yet been through Parliament, but it is proposed.

Snow Wolf, greyhounds are not muzzled because they are "likely to bite someone" - it is because some can and do exhibit very high predatory behaviour. I have a greyhound at home who would never, in a million years, pass GAP as she is in no way safe around small dogs.

This is a positive step forward and, if managed correctly, will help see more greyhounds into homes as pets. I have to admit that it does worry me though that greyhounds are allowed off leash in public up there in NSW.

CBL, the legislation does not cross boarders so I'm pretty sure you'll need to get your guy assessed there in NSW in order to not muzzle him. It will depend on the actual wording of the legislation.

Just seen this on the GAP (non industry) site

"CHANGES TO NSW MUZZLING LAWS

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

Despite the somewhat misleading article on p9 of the Sunday Telegraph (13th Feb), the Greyhound muzzling laws in NSW HAVE NOT been amended.

To the best of our knowledge, the NSW Labor Government has made no announcement re planned amendments to the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998.

However, Greyhound Racing NSW announced on 12th Feb an agreement with the Liberals & Nationals, that if they are elected on March 26th, the Greyhound muzzling laws will be amended for dogs adopted by Greyhound Racing’s “Greyhounds As Pets” program.

Until further information is available, please continue to obey the law and muzzle your Greyhound(s) whenever they are outside your property or vehicle. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so we are not quite there yet. Hopefully it isn't too far away then. GAP NSW must be pretty confident though as they have assessments booked in!

Larissa, thanks for that - I would never let him go unmuzzled without confirming it with the appropriate people.

Snow Wolf, greyhounds are not muzzled because they are "likely to bite someone" - it is because some can and do exhibit very high predatory behaviour. I have a greyhound at home who would never, in a million years, pass GAP as she is in no way safe around small dogs.

I just dont agree with any breed being singled out. Any breed of dog can exhibit any behaviour, it usually comes down to the kind of environment, and training it has grown up in.

I just dont agree with any breed being singled out. Any breed of dog can exhibit any behaviour, it usually comes down to the kind of environment, and training it has grown up in.

Any breed can exhibit any behaviour, but they aren't blank slates. They come hard wired for breed tendencies. Training and environment can mold and shape the way those traits are expressed, but you can't deny the concentration of traits from so many generations of selection.

Individuals within a breed may vary a lot in their behaviours, some may be atypical of their breeds, but it just isnt true that every breed is equally likely as any other to do x behaviour if raised the same way.

I'm very glad that properly assessed greys will get to shed their muzzles, they are wonderful pets. ;) But I'd hate their new owners to think all breeds are the same or they'll just set back the cause of greys as pets.

Edited by Diva

I think you're both right.

Certain breeds are, all things being equal, more likely to express predatory behaviours than other breeds are.

But it also seems unfair that greys would need to be muzzled, but huskies or akitas or malinois do not (just to single out some more large breeds with generally very high prey drives).

Certain breeds are, all things being equal, more likely to express predatory behaviours than other breeds are.

But it also seems unfair that greys would need to be muzzled, but huskies or akitas or malinois do not (just to single out some more large breeds with generally very high prey drives).

not to mention breeds like saluki's and borzoi, etc

Edited by Rebanne

not to mention breeds like saluki's and borzoi, etc

I thought I made it clear that I also think it's unfair that greys have to be muzzled. ;)

As long as organisations like GAP are as ethical as they are in selecting out those who can't be pets and new owners are aware of the breed they are getting, it's not a problem. They are wonderful pets - I said that before too.

I feel that way about all breeds by the way - know what you are getting. Don't pretend breed doesn't matter. It isn't 'everything', but it is a large 'something'. The more i read DoL, the less I believe people are willing to accept that. Just not Politically Correct and all that perhaps?

I feel that way about all breeds by the way - know what you are getting. Don't pretend breed doesn't matter. It isn't 'everything', but it is a large 'something'. The more i read DoL, the less I believe people are willing to accept that. Just not Politically Correct and all that perhaps?

Politically correct or not it's true. But its a lot easier to get that message across here now than it was a few years ago when Team Pitbull was active.

This is very interesting news indeed.

So much spin! Not much of that happened when I orchestrated the campaign to successfully change the law in QLD.

One interesting note was that when it came to devising the wording of the legislation, it had to be worded so that any organisation was able to do the assessing if they passed a certain benchmark. It was the benchmark that was put into law, not our organisation.

It seems strange to me that any law would be passed that allowed a single corporation to have a monopoly on testing. How does a State government give a gambling corporation the legal power to override local laws? I seriously don't understand this.

As long as the current constitution is in place, greyhound racing and adoption will always be state based. The way the QLD legislation is worded gives dogs tested under Victorian GAP exactly the same rights as QLD green collar dogs. I sincerely hope that NSW enacts exactly the same law. And that it does not enact any laws to give greyhound racing authorities (gambling companies) exclusive authority over pet greyhound owners. Scary.

Slightly off topic but I was told many years ago when I was walking my Staghound by an old man that the South Australian legislation on muzzling dogs in public dates back to the late 1800s and states all sighthounds must be muzzled in public places. I am sure this is a bylaw that would never be policed but is anybody aware of this?

I have always been curious as to whether this is correct or not ;)

Edited by Robbi

Having worked in the UK where there is no law requiing muzzling of any sighthounds and many people walk them off lead, in an area with a fairly high proportion of whippets, greyhounds and working lurchers (I know it's illegal but it was still carrying on) I never saw a small dog or cat that had been attacked by a sighthound. The small animal killers in our practice were akitas and airedales!!

Having worked in the UK where there is no law requiing muzzling of any sighthounds and many people walk them off lead, in an area with a fairly high proportion of whippets, greyhounds and working lurchers (I know it's illegal but it was still carrying on) I never saw a small dog or cat that had been attacked by a sighthound. The small animal killers in our practice were akitas and airedales!!

That's interesting. Are the greys racing stock or more bred for actual field work, or just for pets?

Not that I'd expect them to be killers either way, but having them off lead around traffic boggles my mind a bit.

Do any come in hit by cars after a dash across the road? Or is this a low traffic area?

Edited by Diva