Supercoat Dry Food

dixilee

I feed supercoat over bonnie, my dogs do better on it, and the cats get supercoat too

I do also feed plenty of raw meaty bones, sardines, yoghurt, chicken frames and rabbit and roo when I can source it

I believe Supercoat is preservative and colour free.

However, Pedigree is more cost effective because, where I am, the 15kg bag is cheaper per kilogram than Supercoat.

The Natural Pedigree is the same except for one single component.

But my dogs also get chicken wings or drumsticks twice a day, red meat bones regularly, and tinned Pedigree when it's on special.

They occasionally get milk, ice-cream, banana, eggs, and whatever else they choose not to turn their nose up at.

They have also been given vegemite and peanut butter off a spoon.

I could go on but they can't drive so they don't get maccas. ;)

Bonnie, hands down

I've always walked straight past Bonnie.

The packaging always looks a bit nasty.

I must get some this week. :eek:

It's funny, three of my dogs will eat Supercoat Light and Mature, and one won't.

There is one type of biscuit I have to take out of it and then it goes. :D

Guest Labradork

Hey all,

I actually used to work for the manufacturer of Bonnie & Supercoat, and from what I understood, Supercoat was generally a better choice.

However, that said, I learnt a lot about the different "levels" of processed pet foods (budget, mainstream, premium, super premium), and since doing so I've been buying bulk bags of high-quality stuff at pet food stores.

Although they seem ludicrously expensive, when you break it down to cost-per-feed, it actually works out very close to Supermarket-grade foods. This is because premium food is more "concentrated" (less fillers), allowing dogs to absorb more of the good stuff (e.g. nutrients etc.), and feel fuller for longer. As a result of this, the quantity you dish out to your dog/s is actually much less, and you also see a LOT less of it coming out the other end. (As a side note, when it does come out, it looks a lot healthier and won't smell nearly as bad, and there is a lot less flatulence!). You'll also notice things like a shinier coat, brighter eyes, healthier teeth/gums, less halitosis, more energy etc. Probably most importantly, extensive research has shown that feeding a super premium diet can also add up to 2 years of life onto your dog on average. That was what hit home for me.

I feed Hill's Science Diet, but would recommend any comparable brand - have fed Eukanuba before and that was great too.

A super premium diet isn't for everyone and that's completely understandable - if it's not for you then I'd recommend considering premium supermarket brands, e.g. Optimum, in bulk bags, which is one level above Supercoat. If you are going to switch foods, remember to gradually transition it over at least a week (they usually instruct you on how to do this on the bag). And try to stick to the same main "flavour" as you've been giving in your previous food (i.e. "Chicken", "Beef", "Lamb") as this will reduce the stress on your dog's system. Lastly, stick to dry food if possible and steer clear of cans/trays. If you need to feed wet, you're better off boiling a chicken breast.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, L :kissbetter:

I feed Hill's Science Diet, but would recommend any comparable brand - have fed Eukanuba before and that was great too.

My understanding is that Hill's is generally frowned upon, as they look good because they sponsor vets, not actually manufacture good food (yet still charge a lot!). At super premium level, a lot of forumites would recommend Black Hawk, Nutro, Eagle Pack and Artemis.

Don't forget that in the end, every dog is unique - just because it works on most dogs doesn't mean it would on yours.

I'd feed Supercoat before I'd feed Science Diet, and I would have to have have no other choice to feed either of them! I'd rather feed them the Woolies Select dog food and if money ever became that much of an issue I would.

I have used Bonnie in the past and at the time it was fine, dogs did well on it. Can't feed it anymore, my Dobe is 'sensitive' to processed foods so they are all on raw now. Have fed him Black Hawk however and that was fine, but can't get it up here in Darwin.

Mine are all on Supercoat and do well, three on the large breed, the pup on Puppy Supercoat

I found that the three adults were always hungry on Bonnie, always wanting more food. They don't do this on Supercoat.