Alizin

brittanygirl

I had to give my 18 month bitch the Alizin injection early January as there was a possibility that my 7 month old puppy may have mated her. He may have been with her up to 2 hours as he broke out to get to her. I thought it better to be safe than sorry.

I just heard a scream in the backyard and found them tied together. It isn't even 8 weeks since she was in season. He had been interested in her in the last couple of days, but there was no bleeding or swelling that I noticed. I don't want this mating, he is too young to be hipscored yet and I have another mating planned. Has anyone here used the Alizin injection twice on the one bitch.

You need to MAKE SURE that your dogs are secure so that he cannot get to her, CRATE if necessary or are you prepared to keep on using the drug as a contraceptive!! NOT a good idea.

I for one would never use it twice in succession.

Thanks for the helpful advice ;)

The dog broke through a wall in the home to get to the girl last time. This time there was no evidence that she was even in season. My vets never told me that it would bring her back into season so soon. Before I used it I spoke to other breeders who had used it and had their girls cycle normally afterwards. I will get a progesterone test done to see where she is at, as she still doesnt look like she is in season to me.

Thanks for the helpful advice ;)

The dog broke through a wall in the home to get to the girl last time. This time there was no evidence that she was even in season. My vets never told me that it would bring her back into season so soon. Before I used it I spoke to other breeders who had used it and had their girls cycle normally afterwards. I will get a progesterone test done to see where she is at, as she still doesnt look like she is in season to me.

Bad vets!

I would be wary about using it again and would want advice from a vet, but not the one you're currently seeing. Is there any chance you can see a more experienced (in breeder matters) vet?

Don't panic she may not even be in season.

I had a Collie mate my husbands German Short haired Pointer many moons ago. She was not in season.

The Collie had a habit of mating any bitch in season or not. ;)

If she is not in season she will not have pups.

But check that she is not on a silent season because if she is, she just may produce a litter.

There is a thread on this at http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=158752 that you should read.

In the meantime, however, progesterone is the way to go - get that done and then you will know if you need to worry.

Also, if you are after an overview of these chemicals, I recommend that you get Karen Hedberg's book - its got a great overview of the different drugs that are used on bitches, and the possible side affects. IMO its also probably the most useful book a breeder can have.

Thanks for the helpful advice :kissbetter:

Have used Alizin. Never told by our vets that it would bring in another season. In fact with ours they did not go back into heat early.

However we were told that there are some dogs that the Alizin won't work on. Our vet advised us there is about a 95% success rate with Alizin. Unfortunately one of our bitches the Alizin doesn't work on.

I have used it. My vet gave me the possible side effects and what may happen if I did go through with it (which I did). I did not have the bitch go straight back into season, however she did cycle earlier next time.

Progesterone test.

If you are still worried, when I used it, I waited until 28 days then used the drug. You have up to 45 days to abort. Obviously earlier the better. I waited till 28 days, ultrasounded, confirmed pregnant and then used alizin. In my case the dog got to her on day 21. At least this way, you may run a chance of not needing it. Especially if the progesterone test is positive.

I also believe one of the side effects can be it harder for her to fall pregnant for a number of season after using it. Similar to a female on the pill for a long time..

Also, if you are after an overview of these chemicals, I recommend that you get Karen Hedberg's book - its got a great overview of the different drugs that are used on bitches, and the possible side affects. IMO its also probably the most useful book a breeder can have.

Agree! I've been reading it cover to cover over the last year or so. Best book I've spent money on I think.

There is a thread on this at http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=158752 that you should read.

In the meantime, however, progesterone is the way to go - get that done and then you will know if you need to worry.

As an update to the thread mentioned above

She wasn't in whelp from the mating that happened after the Alizin injection. In the end, I decided to just let nature take its course.

Last year she had her final litter without any problems.

I got the progesterone results back this morning. Not the result I was hoping for. Looks like the dog knew better than I did.

Just have to wait and see now. Hope I have a similar result to Becks.

I will have to get him PENNhip xrayed to see what his hips look like as he is too young for AVA. If they are ok I and she is in whelp, I will be having puppies in April.

My vets told me that it is much more common to have the bitch cycle later than normal instead of 6 weeks after the Alizin shot. I was just lucky I guess.