Trainer Recomendations

Alfie02

Hi everyone ;)

Some of you may remember me posting about my maltese cross dog Teddy a while ago after his biting incident. For those who dont know, in short, I have a maltese cross who is 11 years old and human aggressive and dog aggressive.

Its taken me a while to actually choose just two trainers I like and now I have saved up enough money to visit one :( .

We have taken him to the vets and had him checked out, he got the all clear, and now we need to find a trainer. I have had many great recomendations from the DOL community, and now I have narrowed it down to two.

So I have heard the great stories about K9 Pro which is one of my choices, and know I need to know if anyone has used 'All about the dog' training in Sydney. I am loving this trainer as he has toured with Cesar Millan, which means alot to me as Cesar Millan is one of my idols.

So if you have any knowledge of this training facility could you let me know?

Thanks!

It is tricky for sure. I can't comment from a personal experience perspective on All About the Dog training as I've never used them, but I do train with K9 Pro, and there's no one else I'd go to for a behaviourial consult if I lived in Sydney.

Yes I have heard great things about K9 Pro, except I dont live in Sydney so will have to travel. I just need to be sure that I choose the right trainer as we have had various trainers and they have either given up, or not provided us with adequate training methods. I am at my wits end.....Ted started a fight today amongst two dogs he is friends with ;) . I just want a dog that I can actually take places with me and not have to deal with his horrible behaviour which we have been trying for years to correct but to no avail :grouphug: . Sorry, winge over :(

Have you called and spoken to the trainers you are considering? Actually talking to them to see if you have a good rapport and if they answer your questions in a way that you are comfortable with, can help make the decision as to which one to choose.

k9 pro have some good stuff on how you should pick a trainer.

Steve from K9 pro will also recommend someone he trusts who may be closer to you.

The all dogs people - I've looked at their website and it rings alarm bells for me - I'd avoid that one.

However I've seen Steve work with a DA dog and was very impressed with his skill, timing and gentleness.

The equipment was a tad scary to look at (prong collar) but he taught the dog what to do to relieve pressure - ie move closer to Steve, before he exposed the dog to any other dog. And then he taught the owner how to work and help her own dog. Was amazing and very encouraging that this dog could be helped so easily and relatively quickly, although a long term solution would take longer ie having the dog safe in all situations.

Have you called and spoken to the trainers you are considering? Actually talking to them to see if you have a good rapport and if they answer your questions in a way that you are comfortable with, can help make the decision as to which one to choose.

Yeah call Steve, he'll talk your ear off :thumbsup:

I'd recommend K9 Pro too.

Yeah call Steve, he'll talk your ear off ;)

That doesn't sound like him :thumbsup::laugh::rofl:

I just want a dog that I can actually take places with me and not have to deal with his horrible behaviour which we have been trying for years to correct but to no avail . Sorry, winge over

I tend to wonder how realistic that aim is.

You may be able to learn to manage his behaviour but perhaps only in limited environments.

If you know he's a handful and he doesn't enjoy the company of other dogs, why don't you leave him at home?

Thanks for all the info everyone, so the go seems to be K9 pro, or at least ring and have a talk. I have sent them an email and will ring when they get back to me with a time that is good for them.

Poodlefan, we often do leave him at home but we need to take him out sometimes, like to the vets and for a daily walk. He really enjoys being with us so I want to make going places less stressful for him so that he can spend more time with us.

Thanks for all the info everyone, so the go seems to be K9 pro, or at least ring and have a talk. I have sent them an email and will ring when they get back to me with a time that is good for them.

Poodlefan, we often do leave him at home but we need to take him out sometimes, like to the vets and for a daily walk. He really enjoys being with us so I want to make going places less stressful for him so that he can spend more time with us.

I understand that. But every time you put him in a situation where he aggresses, you reinforce the behaviour.

He can be walked without being allowed close enough to people to bite them and kept away from your friend's dogs so he can't start fights.

Its not fun having an aggressive dog but you can prevent a lot of his behaviour with sensible preventative management.

Go see K9Pro - he's who I'd recommend for anyone having dog aggression issues.

dancinbcs, im in Newcastle :eek:

Poodlefan, I totally agree. We walk our dogs at time of the day when others dont walk as much, we never go to places where there are lots of people or dogs, like parks and beaches, as we dont want to risk these things. The dog fight he started was completly my fault as our other dog had a play mate over and we seperated Teddy so he couldnt get to them and placed a muzzle on him, but he still managed to start a fight. There is no excuse, we will have no more play dates at our house. Have contacted K9 pro :)