Breed Specific Characteristics

silentchild

Some lines of Borzoi grin by lifting their top lip up off their front teeth, and most of them lean on people and sleep upside down. The bigger ones tend to sit on chairs by backing up their backside onto a seat and lifting their back feet off the ground, but lots of the giant breeds do that.

The only thing that I can thing of that might be very breed specific is cheek puffing. A lot of them puff their cheeks in and out when annoyed/thinking/perplexed.

Edited by Diva

All my GSD's have had an intense focus to 'herd' kids away from water. You'll be walking along the beach, maybe an occasional circle, then as soon as the kid turns towards the water... SWOSH!!! the dog instantly tightens the circle or gently guides them back up the beach. The more subtle version is where the dog sits by the pool and acts as guardian to it's kids......no way in hell you're going to distract that dog from keeping watch of it's little ppl :laugh:

I've also heard of GSD's jumping into pools/dams and pulling kids out to stop them drowning :)

GSPs point - it amazed us when our 10 week old gsp pointed at the cat the first time they met! They are also very vocal.

You would hope that your GSP points seeings they are bred too :laugh:

Both my pointers snorkle in water as do a fair few I know. They also had smells and sprays and will rub themselves all over the ground to get the smell away. :)

Yes, very true! I was waiting for a comment like that. It is still amazing to see something so young just know how to do it... she was able to point before she started to wag her tail!

my 3 GSPs have all crossed their paws when lying down and slightly alert; I have a german porcelain statue of a GSP in this pose so I assume it is a breed characteristic. Re the pointing: my 8 year old has never been very fussed about pointing birds but after much praise when she pointed a cockroach in the house, has now started to bring my attention to dead or dying roaches. very useful!

Interesting replies so far! Though most of these I think applies to most dogs in general, like enjoying having their bellies / ears rubbed, sleeping on backs, etc. :laugh:

bullies "moon walk" or 'trance". all mine except this one have done it, very odd :)

What do you mean by moon walk / trance? Surely you don't mean they dance like Micheal Jackson lol??

Bullies hucklebutt!

And they do the bully egg (sleep in a ball that looks like an egg)

Hucklebutt??

Not sure I'm qualified to say, having a x breed, but Saxon and every Poodle (and most Poodle x's) I've met play by standing up on their hind legs and wrestling/boxing with their front legs :)

I call it "Poodle wrestling" and have seen Saxon and lots of others do it, or try, from Toys to Standards and everthing in between. So cute.

Many other dogs, especially working dogs I've noticed, tend to look confused when they sniff a nice hello, get ready for a good game of chase and then have a little curly-haired thing stand up and starts pointing his arms at them and tapping their face!

Some lines of Borzoi grin by lifting their front lips up off their front teeth, and most of them lean on people and sleep upside down. The bigger ones tend to sit on chairs by backing up their backside onto a seat and lifting their back feet off the ground, but lots of the giant breeds do that.

The only thing that I can thing of that might be very breed specific is cheek puffing. A lot of them puff their cheeks in and out when annoyed/thinking/perplexed.

i love the cheek puffing. i'd be interested to know if other breeds do it.

i also like how borzoi use their front legs to tackle 'prey' (he does this with the kids in gentle play). Its similar to how a cheater trips prey or grabs them when hunting. i think saluki's do it too from what i've heard.

I have a border collie cross who has a (very cute) habit of pawing us when she wants attention or is just being playful. She also does it with other dogs. A lady at puppy preschool told me that she also has border collies and apparently pawing is typical to the breed. Our puppy also seems to have a strong herding instinct, and I am not sure if this is pat of it, but when she plays fetch, she will only chase the ball when it's on the ground. She doesn't even look at it when it's flying through the air. Or maybe that is just her being weird =)

Aussies use their front paws as hands. They hold food with them, use them to swipe things towards themselves (generally food from the kitchen bench) and two of mine can open doors with their paws. I have also seen Benson use one front paw to point to something to show another dog. If Benson had thumbs on his front paws he'd be dangerously human-like. He's way too dexterous as it is.

Australian Shepherds grin....well some of them do. It's a breed specific trait. Some of them also shake when excited or focussed.....their whole rear end shivers.

I love the grinners! :love: Out of interest, do any of yours Gayle? Holly is the only one of mine who does the whole top lip lift thing but Maizie almost gets there.

Dalmatians are also big grinners. :cry:

I also love the Aussie wiggle butts. Maizie is my biggest wiggler, she bends in half and then each end shimmies individually. So you have a banana shaped dog wiggling in two directions, often with something in it's mouth, and trying to walk in a straight line. :o