Sleep Well, Little Snowy

Curlybert

Dearest Snowy was put gently to sleep this morning, four months after being diagnosed with lymphoma. She was a month shy of her 15th birthday.

Her origins were very humble - she was a pet shop mongredoodle bought by my sister in Melbourne. Snowy lived in a very dysfunctional household for 12 years with a number of other dogs who bullied her, and she spent most of her time cowering under my sister's bed until she came to me. She was loved in Melbourne but her life was far from ideal.

When she came to me she was wary of my two big sooky Goldens until she realised they were not intending to have her for breakfast and she ended up enjoying their company and having some great games with them. More than anything she loved a walk and she had heaps of them here. I know her last two and a half years were the happiest of her life, and that is a great comfort.

Our beautiful Snowy Chloe / Snowlene Jolene. We love you girl and we'll never forget you. Wait for me over the bridge! XXXXX

Thanks DM - almost got her breakfast ready this morning. :) The vet had said I would know it was time when she went off her food. Well, she never did go off her food but was clearly getting more uncomfortable. Among her many endearing qualities I will always remember her hearty appetite!

Thanks Fiona - I'm trying hard to be brave! :happydance2:

You don't need to be brave. I know I certainly wasn't when I lost my girl. :happydance2:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing the oldies is absolutely devastating.

It sounds like Snowy had a wonderful life after going to live with you, she will always be thankful for you giving her that time and love.

Rest easy Snowy. You did your family proud.

Thanks Persephone and The Ark. It's funny how warming Snowy's breakfast and hiding her pills in it became routine. When I get up now I still have this vague feeling there is something I should be doing for her!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Curlybert, I'm sorry I didn't realise you'd recently lost your girl Snowy.

It is testament to the wonderful loving environment at your home that a timid dog that hid under a bed for most of 12 years would feel secure enough to not only venture out but play with your two.

So happy for Snowy that she got to spend her last years living as a dog should.

So sad for you that it couldn't have lasted longer. :o

Run free Snowy :)

I know what you mean about the pill routine, and how ingrained the habit gets. After 5 years of pills morning and night, and writing down what time they were given so I knew what time to feed the horde, I felt quite disorientated the first week or so when it came to feeding Ella and the cats, it seemed like I'd forgotten something very important.