Baileys mum

Smoking around pets  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a smoker?

• Yes
    • No
    • No but I used to smoke
    • Other
  2. 2. If you are a smoker, do you smoke around your pets?

• No I never
    • Yes I do
    • I used to smoke & I never smoked around my pets
    • I used to smoke & I did smoke around my pets
    • I have never smoked
    • Other
  3. 3. Does it bother you when people smoke around pets?

• I'm a non smoker & yes it does bother me
    • I'm a non smoker & it doesn't bother me that people smoke around their pets
    • I'm a smoker & it does bother me
    • I'm a smoker & it doesn't bother me
    • I used to be a smoker & it does bother me
    • I used to be a smoker & it doesn't bother me
    • other

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree with smoking around cats/ dogs.

One of the most off putting things about dog shows is the amount of people smoking - I would love to see DogsNSW make the grounds smoke free at Erskine Park. I have seen numerous exhibitors bending down to get their dogs out of a crate and a lead on with a cigarette in their mouth less than 20cm away from the dog's face.

When I was a smoker I didn't care. Now I'm not a smoker I care.

Same here, but I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma last year. With luck, surgery and chemotherapy, I am doing OK.

Please smokers, the best thing you can do for your health is give up!!!!

PS My dogs rarely sneeze nowadays.

I'm not into passive smoking for kids, dogs or anyone.

Given that I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke or smokers, I can only wonder how an animal with a far more sensitive nose than mine finds it.

I completely agree. It's a bit OT but I always wonder about how my dog's nose seems to work, because strangely enough, many of the smells that seem absolutely disgusting to me seem to really do it for him. Eg. raw sewage, decaying animals, rotting food, fecal matter from any species etc.

I think it is too glib and easy to blame cigarette smoke for cancers ... there are many other causes, and there is little explanation for some cancer deaths. I am not saying fags are never to blame, but there are other causes too, and we should be aware of them.

Until about 20 years ago, I had never heard of a dog dying from cancer. My vet said that was because old dogs tended to get cancer, and

"in those days" dogs died before they were old enough to get cancer - and - diagnostic techniques are better now.

I agree with that, but I think industrial pollution, and "modern life" is the cause. More people smoked 20 years ago+ too. And I remember a lo of dogs living to be old, and popping off from "old age" in their teens.

jacqui835 I kew a lot of people who died of cancer of one sort or another, and none of them smoked. Lost a friend last week, he was diagnosed with untreatable lung cancer in January. A friend's mother died last July from lung cancer. They are part of a very long list.

Although I don't have a problem with smoking = cancer, I do have a problem with people who would never have been exposed to much cigarette smoke dying of cancer which was "smoking related".

I lived in a small town which was a major cancer capital. Hardly anyone smoked. I have never lived anywhere where so few people smoked, but the use of fertilizers, weed sprays, insecticides was very common, including frequent aerial bombardment of crops.

My father died from cancer when he was 45 years old. Never smoked a cigarette in his life. My mother smoked from when she was maybe 16 until about 35, she also drinks well beyond the recommended daily limit and generally has a pretty unhealthy lifestyle, but she's an ox. She also grew up in a small farming town and was regularly exposed to all kinds of freaky deaky chemicals as a child and laughs at the precautions people take today. Wait, her father drinks alcohol at breakfast and has been smoking for over 60 years and he too is going strong! Well this must mean that smoking and drinking are good for you right? Or maybe it was the farm chemicals?

Just because you know of one, two or even several people who had different experiences, this does not change the fact that cigarettes contain harmful chemicals that aren't good for you and many of these chemicals cause cancers under both lab and real world settings. None of our personal observations are of statistical significance.

Now does that mean that if you smoke, you will get cancer, or if you don't smoke that you won't? No, because you're unique and other factors come into play. Does this mean though that smoking is bad for you? Yes, it's virtually impossible to predict exactly how you as an individual (or your pets) will be affected by smoking, but we can safely say that you won't be better for it.

Second hand smoke from cigarettes is damn nasty too. These people you know of may only have been exposed to small amounts that don't seem to have affected anyone else negatively, but perhaps for them, it was too much. One day we'll probably know a lot more about this sort of stuff, and that might be a good thing or it might not...

As to why would someone would want to smoke in the first place. Well, smoking makes people feel good, it's addictive and if your friends do something it can be hard to say no. It's kind of like when I go skiing and go off the main runs and ski really fast. Sure it's dangerous, if I crashed I'd probably die and not be found for ages. But it's my life, I think it's worth it and I firmly believe that people should be allowed to do what they like with their lives so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But you should be informed.

I'm not disagreeing with you - and I don't really need a lecture, thanks but imho, it is always a good idea to keep your mind open to new and different ideas. :cheer:

It's hard to be open minded about cigarette smoke when if you do go into a ward full of lung cancer patients - you find that 29 out of 30 of them smoke and the 30th worked with asbestos.

And I don't like the way it makes me feel. It smells bad, it makes my clothes stink, it makes it hard to breathe and it makes my eyes water uncontrollably.

And people who smoke on narrow city streets at lunch time have burnt holes in me and my clothing without even noticing. I view those cigarettes the same as if the person was carrying a sharp knife at thigh height because it's going to have a similar impact if I get shoved into it. It's like "do you mind if I poison you?". While I wouldn't make it illegal, I'd rather not stand too close to people smoking. I tend to go up wind if it's a social gathering. Or leave early if that's not possible.

And yes, there are lots of people I know and like who smoke. My brother is one of them (on and off). It's just not that easy to quit - and that's another reason I hate cigarettes.

Thanks everyone for all the replies so far. :)

First of all, going by the poll its very pleasing to see the amount of Dolers that do not smoke & the Dolers that used to smoke,but have since kicked this horrible habit...as someone that used to smoke I know it is not an easy habit to kick, so congratulations to the people that have managed to do it. :)

I'm also equally pleased that the majority of Dolers (& that includes quite a few of you that do smoke )will not tolerate any 2nd hand cigarette smoke near any of their pets.

I'm not sure if their has been any research done with the health effects of 2nd hand smoke & dogs, but personally I can't see it being a good thing, & would never have it near any of my pets. We live on a rural property in the hills & my dogs get to breath beautiful fresh air at all times, so it saddens me when I see pets that have to breath in cigarette smoke 24 hours a day. :laugh:

After reading the post about the actual chemicals in cigarettes, I actually feel physically sick :cheer: I can't believe I put those chemicals in my body for so many years. I've been smoke free for 5 years now, & feel so much better for it....but only time will tell if my body has been affected in the long term & if my ciggie smoking days come back to haunt me.

Thanks again for everyones posts, its been interesting reading everyones views. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I'm not disagreeing with you - and I don't really need a lecture, thanks but imho, it is always a good idea to keep your mind open to new and different ideas. :)

That post was not solely for you, but I didn't mean to lecture at any rate. I would agree that keeping an open mind (within reason) is the way to go, we'd be nowhere without that. That's why I was talking about the presence of many other factors that would need to be taken into consideration if you wanted to accurately be able to predict how smoking or second hand smoking would affect an individual (or animal).

Many people had made points that they knew someone who had been afflicted with lung cancer who hadn't smoked, or that humans and/or animals exposed were apparently unaffected - I was merely trying to make the point that statistics can be tricky and I guess I ended up lecturing people a bit trying to warn them to not take too many inferences from these case studies out of context.

I've been tutoring at uni for too long lol.

I'm sure I remember seeing a study reporting that dogs who lived with smokers were more likely to get certain types of cancers, particularly nasal cancers in shorter nosed breeds I'll have to see if I can find it.

There have been numerous studies over many many years quantifying the obvious causal links between smoking and increased rates of certain types of cancers in humans, anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal, against real population statistics it just can't compete.

Edit well I was half right there have been studies and it was nasal cancer but it's longer nosed dogs that are more at risk, a quick google showed up quite a few articles

http://therealowner.com/health/can-second-...risk-of-cancer/

Edit #2 according to another article shorter nosed dogs are more likely to get lung cancer, I did find one awful study where they forced dogs to smoke to prove that smoking causes cancer :) because the tobacco companies weren't convinced that statistical correlation didn't indicate causation and therefore needed a more direct experiment to prove causation.

Edited by WoofnHoof

I've never smoked at all, neither have my kids or OH.

My parents however smoked heaps and I'm sure one day I will pay the price (as they have already)

Re animals, several of our cats died from lung cancer/disease when I was growing up. Autopsies were done, so I know that was what it was. Our house was full of smoke all the time, and even in those days we were told that the tiny lungs of a cat could not handle it.... :(:)

... I did find one awful study where they forced dogs to smoke to prove that smoking causes cancer :thumbsup: because the tobacco companies weren't convinced that statistical correlation didn't indicate causation and therefore needed a more direct experiment to prove causation.

christ almighty!

i smoked all throughout my first cat's life and he lived 'til 19 years passing i think of renal failure :thumbsup:

one of my dogs [bella] leaves the general area when i apply deoderant and body spray --- that behaviour indicates to me that she finds it unpleasant. my other dog [byron] hangs around but he will sneeze and if bella returns to my side before the air clears, she will have a little cough...

not saying that this compares to smoking but it's clear to me that what i do in my environment does have an effect on my dogs --- i now close the door to them when i apply these sprays.

EFG

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

As for having animals inside when people are smoking is just awful, especially if it's a long term thing and it can't be healthy. Personally I find many (not all :( ) smokers to be selfish and unconcerned with the comfort of others (pets or people). I choose not to smoke so why should I or my kids and pets have to breathe it in when it's not our choice?

Well said and I agree. And not just selfish in regards to others comfort but health as well.