House/pet Sitters

juice

I really don't know wether to put my dogs into kennels for a month while i go oversea's, or to use a housesitter. :)

Downside with kennels, i would need to stop mail, bins , have someone come check the pool is ok every week ( overflow if it chucks it down), i also have budgies outside, and fish inside. Dogs would need c5's each ( currently all c3).Dogs in kennels for a month is a long time :)

Upside with kennels, i know the dogs are safe, house is clean as i leave it, bit of a clean freak :(

Worry about dogs with a stranger if they got out etc?

I have never had a pet/house sitter, has anyone had good or bad experiences they can tell me about?

I have done pet minding for others. IMO it is ok if an owner's absence is only short. For longer absences I would definitely recommend a good kennel over someone popping in for an hour or so daily. Twenty three hours a day x 30 is a lot of hours the dog is by itself completely.

I have a friends daughter that I use. She goes to Uni locally and so can commute from my house to the Uni if needed.

I pay her $50 a day which I think is cheap for 3 dogs and 3 cats. I don;t worry about them getting out as I have locks on my gates and have not given her a key to the gates.

So far she has only done a few short stints but we are going to book her for 2 weeks when we go away in August

I would never use a stranger to do it, only someone I know and trust. There is also a DOLer I would ask also if I needed someone - just that person lives further away and probably not worth their while for a day or two here and there.

If I only had one dog and cat I would probably just board them

I had a couple of wrinklies house sit for me when I went to Canberra for three months. They enjoyed the holiday, got to explore the town and live rent free. I didn't pay them but paid all the bills so they only had to pay for their food. It can work out really well, look at the house sitter sites for more info.

my gates are all padlocked, so they couldn't get out.

I have 3 dogs, so expensive to put them into kennels for that long, but i would want them walked twice a day, which is a big ask for a sitter, but i would be prepared to pay .

Will look into some sites for sitters.

Pet Sitters Australia have carers that can stay overnight in your home to care for your pets. They all have police clearances and full insurance. Kerry, the owner is great and very knowledgeable. You can check out the website at www.petsitaus.com.au

my gates are all padlocked, so they couldn't get out.

I have 3 dogs, so expensive to put them into kennels for that long, but i would want them walked twice a day, which is a big ask for a sitter, but i would be prepared to pay .

Will look into some sites for sitters.

And when were you travelling overseas? :) Me and my boyfriend are looking for a house sitting place from Sydney for April, but you propably are not going anywhere with such short notice.

We have done house sittings for three dog owners who all have used house sitters also previously. They all said they haven't ever had any problems.

I travel to shows a bit and they usually mean a weekend away so I use a dog sitter quite a lot. It took me a few disasters to find a decent one but a good one makes life a lot easier.

That said it is really hard to find the right one. I have one dog that is not trustworthy with children and another that I would say is man aggressive. Found men's clothing left behind once and a child pair of sandals another time. Obviously nothing happened but they were taking risks I wouldn't without my permission. Also found they weren't there the hours i wanted them to be, going out at night and leaving barking dogs.

I have 2 really great ones now but still don't know if I would leave them in charge for a mth and I wouldn't allow them to walk the dogs of the property.

ooh i was just listening to a conversation about someone looking to be a house-sitter

i dont know them

but my friend does...quite well

so if youre interested pm me...i can chase it up for you

I am a pet Sitter in burpengary QLD and i care for pets that are alone most of the week which i see once or twice daily.. I have left my girl with pet sitters also which i would use over a kennel any time.

For longer absences I would definitely recommend a good kennel over someone popping in for an hour or so daily.

A dog is alone all day in a kennel anyway, in a cage mind you, alone from breakfast until dinner with heaps of others dogs barking and whining and with MAYBE an short grass break.. to me that is not a great experience.

At least leaving them at home they are comfortable in their own familiar surroundings.. I see pets everyday, playing with them, feeding them, taking them for runs, bathing and brushing them giving them the attention their owners would lavish on them if they were there, to me an hour or 2 of that a day is better then all day at a kennel..

plus your home is security checked, mail collected, bins taken in/out, aired out, i even mow the lawns and look after pools for some families.. I think it makes a difference how much love the dog/pet recieves, wether its at a kennel or from a sitter.. you just have to ask each what they provide your pets..

I am a pet Sitter in burpengary QLD and i care for pets that are alone most of the week which i see once or twice daily.. I have left my girl with pet sitters also which i would use over a kennel any time.
For longer absences I would definitely recommend a good kennel over someone popping in for an hour or so daily.

A dog is alone all day in a kennel anyway, in a cage mind you, alone from breakfast until dinner with heaps of others dogs barking and whining and with MAYBE an short grass break.. to me that is not a great experience.

Goodness! I'd not want to send my dog to the type of kennels you seem to know about and of. I could negate every one of the negatives you've raised. And kennels where the dog is alone all day? I don't know any kennel (and I know a few) where that is the case. Generally kennels are so busy cleaning, feeding, moving dogs around, giving meds, washing/bathing the ones who are going home, and so forth that those dogs see humans for more hours per day than they would even when at home with their full time working family.

Edited by Erny

Best to make sure they're dog savvy.

We've used 2 different house sitters in the past few years. One was dog savvy and everything was fine.

The second wasn't quite so dog savvy. Nothing wrong with the dogs but the house didn't smell too flash when we got back.... don't think they were being let out enough.

• 11 months later...

I have been house sitting for over 5 years and very much recommend it. Your house and pets are looked after and the house sitter gets free rent and utilities = perfect for both sides. Have a look at http://www.ozhousesitters.com.au/ (you can place an ad for free) for more information, I get most of my house sits through them and word of mouth.