Rscpa Threatens To Close Yagoona Shelter

Guest Ams

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rspca...0-1226016067737

SYDNEY'S largest animal shelter may be forced to close unless a multi-million dollar government grant is forthcoming.

The RSPCA has been lobbying since 2008 for a one-off seven-point-five million dollar grant from the New South Wales government in order to revamp its shelter in the western suburb of Yagoona.

The RSPCA says parts of the building are dilapidated with one section of roof crumbling and staff in another part of the building working near asbestos-filled walls.

New South Wales Primary Industries Minister Steve Whan's office has indicated an announcement could be made soon.

SYDNEY'S largest animal shelter may be forced to close unless a multi-million dollar government grant is forthcoming.

The RSPCA has been lobbying since 2008 for a one-off seven-point-five million dollar grant from the New South Wales government in order to revamp its shelter in the western suburb of Yagoona.

The RSPCA says parts of the building are dilapidated with one section of roof crumbling and staff in another part of the building working near asbestos-filled walls.

New South Wales Primary Industries Minister Steve Whan's office has indicated an announcement could be made soon.

Where do they get their animals from? Do they have council contracts or is it all surrenders?

Perhaps they should get in a professional service adviser and go through their books and find where their money is going.

Based on last year's Annual Report they got around $25m in revenue but managed to spend $32m in operating expenses.

Alternatively, they could free up some of the $62m they have in assets...

Interestingly their Annual Report does not say how much they spent on legals (that I can see). It does show they recovered very little by the way of court costs and fines.

I see the lawyer no longer sits on the Board but the barrister they brief does.

I had a good giggle over that story too. They have let yagoona fall into disrepair, then claim poor. They certainly have enough descretionary money to put towards TV shows and advertising that could be directed into improving facilities for animals and staff. Perhaps shave a few staff off of their media department and and head office?

Where do they get their animals from? Do they have council contracts or is it all surrenders?

They are all surrenders.

^^^ Nope - this was from their campaign in 2009: http://www.rspcansw.org.au/ways_to_help/ca...yagoona_shelter

Adam_F.jpg

For over 135 years, RSPCA New South Wales has been doing society's dirty work, work the government doesn't want to do.

Our Sydney shelter at Yagoona is the largest in the southern hemisphere. This facility not only cares for and protects thousands of metropolitan animals each year, but it also acts as a filter facility for regional animals. We transport animals from our eleven shelters around the state to Yagoona where they have a better chance of being rehomed.

The RSPCA manages ten pounds across the State – Blue Mountains, Coffs Harbour, Gosford, Hastings, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Newcastle and Orange. RSPCA adoption services operate with Council co-operation at Dubbo and Nowra.

But this year there has been a debate about whether the RSPCA should run Council pounds because of the increased cost of doing so. Currently, the RSPCA takes ownership of all unclaimed animals and assesses their suitability for re-homing.

This year 5220 unclaimed pound dogs were received by the RSPCA. Around 50 to 60 percent of these were re-homed, saving the lives of between 2610 and 3132 dogs.

If it were not for the RSPCA's involvement in Council pounds, these dogs would have been euthanased and this strongly supports our continuing involvement.

Another significant benefit of the RSPCA's involvement in pounds, is that it allows us to offer a larger variety of animals for adoption.

I have worked at the Yagoona Shelter and it is falling apart. There is not enough room for the animals and they have tried building a new building but had to stop halfway through because they didnt have enough money.

I don't know where the money is, but personally I don't care - as long as the animals get the space and support they need then that's all that matters to me.

I think they do need to completely redevelop the place because the kennels are so so old. They are concrete blocks (big enough of course), but it definitely needs to be changed. Everything is extremely old. And there arent a ton of staff caring for the animals - thats why they take volunteers... there also arent a lot of people in the media dept as far as i know.

Im all for it to be honest.

All I want are for the animals to be comfortable in their transmissions to new homes. If that means getting 7.5m off the govt then I hope they get it and spend it responsibly. I think the govt spends money on things that arent as important as what they SHOULD be spending money on.

7.5 million would be better spent offering free or low cost desexing to everyone in Sydney rather than spending it on buildings to house cast off animals. For that they could desex at least 35000 animals, even more if the SPCAs own vets did the work, or even using vet students, thus making a real difference to the apparent pet over population problem. Imagine if they only focus on the female animals. 35000+ animals out of the breeding population.

Yagoona shelter has needed renovation for at least 10 years. RSPCA spent a fortune building a new shelter in Rutherford just a few years ago rather than spend money on Yagoona. They knew the government would respond to a "Yagoona will be shut down" threat. So taxpayers are footing the bill so that RSPCA can spend their money in other ways.

They have plenty of resources to take care of the animals they house, they just don't choose to spend their money on the animals. That's what I object to.

Must be an election on:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-election-2...0310-1bpql.html

Doggone it: it's lonely on the hustings Alexandra Smith

March 11, 2011

CATS and dogs and a glamorous swimwear model saved the day for Barry O'Farrell yesterday.

The only time the Opposition Leader managed to inject a little bit of spark in his campaigning was when he announced a Coalition plan to spend $7.5 million on upgrading the dilapidated RSPCA animal shelter at Yagoona.

And that was possibly because he had the model and designer Jodhi Meares, an RSPCA ambassador, by his side.

Mr O'Farrell wandered around the cages of sick and abandoned dogs, cats and even cockatoos at the ageing centre before receiving a round of applause when he committed to doing what Labor wouldn't - fixing the animal shelter.

The 40-year-old centre is so rundown that the ceiling near the operating theatres recently caved in and many of the 800 animals housed at the centre live in outdoor shelters that are falling apart and do not have airconditioning.

''What the RSPCA does is important. It's important … because this is about animal welfare,'' Mr O'Farrell said.

''But it's also important … because of the interaction between pets and owners in so many circumstances.''

The staff cheered, Ms Meares politely clapped and the RSPCA's chief executive, Steven Coleman, beamed.

But it was a very different reception just an hour earlier when Mr O'Farrell arrived at the deathly quiet Ruse Village Shopping Centre, in the seat of Campbelltown, one which the Coalition is desperately trying to win.

Mr O'Farrell and the Liberal candidate Bryan Doyle walked around the suburban centre, with barely a voter in sight. He stopped to pat an enormous dog and then popped in to the butchery to ask about the price of lamb.

Mr O'Farrell was there to stand in front of the Coalition's mobile billboard, opposing the federal government's proposed carbon tax. If he was there to meet constituents, he chose the wrong place.

I hate to say it, I might have to vote Labor in the upcoming State election...

Some of the posts in this thread have some very good options that the RSPCA at Yagoona would possibly benefit from - rather than letting their premises dissolve into dilapidation on the chance that they can put pressure on during a State election.

I have another suggestion for them... instead of euthing animals at the high rates they do, maybe they could start having a better working relationship with the many rescue organisations in Sydney who would be more than glad to take in some of the perfectly rehomable animals that would normally be euthed at Yagoona.

T.

I am a former employee of the RSPCA and the 1st Animal Behavioural Traininer in NSW who has continued to help them save animals that were going to be put down for failing an assessment. All free and with a 100% non-return rate once adopted.

Now all the RULES have changed. I posted a "UTUBE" video with a brief version of some of the crazy things going on behind closed doors. PLEASE look up NATHAN BARNES, RSPCA, dogs etc. I am the video with the long curly hair. Or WWW (dot) savehenry (dot) t35 (dot) com

THANK YOU

Nathan Barnes & Henry the run away dog

p.s. yes I know the video is sideway's I am only good teaching people to speak to animals NOT tech stuff sorry.

New South Wales Primary Industries Minister Steve Whan's office has indicated an announcement could be made soon. I hope Steve also has time to talk to me before they go giving THIS place a blank check. I went to the Head offica of the DPI yesterday with my concerns and evidence of everything I am saying. I love the RSPCA Just not how they run it of the fact that they are not accountable to anybody.....

Ah Ha Nathan,

Seems people are looking to contact you!.

As for me, I dont seem to be able to hear what your saying on the utube tape, would you be able to post a transcript on Facebook please.

As for Yagoona,

Ship the animals up to the Tradewinds pet resort at woodburn NSW that the RSPCA bought and then leased out to a private person/persons.

Its is on the market for 1.8mill, chicken feed really when you consider the huge amount of waste that there is, paying for the higher up admin staff etc.

RSPCA stink, and its never about the lowly workers who try their best.

I am a former employee of the RSPCA and the 1st Animal Behavioural Traininer in NSW who has continued to help them save animals that were going to be put down for failing an assessment. All free and with a 100% non-return rate once adopted.

Now all the RULES have changed. I posted a "UTUBE" video with a brief version of some of the crazy things going on behind closed doors. PLEASE look up NATHAN BARNES, RSPCA, dogs etc. I am the video with the long curly hair. Or WWW (dot) savehenry (dot) t35 (dot) com

THANK YOU

Nathan Barnes & Henry the run away dog

p.s. yes I know the video is sideway's I am only good teaching people to speak to animals NOT tech stuff sorry.

New South Wales Primary Industries Minister Steve Whan's office has indicated an announcement could be made soon. I hope Steve also has time to talk to me before they go giving THIS place a blank check. I went to the Head offica of the DPI yesterday with my concerns and evidence of everything I am saying. I love the RSPCA Just not how they run it of the fact that they are not accountable to anybody.....