What Do You Do With Your Dogs

dandybrush

I was chatting to someone recently and she suggested to me that i crate my dog when i go out.

now this is my situation:

He isnt crate trained fully, has never stayed in there for maybe more than an hr or 2 at a time. whenever we go out he has the run of the backyard and a dog door into the laundry.

Now he isnt escaping or anything, however we have 1 neighbour with a dog and whenever that dog is outside, raz just sits at the fence and watches, sometimes he get the frustrated bark going also. Now when we are home we lock him in the house to stop him doing that, but when we are out there is nothing we can do. Now he can jump the fence and has done, but since setting up the electric fence and zapping him a few times he hasnt been over since.

As some of you may know i'm a MEGA worrier!! my fear is he will get stolen one day, and i think if he was nicely packaged up in a crate...for easy stealing it wouldnt be so good

What i would like to know

1. has anyone had a dog stolen (did you get them back) and where where they stolen from (yard/crate/other?)?

2. where do you put your dogs when you go out? (backyard/house/crate)

3. What is your opinion of us all of a sudden changing raz's routine?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a pen set up for our puppy with kennel, shade, water, toys, etc. But because our house is in view of the main road I'm paranoid someone will see my pup outside and steal him.

he is a koolie, he is desexed

we have a pool style fence with no gate on the front, they would have to jump it to get in, however the gate that leads to the garage is not locked

I'd say Raz's attractiveness for theft is low.

I'd recommend you add a padlock to the gate. It's not a bad idea for a range of reasons. Stops the gate blowing or being bounced open and strangers (good intentioned or not) entering your yard.

Ours are all outside .. but we are miles from anywhere :rofl:

padlock your gate ... It's unlikely your dog would be stolen tho...he is not of a breed used for fighting , he can not be used for breeding ... he's not easily resellable, like a cute li'l fluffy .... :)

ok thanks guys

what about the occassional frustration he gets by the neighbours fence? do you think its nothing to worry about?

A temporary barrier to that fence may break the habit.

I had a barking complaint on my dogs some years back. Changing the offending fence to colourbond (no visual stimulation from neighbours dogs) and jet anti-barking collars for several months deterred the behaviour. Now the neighbours dogs may bark up a storm buy its rare to hear mine join in.

I leave mine outside in the yard if I go out during the day, inside in their crates if I go out in the evening. I have 6ft colourbond fences and make sure they can't be opened from the outside.

Guest Willow

Both mine stay inside when I'm out.

My Staffy is phobic of thunder & the noise of the live firing range, so he will go over or through the fences should any of these thigns startle him. My other dog will nuisnce bark & pee everyone off, so they sleep ing the loungroom.

Staffy boy will damage anything in his path to get to a window if there is thunder, so we leave all the doors inside open, and pull up the blinds, and he seems to be happy (ish) with that.

The German Shepherd is out in the back...let them try to seal him. They'd soon bring him back LOL

The older Cavalier girls are now trustworthy to be left in the family room which has a puppy gate and the 6 month old gets put in a puppy pen.

Both my dogs are inside - but between us, they are not on their own for extended periods of time.

Pup is in a large-ish crate with a couple of kongs or RMB.

Dally has the run of the house with the cats....unless pup has an RMB and then I have to shut the cats out so one particular foster failure kitten doesn't harass pup.

Both dogs have plenty of age appropriate exercise and training on a daily basis so, when I leave the house, they breathe a huge sigh of relief and catch up on some sleep :laugh:

Dog runs. When we are home the dogs are out in the 'big yard' or inside with us, but when we are not they are safe and secure in their own space. We are rural now, but we did the same in town. Depending on your layout you could have run off your laundry so the dog can go in and out still. Portable panels are not expensive these days. Check out Vebopet for instance.

A run means the dog can't fence run the boundary when you are not there and it can be secured with a padlock if necessary. Depending on its positioning it means that neighbours or passers by can not 'interfere' with your dog over the boundary fence (stirring them up, harassing them, throwing things or food over the fence to them etc etc.) If the dog is an escape artist (yours isn't though?) it provides extra security and peace of mind.

Edited by espinay2

Our dogs are all inside/outside dogs when we are home, but when we do go out our 4 dogs are locked into 2 dog runs that we have built(2 dogs in each run ) with a x- large kennel to share & a padlock on each run. :laugh:

We live on a 40 acre rural property & its pretty safe out here, but because 3 of our dogs are not desexed we don't like to take any chances.

Edited by Baileys mum

Espinay and Baileys mum, how big are your dog runs. Just out of interest? :laugh:

OH and I will be building in a year or two on our rural block. We are keen to make a dog friendly back yard that is fenced off from the rest of the property only because the rural fencing wouldn't keep a dog in.