Ideas For 'leave It' Off Lead

OK, I'm a newbie so hopefully this topic hasn't been discussed to death...

I'm looking for ideas to reinforce 'Leave It!' when my dog is running around off lead. He's good in the house, and on lead on walks. But we have been walking with another dog in a researve that is generally safe for dogs. But they manage to come up with dead fish, dead hares, dead whatever. And very reluctant to 'Leave It' or 'Drop It'. So far, bribes to swap the decomposing whatever with a yummy treat hasn't worked. Recalls happen after said disgusting item is swallowed. Besides being pretty gross, especially first thing in the am, I am worried about him eating something dangerous.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Eileen

Do you practice leave it at home? Do you carry extra nice treats when you go on walks? Do you practice recall continuously when walking so your dogs learns that coming to you is quick but includes this extra yummy treat. Like everything you have to practice at home first, then on a long leash when out. Practice makes perfect.

yes i would suggest you practise leave it on a leash while out, just randomly drop some food and tell him to leave it and then lots of rewards then practise it off leash and begin to throw said food and have him still "leaving it"

something i do is i have a cue for you stuffed up now its punishment time. so when i say leave it mostly raz is good but if he wont i start to count to 3, and when i get to 3 i cue him with "too bad" and he goes bak on leash for the rest of the walk, so now he generally "leaves it" when i get to 2 if is something that he really wants to smell/eat

something i do is i have a cue for you stuffed up now its punishment time. so when i say leave it mostly raz is good but if he wont i start to count to 3, and when i get to 3 i cue him with "too bad" and he goes bak on leash for the rest of the walk, so now he generally "leaves it" when i get to 2 if is something that he really wants to smell/eat

Why are you dragging it out so long? You tell a dog once, if he doesnt listed just go get him. Conversely keep dogs that have a good chance of not listening on a long line.

lol i know, i guess i should stop the counting, i like to give him a chance, i've been meaning to eliminate the counting for a while now

just to note raz listens 90% of the time :thumbsup: he is awesome...if i say so myself lol

Edited by dandybrush

bribes to swap the decomposing whatever with a yummy treat hasn't worked.

Practice, practice, practice, practice EVERY day ..on leash ,and at home .many times.

I wpuld also be using a light plastic BASKET muzzle .. like the one HERE

You are wise- worrying about him eating something dangerous ... and if he is so keen, I would be muzzling him .. or always walking on a long lead ...

lol i know, i guess i should stop the counting, i like to give him a chance, i've been meaning to eliminate the counting for a while now

But you are giving him a chance ...

RAZZLE ... COME!!!

doesnt comply

go get him

- he was asked to comply, and then he either listened to your command or he didnt. Problem is with counting you then condition the dog to wait until you get to 2. He probably now thinks that you're not really serious about his recall until you reach the 2 command, which can be a disaster later on when you need him to listen and listen now.

A bit like parents of naughty spoilt kids...1,...2,...2 and a half,....2 and three quarters.... :cry: Agree with the recall scenario :) Funny how dogs understand the NOW command!!!!

RAZZLE ... COME!!!

doesnt comply

go get him

- he was asked to comply, and then he either listened to your command or he didnt. Problem is with counting you then condition the dog to wait until you get to 2. He probably now thinks that you're not really serious about his recall until you reach the 2 command, which can be a disaster later on when you need him to listen and listen now.

A bit like parents of naughty spoilt kids...1,...2,...2 and a half,....2 and three quarters.... :) Agree with the recall scenario :D Funny how dogs understand the NOW command!!!!

RAZZLE ... COME!!!

doesnt comply

go get him

haha...my male dog was like that...I think it was the way I said 'nooooowwwww' in the lowest tone possible.

my deaf dog would get her hand signal and if she didnt comply I think I subconciously conditioned her to the hands on the hips was her version of 'noooowww' :cry:

I use 'drop it' for dropping what is already in his mouth. His reward is usually to get the object back, so I say drop it, he drops object, he gets a treat or a scratch, then he gets the object back. So he's much more inclined to drop the object, because he knows he doesn't ALWAYS lose it.

Leave it is for stuff he's just looking at or moving towards, things he can never have. Once I have told him to leave something, it means 'don't ever touch it, ever', so I wouldn't use that to practice with toys etc.. If it's something really smelly it's better to get him before he picks it up.

So I would work on 'drop it' and let him get it back most of the time. Then when you do need him to drop something, he will do it because he thinks he's getting it back. Then you can remove the dog or remove the yucky thing and be on your way. It will still work, because most of the time he gets the object back.

Edited by fuzzy82

haha...my male dog was like that...I think it was the way I said 'nooooowwwww' in the lowest tone possible.

Yes, I think this goes in the book of "Universally understood words". My boy also understands and responds to my cocked eye-brow, which is generally accompanied with a "I don't think so" look from me.

Yes, I think this goes in the book of "Universally understood words". My boy also understands and responds to my cocked eye-brow, which is generally accompanied with a "I don't think so" look from me.

I think I have the same look that I use on Charlie. He knows exactly what I mean when I give him the LOOK...

Recall

C'MONNN

Dog looks up, Yikes, the boss is running away, arrRRRRRGGGHHHH, dog runs back to mum at full speed!

I call her and if she's not coming back, I run. I'm getting quite fit. She gets treats when she does come back but we don't practice quite often enough for it to be automatic without thinking. However the cue of me running away is. Occaisonally doesn't work as planned if she decides someone else in the vicinity is me, ie same colour shirt on or something. She gets a hell of a shock when she gets to them and finds out they're not me...

Haha, I used to think that.