Charity Donation *no Pet Hair!*

LizT

Ring your local op-shops they will usually be very appreciative of any donations or better still check with some of the local churches.

I don't bother with well known charities after experiencing the over picky nature of those collecting goods and witnessing the distribution of goods from a donated house going to employees of the charity and not being passed to those in need.

I phone the Australian Refugee Associaton - in Adelaide, they're not nearly as fussy as the well known charity op shop people.

Stuff must be clean and functional but it's going directly to homes to people who have nothing, not for sale in second hand shops. They generally won't take bed mattresses, but they took the one I had which had been barely used, unstained and lived on the spare bed ie nobody slept there on a regular basis.

They made it really easy for me to donate stuff. Came and got it with their own truck. And they're all volunteers. If they didn't want it, the stuff was going to the dump, sadly.

http://www.ausref.net/cms/

There are probably similar organisations in your state, that they can put you in touch with.

Great suggestion. We donated a full house contents to a similar cause last year - a local school put us in touch with a recently arrived family who had found accommodation but had very little otherwise. OH and his brother helped transport everything to their house so it certainly wasn't a ruse for easy disposal on our part.

Well the suite went out at 8.20 am at 2.30 pm some bloke has asked if he could take the couch for his poolroom. New home found. LOL

The couch has been taken. And the bike. :rofl:

Well the suite went out at 8.20 am at 2.30 pm some bloke has asked if he could take the couch for his poolroom. New home found. LOL

The couch has been taken. And the bike. :)

:rofl: :D :eek:

:clap:

I think though, that I might look into Freecycle for the cot and cradle. They are too nice to put out on the roadside.

Edited by LizT

A girl I know used to volunteer at a large well known charity. She sorted the clothes and would pick and chose what she wanted. She used to get a garbage bag full for $2. There were some expensive clothing items that she scored through that. She would hand them out to her friends all the time.

She actually volunteered just so she could get the freebies.

I'm another vote for Freecycle, I've found homes for furniture and an old but working vaccum cleaner that way, and gained an old but working freezer to store meat for my dogs. I don't bother with the big charities anymore, but small items go direct to my local op shop. It's community-based and seems happy to take small items.