Is It Enough?

redangel

Article here

Was the sentence so because by having the dogs off the lead they were all not in suitable control by their owners? Do you think that being declared a DD is sufficient when an animal has died? Information is sketchy in this article will investigate further...

Edit add link

Edited by redangel

The court heard Ms Toomey's dogs, a labrador-mastiff and a vizla-weimaraner, were generally good natured and had not been involved in any previous violent incidents.

Given the information in the report - then yes I believe having the dogs declared DD is enough.

It doesn't appear that the dogs have any history of being agressive. I don't see how destroying the dog is going to bring Gemma back and the restrictions on the dogs now they are declared DD will prevent them from bring off-leash in public again so if the owner is a responsible owner then it won't happen again.

I agree with a system where a dog can be decalred Dangerous after an offence.

A dog and owner should get one last chance. What if the behaviour is out of character?

If a Dangerous dog is kept in the correct manner, it isn't a danger to anyone. It is quite onerous keeping a Dangerous Dog with all that entails. If people are prepared to step up to that and make the effort, I don't have a problem.

We can't be sure if that article was really about a dog attack or a dog fight.

Absolutely, one sided, there Is a lot more that happened both at the actual alleged attack and much much more afterwards In how things were handled, why didn't the Sun actual print what was said by the magistrate at court I wonder :love:

Not enough info in the article to make a judgement call really... only have one side of the equation...

T.

I doubt very much that a woman would have total control over 2 large dogs, it would be hard to walk them on the lead together I would imagine so perhaps she chose the easy option of going to a park with them rather than getting them properly trained so that she had total control over them at all times.

There are far too many careless owners about that don't have their dogs under any form of control and just let them go in dog parks. Many people also stand there and do nothing when their dog attacks.

IN this situation, I would prefer that these two dogs were euthanased and the owner banned from owning any more dogs.

Dogs don't just kill each other, dogs can have scraps and nobody dies. Killing another dog is entirely unacceptable behaviour in my opinion and if one of my own dogs did this, they would be straight to the vet and that would be that.

Maybe if your dog died in this manner, you might change your mind on what is acceptable punishment.

Edited by dogmad

I doubt very much that a woman would have total control over 2 large dogs, it would be hard to walk them on the lead together I would imagine so perhaps she chose the easy option of going to a park with them rather than getting them properly trained so that she had total control over them at all times.

There are far too many careless owners about that don't have their dogs under any form of control and just let them go in dog parks. Many people also stand there and do nothing when their dog attacks.

IN this situation, I would prefer that these two dogs were euthanased and the owner banned from owning any more dogs.

Dogs don't just kill each other, dogs can have scraps and nobody dies. Killing another dog is entirely unacceptable behaviour in my opinion and if one of my own dogs did this, they would be straight to the vet and that would be that.

Maybe if your dog died in this manner, you might change your mind on what is acceptable punishment.

You have absolutely no Idea of what happened, how can you make that call???

I agree with dogmad on this one,If my Shelley did this to another dog she would be straight down to the vet and put to sleep. But in saying that Shelley is mainly walked offlead as i have full control over her. She ignores other dogs and people, If other people come up to her then yes she is fine will want pats. With other dogs she will not go near and if they come towards her she returns to my side. Shelley is really well behaved, if the other dog is bulling her she puts the bristles up and thats it. She also stays right beside me in those situations. Shelley leaves it up to me to get the other dog away,If it doesn't go away i just keep on walking and it soon loses interest. Couple of days ago Shelley and I were at the oval they had footy training Shelley was offlead happly doing her own thing, Ignoring everyone there. Shelley even had kids runing past her and she didn't move a musscle. I heard 2 adults talking one seemed worried about Shelley being offlead,Then the other said i wouldn't worry the dog seems well trained which she is.

I know its a risk having Shelley offlead as anything can happen, But i like to see Shelley runing around and enjoying herself. I don't have any problems keeping Shelley under control offlead she listens to any command i give her. If i see another dog i call Shelley back to me and she comes, I get Shelley to walk in heel while saying ignore. Once the dog has past i let Shelley go off again.

All i can say is this lady has no control over her dogs if she did the fight wouldn't have happened. But in saying that both owners are to blame really, The owner of gemma should have calledhis/her dogs. I do not let Shelley go near other dogs i do not know specially offlead. If the other owners what the dogs to greet they meet onlead first to see how they react to one another. If there really good together showing no signs of aggerssion then we let them offlead to play. You can never be totally sure what the other dogs personality is like which is why its best to introduce the dogs onlead at first that way you can control your dog if something did go to happen.

I agree with RnB, how can anyone make a judgment on what should happen to the dogs without knowing all the facts of the case?

How does anyone here know if the dog that died didn't start something first? I wonder if she would have died had it been a fight between her and one dog rather than two?

I think being declared dangerous is the right outcome for two dogs that have never been involved in an incident before.

I'm with RottnBullies on this one... I really don't think the entire story has been proffered here, so none of us could have any idea what really happened, much less make a judgement call to say if any of the dogs should be euthanaised. The court heard the evidence and made a judgement - that's what they do...

T.

In my opinion you take the dog to the dog park, let him off the leash, you cop it on the chin what happens, because you can not predict how somebody elses dog behave. So best not to go to the dog park at all for better chance at keeping the dogs safe. Nobody win at the dog park, if the dog cant fight you dog may die. If he can fight, you get him put to sleep or go to jail, so what is the point of going in the first place when nobody win?

Joe

How about the real story?

How can the owner sue for civil action when he did not see the fight?? Mr Anderson did not see

Any fight between any dogs swimming in the dam.

Why didn’t the reporter print what the magistrate stated he was in the court room, he heard the Magistrates

Comments??

Shame on the Councils and reporter for printing such rubbish.

Who are you to judge Dogmad do you honestly believe newspaper reports??

tybrax

Edited by tybrax