Tracking Collars For Companion Pets

sas

Saw this on FB, now available at World for Pets: Would you buy one?

http://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/pr...ail.asp?ID=4877

w-collar.jpg

TrakaPet-GPS Animal Tracking System</H2>by DDSLIs your cat Queen Bee of the neighbourhood and constantly out roaming the town? Or perhaps you have a dog that is an escape artist and if given one, could get out of a straight jacket?

Then you absolutely need the TrakaPet GPS Animal Tracking System.

The TrakaPet GPS Animal Tracking System is the most innovative pet tracking technology on the market. It allows you to locate your pet with a simple text message.

Simply insert an active sim card into the TrakaPet device and when you text the letter "C" to the device, it will reply with a link to an accurate Google Maps street address. It is recommended that you have a smartphone for use of this device (to quickly access google maps), and an active sim card.

You can even preset a "safe zone" so that if your pet passes the parameters of the safe zone you will receive an sms informing you.

This unit is small and compact 45 mm x 34.5 mm x 21 mm, it comes with a bonus waterproof case that easily attaches to your pet's collar or harness (Collar not included). It also comes with a USB computer cable and a comprehensive instruction manual.

Please be aware that colours of the unit may vary.

For more information click here.

Prices below include all discounts and current specials. AT4000 AU $269.00US $271.47 lots of stock Australia only 2x AT4000 AU $495.00US $499.55 lots of stock Australia only

Edited by MEH

That doesn't interest me as I feel it could fall off too easily, or be taken off. What I would be interested in though is like a GPS tracking chip instead. That I would buy. I worry more about Kyojin being stolen or let out by some moron ignoring the signs on my front door rather than just him escaping himself.

That doesn't interest me as I feel it could fall off too easily, or be taken off. What I would be interested in though is like a GPS tracking chip instead. That I would buy. I worry more about Kyojin being stolen or let out by some moron ignoring the signs on my front door rather than just him escaping himself.

I guess it will come eventually but the problem is that current chips are 'benign' they are only activated by the transponder. Chips that need tracking need a battery and that would need to be replaced in time.

At that price and for my situation at this time - no.

However I think it is a great idea and yes I suppose if your pet was stolen they could just remove it, but at least this early they probably wouldn't know what it was.

If I took dogs running through bush and forrests yep definately, if I had a dog who was a bit of an escape artist, yep definately. Mine would have to get off the lounge to get lost!

I also have very secure dog yards.

I hike with my dogs a lot, I think it's a great idea. I've only lost one of my dogs once, and I believe (from his injuries when I found him) that he fell off a ledge or became trapped somewhere. Previously this sort of system has been much more expensive and, as I was lead to believe, illegal in this country so I didn't ever invest in one. I will definitely look further into this.

As an anti-theft device? Agree with MrsRB!

This device will be a waste on my 2... even if we go camping or hiking. Charlie is too slow to run off and Emmy is never far from me or Charlie.

But it will be great if I had an escape artist though.

For a pet dog no.

An escape artist needs a secure run not a collar. There's also the risk of the collar being stolen/removed, lost caught in things, injuring or even strangling the dog.

Sure it could have a lock or something on it to prevent the collar from being removed/lost/stolen. Wouldn't stop someone from cutting it off though. And God forbid the dog hung itself on a fence.

I also think that if something like that becomes widely available and affordable then you will find people will be even less concerned about letting their dog wander - they know where they are right, so it's all fine.

Then there are the practical issues; battery life, time to charge, safety (your pet is wearing the equivalent of an antenna/mobile phone 24/7), cost.

I didn't quite understand whether you must buy a sim card for the collar itself? - So does that mean you'd need to keep it current/topped up? Would there need to be credit on the card and how much?

I see some pros, but a LOT of cons......

There are already GPS type devices available for hunting dogs.

Wouldn't buy one. When Spence is outside the house/yard he's with me on leash. And if I was concerned about him escaping the yard, I'd rather spend the $269 dog proofing the yard or building a run.