Facebook Buy Swap And Sell Sites

To the, I presume sarcastic (with 22,000 posts what else could it be)

":confused::confused: a what?????", you read correctly, I said AKITA INU You've not heard of them :rofl: You know, they're the big fluffy ones with curly tails, the national dog of Japan, the dog that sat at the train station every day after his Professor owner died & now there's a statute of him, the ones the Japanese used for hunting wild bear & boars, the very same ones that only royalty was allowed to own for 100's years, and, even to this day if you become unemployed &/or broke the Govt. will take the dog and feed/maintain it for you whilst you starve, Hellen Keller and all that stuff. Yes, that's the one, the AKITA INU. See here for more detail: http://www.google.co...cDMmSiQew0LmxDg

I beg your pardon?You presume wrong. What a nasty piece of work you are. See those curly things... ? that's a question mark. It was a question. But, you're right. I'd never heard them called that.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Later in life, I'm older, more tired and somewhat poorer than I used to be and have 5 x BYB dogs. Why? Because no way on god's green earth was I inclined to spend $1.5k each on a COMPANION - 3 of these are purebreds and $350ea each is a darn site easier to find! I've had them ALL health checked, m.chipped, immunised AND desexed (or they will be ASAP once we know if they're going to retain baby teeth or not, so they will be removed under same anaesthetic).

If you were after a X bred companion and you are so worried about cost, why didn't you just adopt from the pound? :o

That way you would of not only saved your pennies, but saved a life aswell.

You may not want to fork out $1k+ for a companion, but I did. :D And to me, she is priceless. Worth every single cent AND some.

There are no garentee's in life. Just because your pups may of passed their health checks now, that's not to say something won't go wrong later on down the track. I take it their still only young if you're waiting to see if they retain their baby teeth or not.

Please don't anyone try and tell me that BYBs are OK and breeding sound dogs.

One of the broadest, most incorrect generalisations I've ever read ... I've got 3 sat here playing with me right now that are in perfect health and soundness, three for less than the price of one, three times the love and joy!

3 for less than the price of 1? you make them sound like material items and not living beings. :(

Just because your 3 are sitting there now in perfect health and soundness, doesn't mean they are garenteed to stay that way forever.

I had a sibe boy that started off healthy & sound. It wasn't until he was 6 that he was diagnosed with an immune disease. Twelve months later he passed on due to complications. :(

Isn't it funny how some people can get so defensive and go on the attack when they are not agreed with?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but that doesn't mean that those hearing it have to agree with it. And just because one person may have had certain experiences with THEIR choices of dogs, doesn't mean that everyone is going to make those same choices or have those same types of problems... some of which MAY have had environmental causes despite the amount of vigilance cited by their owner.

Sure, shit happens despite the amount of care we put into the selection and raising of our dogs - but to tag ALL registered breeders as producing inferior animals due to some issues YOU have had with YOUR selections of same is a little bit off the mark IMHO.

Personally I'm a mutt lover - I love guessing what my dogs have in their breed mix... *grin*

That said - I'd give my left boobie for one of the pups my registered breeder friend has due at the end of next month...

T.

If you were after a X bred companion and you are so worried about cost, why didn't you just adopt from the pound? :o

You may not want to fork out $1k+ for a companion, but I did. :D And to me, she is priceless. Worth every single cent AND some.

There are no garentee's in life. Just because your pups may of passed their health checks now, that's not to say something won't go wrong later on down the track. I take it their still only young if you're waiting to see if they retain their baby teeth or not.

k9angel, Hi. I wasn't after x-breds, I was after a trio of purebreds, which is what I was lucky enough to buy.

When I said, "3 for less than the price of 1", that was very tongue in cheek. I mean the $k's saved enabled me to cover all desexing, chipping, booster car carriers, crates, a Dehydrator for making their treats, a Mincer for prepping their human grade raw meat/veg, and to buy ZiwiPeak, way, way into the future.

So, as you can see, definitely not "material things" at all, rather, much loved, exquisite, well behaved, beautifully adjusted family members that will undoubtedly be my last in this lifetime due to our respective life spans. The perfect way to round off a life that has never been without top dogs, multiple champion show horses & exotic parrots that cost as much as a house deposit.

Sorry to hear about your Sibe, it must've been devastating for you - a pedigree, immunised annually? I'll be running with annual or bi-annual Titers Tests in an effort to stave off any future issues from that quarter. Should anything crop up, they're in the safe, caring hands of a Uni Prof Vet.

Just as an aside :)

I will never microchip any of my dogs as I have no need too

Any vet worth their salt knows their patients must be microchipped in accordance with the law. I find it concerning that your apparent, highly esteemed veterinarian has been lax with this. You are also breaking the law by not registering your pets with local council (which imposes hefty fines).

Food for thought :)

To the, I presume sarcastic (with 22,000 posts what else could it be)

":confused::confused: a what?????", you read correctly, I said AKITA INU You've not heard of them :rofl: You know, they're the big fluffy ones with curly tails, the national dog of Japan, the dog that sat at the train station every day after his Professor owner died & now there's a statute of him, the ones the Japanese used for hunting wild bear & boars, the very same ones that only royalty was allowed to own for 100's years, and, even to this day if you become unemployed &/or broke the Govt. will take the dog and feed/maintain it for you whilst you starve, Hellen Keller and all that stuff. Yes, that's the one, the AKITA INU. See here for more detail: http://www.google.co...cDMmSiQew0LmxDg

I beg your pardon?You presume wrong. What a nasty piece of work you are. See those curly things... ? that's a question mark. It was a question. But, you're right. I'd never heard them called that.

The americanised Akita, which I believe what is shown here in Australia is Known only as the Akita and is shown under that name. It is the Japanese version that is called the Akita Inu- they are shown under "Akita" in some countries but I think others may be classified as a separate breed "Akita Inu". They do actually look quite different IMO but I must say if you want to talk to people that do know the difference head over the the Akita thread- which is where I got this info from :thumbsup:

As far as I know the Akita Inu is exceptionally rare here in Australia thus the reason why people have not heard of them before. I wouldn't judge someone for not knowing a variant of my breed when it is so rare- I am not sure but I also think the movie Hatchi shows an Akita rather than an Akita Inu but I was too busy crying by the end to remember.

Sorry to go OT

Edited by Jumabaar

k9angel, Hi. I wasn't after x-breds, I was after a trio of purebreds, which is what I was lucky enough to buy.

When I said, "3 for less than the price of 1", that was very tongue in cheek. I mean the $k's saved enabled me to cover all desexing, chipping, booster car carriers, crates, a Dehydrator for making their treats, a Mincer for prepping their human grade raw meat/veg, and to buy ZiwiPeak, way, way into the future.

So, as you can see, definitely not "material things" at all, rather, much loved, exquisite, well behaved, beautifully adjusted family members that will undoubtedly be my last in this lifetime due to our respective life spans. The perfect way to round off a life that has never been without top dogs, multiple champion show horses & exotic parrots that cost as much as a house deposit.

Sorry to hear about your Sibe, it must've been devastating for you - a pedigree, immunised annually? I'll be running with annual or bi-annual Titers Tests in an effort to stave off any future issues from that quarter. Should anything crop up, they're in the safe, caring hands of a Uni Prof Vet.

Yes it was devastating. And no, he was not vaccinated annually.

I have to ask wtf is wrong with some people's powers of comprehension here. "Dislikes purebred dogs and has contempt for their breeders", what a load of old bollocks - when I went to school we were taught reading & comprehension, perhaps that's not included in today's curriculum but, nonetheless, it's not a difficult thing to read the written word & understand it if you really put your mind to it. All I have ever said is that in my personal experience I've never had an ounce of trouble with non-reg'd bred dogs I've purchased, but have had a great deal of health issues with expensive reg'd dogs I've bought over the years.

I pointed out to you that you were indeed talking from the position of your own decision-making re the purebred dogs that you'd bought.

I also pointed out that my decision-making on acquiring our purebred companion dogs resulted in our owning dogs noteworthy for their health and temperament. (And having gained noteworthiness in the show-ring by becoming Australian Champions).

Which means that the dependent variable is the nature of the buyer's decision-making, not the fact that both sets of dogs have been purebred.

You then extended your case to purebred dogs.....as a group....saying, hypothetically , that you would not buy a purebred dog, when you're older & more tired.....because of invariable high costs and health temperament problems.

I pointed out to you that I have adopted purebred companion dogs who shaped up extremely well re health and temperament. As for cost....I had to make the registered breeder actually take money. And these dogs came from top breeders.....have you owned one whose close relative won at Cruft's.....the world's most prestigious dog show?

BTW, I also happen to be older (retired) & a bit more tired than I used to be!

I'd strongly suggest you move away from making generalisations about purebred companion dogs.....as a group. And move to analyzing what you understand and look for, when making your decisions about acquiring one.

TMDL, i just noticed you said you detect 'elitist' values about dogs in the replies to you.

The registered breeder we first applied to for a p/b dog was influenced by the fact we owned a little rescued mixed breed dog who'd been thrown from a car as a puppy. She was our loved housedog for 22 yrs....eventually called 'Grandma'.

After that breeder brought us a lovely 3 yr old p/b girl, she showed us her prizes, which included winning Best Puppy in entire Royal Show. She'd decided the little p/b had done her bit for her breed & now deserved a good pet home for the rest of her life.

It was the fact that Grandma, a mixed breed dog, had been so well cared for, that made up her mind that we were fine for her prize-winning p/b. Her view was that it was love & care of dogs in a home that counted....whatever they were, mixed or purebred. Obviously, it's mine, too.

BTW, the price this registered breeder asked? Her words, 'Whatever you can afford. It's the good home I want.'

Not surprisingly.....she got more than she expected. The quality of her breeding, raising & care for her dog's welfare was what counted, for me.

Edited by mita