Facebook Buy Swap And Sell Sites

Usually the last thing owners think about is getting their money back or a replacement pup once they've bonded with the unsound dog they ended up with, they simply focus on the dog and go to the ends of the earth and many $k's to fix whatever problem has arisen. I know in my case, I never bothered to go back to the breeders myself because I didn't give a rat's about the $'s lost, just the piece of my heart.

Its not just about the money its about informing the breeder. If the breeder doesn't know they have bred a dog with a genetic disease they think they will be fine to keep breeding from the same lines.

I contacted the breeder as my vet told me Cali would've had parvo up to 1 week before I got her. I didn't know her usual behaviour but her breeder did. She was a puppy taken away from all that she knew and in extreme agony to boot. He still had two of her litter mates left and who even knows if Calli's parents where immunised. He was a neglectful bastard and the RSPCA agreed when I rung them. Id just like to see his face when they come knocking on his door.

And to that Gemini person (If your stil reading). Do you ever go into pounds? The majority are cross breds and the actual (not BYB purebred) pure bred dogs that are dumped there are usualy there because thier owners put them there without telling the breeder first. Most ethical registerd breeders keep their name and number as a secondary contact on there pups micro chip so they find out if something like that happens. Ethical breeders do back yard checks and get people to sign contracts so there pups don't end up dying "with their head in a bowl" yes it can still happen but at least they take measures to try and ensure that it won't. You hand them over willingly to the first person who turns up with $. Theres the difference for you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't anyone try and tell me that BYBs are OK and breeding sound dogs.

One of the broadest, most incorrect generalisations I've ever read ... I've got 3 sat here playing with me right now that are in perfect health and soundness, three for less than the price of one, three times the love and joy!

I've had champion bred show stock all my life, they all scooped the pools in their puppy classes but, alas, all too soon the fully health tested, immaculately bred from supreme bloodlines, high falootin', who's up who & who's not paying the rent famous pups found their way to vet surgeries to finally be PTS despite all best efforts - 2 for hips (different breeders) and an Akita Inu for a congenital nerve condition that saw him having bouts of being completely paralysed. Oh and lets not forget his plethora of allergies and temperament issues (one of the breeder's Imp stud dogs tried to kill him) - $4k to buy him and probably just as much again, if not more, spent in trying to save him. Was the breeder interested in compensation, another pup, contribution towards vet bills? Not on your bloody life they weren't!!! They're the 3 cases that immediately spring to mind.

All I'm saying is, buying any dog is the luck of the draw (having a good eye, commonsense, some knowledge and intuition goes a long, long way) and there's lots of factors that come in to it, not the least of which is nature and environment.

I appreciate and understand that this is a pedigree dog forum and breeders are all dedicated to trying to do the right thing. However, there are none so blind as those who won't see, and narrow-mindedness, self-righteousness and relying on health tests as though they're some sort of gospel is just pure, unadulterated BS that all amounts to nothing when the shit hits the fan. ALL any buyer can hope for is the best of luck, be it their beloved pet comes from a reg'd breeder, a BYB or the gutter - my personal experience is that I've never had an ounce of trouble from my rescues or BYB, whereas ALL my issues, heartache, pain and expense have been incurred by pedigreed show dogs. That is all.

All I'm saying is, buying any dog is the luck of the draw (having a good eye, commonsense, some knowledge and intuition goes a long, long way) and there's lots of factors that come in to it, not the least of which is nature and environment.

I agree with you there. Shit happens some times and can happen no matter who you get your dog from. Health checks are not 100% guranteed but are better than nothing. However the next pup I get will be registerd and I will ask for all of the documentation of the health checks, vaccinations etc because not all registerd breeders are ethical breeders.

It is still horrible to sell animals like they are white goods. I've seen dogs adverised on gumtree who's price was negotaible or will swap for an item of eqaul value. Or even pet stores who have puppies on sale for half price.

One of the broadest, most incorrect generalisations I've ever read ... I've got 3 sat here playing with me right now that are in perfect health and soundness, three for less than the price of one, three times the love and joy!

I've had champion bred show stock all my life, they all scooped the pools in their puppy classes but, alas, all too soon the fully health tested, immaculately bred from supreme bloodlines, high falootin', who's up who & who's not paying the rent famous pups found their way to vet surgeries to finally be PTS despite all best efforts - 2 for hips (different breeders) and an Akita Inu for a congenital nerve condition that saw him having bouts of being completely paralysed. Oh and lets not forget his plethora of allergies and temperament issues (one of the breeder's Imp stud dogs tried to kill him) - $4k to buy him and probably just as much again, if not more, spent in trying to save him. Was the breeder interested in compensation, another pup, contribution towards vet bills? Not on your bloody life they weren't!!! They're the 3 cases that immediately spring to mind.

I appreciate and understand that this is a pedigree dog forum and breeders are all dedicated to trying to do the right thing. However, there are none so blind as those who won't see, and narrow-mindedness, self-righteousness and relying on health tests as though they're some sort of gospel is just pure, unadulterated BS that all amounts to nothing when the shit hits the fan. ALL any buyer can hope for is the best of luck, be it their beloved pet comes from a reg'd breeder, a BYB or the gutter - my personal experience is that I've never had an ounce of trouble from my rescues or BYB, whereas ALL my issues, heartache, pain and expense have been incurred by pedigreed show dogs. That is all.

If you dislike pedigree dogs and their breeders that much, I wonder at you being on a pedigree dog forum.

If you dislike pedigree dogs and their breeders that much, I wonder at you being on a pedigree dog forum.

LMFAO, what a puerile, ridiculous statement to make. What part of my posts were you unable to comprehend that caused you to arrive at that conclusion petal?

I agree with Sheridan. Why would someone who obviously dislikes purebred dogs and has only contempt for their breeders visit a purebred forum? I cannot see any purpose, unless it is to complain about purebred dogs - which is what you have been doing.

Anyone breeding dogs, no matter what sort, who does not know the correct name of the breed, and who cannot spell simple words which are common to dog breeding and ownership, is signalling to everyone else that you know nothing.

And they are seeking to make money off something they know nothing about, and which they probably should not be breeding.

I wouldn't ring up anyone who advertised if they had the name of the breed wrong!!

Lyss, your pup contracted parvo more easily because it was not in good condition, having so many worms, and who knows what she had been fed, and because she was not vaccinated, and no doubt the mother was not vaccinated either, so there was no maternal immunity to pass on. And of course, not in top condition, so not enough stamina to fight.

I am so sorry for you, that is heartbreaking. Poor little puppy. Owning a puppy should be a joyful experience, so difficult when it is a heartbreak.

It costs $18 for a bottle of Drontal puppy syrup, which bumps off quite a few worms. Why would any breeder not worm pups? Because they didn't know, or only cared about the money.

But, I think you would have a case for fair trading. If the puppy died within a short time of purchase, and the vet is willing to write a statement saying that it had parvo when you got it, you may find that the pup was "not suitable for the purpose intended" and the seller will be ordered to refund your money.

I never read those ads, but why not complain to the government department which is responsible for microchipping? And to the RSPCA if pups are being sold u.8 weeks? That may achieve better results than complaining to the owner.

MadDogLady - a survey between cross and purebred dogs was done overseas. Sweden? Scandinadia? Purebreds came out better than cross breds.

Fact is, some dogs are healthy, some are not. Good genetics, good food, good housing and good husbandry lets them start off right, then good ownership keeps them that way. Plenty of polygenic conditions are exacerbated by wrong care, exercise and food.

Edited by Jed

But, I think you would have a case for fair trading. If the puppy died within a short time of purchase, and the vet is willing to write a statement saying that it had parvo when you got it, you may find that the pup was "not suitable for the purpose intended" and the seller will be ordered to refund your money.

I never read those ads, but why not complain to the government department which is responsible for microchipping? And to the RSPCA if pups are being sold u.8 weeks? That may achieve better results than complaining to the owner.

She was 9 weeks old. I reported him to the RSPCA by phoning the head office in sydney and then emailing them a formal statement which had everything I knew about the breeder including statements from my vet and their number. I also contacted the council and informed them he was selling puppies unmicrochipped and unvaccinated. I didn't think about fair trading. I never rung the breeder up complaining and whining like a idiot child I gave him the chance to be a decent human being (I know theres no excuse for ignorance but not everything is in a persons control). I'll admit I was an idiot and made a stupid, stupid mistake but I did everything in my power and knowledge to stop the breeder from doing this again.

LMFAO, what a puerile, ridiculous statement to make. What part of my posts were you unable to comprehend that caused you to arrive at that conclusion petal?

The parts above where you complain about the poor pedigree dogs you've had and how the rescues and BYB bred dogs you've had are so much better. It wasn't a difficult conclusion to arrive at especially since you jumped in to defend BYBs after Dogmad's post.

Later in life, I'm older, more tired and somewhat poorer than I used to be and have 5 x BYB dogs. Why? Because no way on god's green earth was I inclined to spend $1.5k each on a COMPANION - ....

When I sit here and think about the many, many $1k's spent (in fixing never mind buying) and anguish suffered in over 4 decades of dog ownership, all of the health issues and temperament problems can be attributed to trying to repair those finely line bred animals who all came from various top, top kennels (and I happen to know I'm not the only one who suffered issues/problems). Far, far too many had to be PTS.

I don't mean to be rude, but your dog-owning story, tells more about your particular decisions about buying dogs, than it tells about purebred dogs as a group.. What's this about crossing off buying a purebred dog as a companion because of the cost of $1.5k?

And what's this about invariable worst health & temperament issues?

I researched very carefully when getting our purebred dogs as companions. I elected to adopt adult dogs from registered breeders (starting with a 3 yr old). I applied to adopt, giving our history as pet owners, providing references and showing the lifestyle the dog would have.

In every case, I've got a beautiful purebred companion dog...an Aus Champion (then desexed). In most cases, I've had to insist on paying the breeder.....who only wanted the very best homes for her dogs. She didn't want any money. By golly, she was sent the fair amount of money she deserves!

Temperaments? Outstanding. Ask all who meet these dogs. Health? One got to age 14 yrs and never, ever had an illness in her life. Another got to 15 yrs with same 'clean' health history. My present 11 yr old girl, is shaping up the same.

My other one is younger & was imported from Sweden by an Australian breeder. At the last Cruft's Dog Show in London, my dog's relative won Best of Breed. That Swedish breeder has a statement on her website about what showing/breeding means to her. And she starts off with health & temperament....then conformation....&, most importantly, raising her puppies so they'll have every chance of having a good life in a good home. Well, I've got the proof, in her dog that I now own. How's that for coming from a top breeder! And I had to insist the Australian breeder take money for her.

Edited by mita

Hmmm... I'm wondering about 2 different pedigreed dogs from 2 different registered breeders both succumbing to HD bad enough to warrant euthanasia... personally, I'd be looking at environmental reasons before writing off registered breeders...

Jed has the right of it here...

Good genetics, good food, good housing and good husbandry lets them start off right, then good ownership keeps them that way.

T.

Just about to look through this thread but has anyone seen or able to keep an eye out for pug puppies in Broadmeadows Vic? They are from a bitch I bred 2 yrs ago, this is her 2nd litter, she was sold on limited rego with a desex contract. They will ready for sale any time from now on, I have been looking for ages and this is another place that they could be advertised on.

Owner has lied about breeding her and told my lawyer that she has ran away last year - I know for fact that he has her and the pups are around 7 weeks old now.

Edited by Andisa

How about ....

none so blind as those who won't see, and narrow-mindedness, self-righteousness and relying on health tests as though they're some sort of gospel is just pure, unadulterated BS that all amounts to nothing when the shit hits the fan

:confused: you're in a purebred dog forum. It's the rescue section so you won't get any arguments about how great our muttleys are but spitting on pedigree will get you nowhere. And belittling a highly esteemed rescuer who has seen the very worst of BYB is just exactly what you call: narrow minded. :mad

Fact is, BYB/accidental/puppyfarm/&just-one-litter or even "pure without papers" outnumber pedigree in the pounds,

and in rescue

and on the PTS lists.

And as an added bonus BYB can get just as horrendously ill, I have the bills to prove it.

Sorry but they are all dogs, they all have the potential to be unhealthy. Don't heap rubbish on people that are at least trying to avoid problems by running these apparently useless health tests or watching their breeding program for issues.

Thank you dogmad and ditto...

I have to ask wtf is wrong with some people's powers of comprehension here. "Dislikes purebred dogs and has contempt for their breeders", what a load of old bollocks - when I went to school we were taught reading & comprehension, perhaps that's not included in today's curriculum but, nonetheless, it's not a difficult thing to read the written word & understand it if you really put your mind to it. All I have ever said is that in my personal experience I've never had an ounce of trouble with non-reg'd bred dogs I've purchased, but have had a great deal of health issues with expensive reg'd dogs I've bought over the years. HTF does that translate to disliking p/breds & their breeders lfmao.

Some of my best companion and show dogs have been purebreds from wonderful breeders i.e. a magnificent Golden Retriever from Hope George in S.A. whom I am sure would be resting in peace by now, and several others besides. In answer to all your queries and innuendos about why am I on a purebred forum when I currently only have mongrels - ummm, let me see ... umm, err, that's such a hard question - because I like to learn about new new foods, drugs, legislations, training methods, animal artists and robotic vacuum cleaners.

God I have to laugh at some of your outlandish suppositions - so, my 2 purebred with HD must've been environmental. Well, I could name names of the breeders concerned mate, but I'm sure it'd get slam dunked instantly, even if they are probably dead and buried by now. Two Rotties under the care of Dr. Geschmay, who was Adelaide's foremost HD specialist in his day, for a couple of years each, sure as hell was no environmental issue - NONE of my dogs are ever permitted to do a damn thing that could lead to environmental skeletal disorders, so you can trot off back to your drawing board and think up some other reason that I, the useless owner, could possibly have brought it about.

To the, I presume sarcastic (with 22,000 posts what else could it be)

":confused::confused: a what?????", you read correctly, I said AKITA INU You've not heard of them :rofl: You know, they're the big fluffy ones with curly tails, the national dog of Japan, the dog that sat at the train station every day after his Professor owner died & now there's a statute of him, the ones the Japanese used for hunting wild bear & boars, the very same ones that only royalty was allowed to own for 100's years, and, even to this day if you become unemployed &/or broke the Govt. will take the dog and feed/maintain it for you whilst you starve, Hellen Keller and all that stuff. Yes, that's the one, the AKITA INU. See here for more detail: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=akita+inu&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGHP_enAU431&redir_esc=&ei=QNGbT7bcDMmSiQew0LmxDg

Edited by TheMadDogLady

In Australia, they are just called Akita. No Inu.

You have to be one of the most rude and condescending posters I have seen in a long time. Maybe it's just your style, but it's rude.

You have to be one of the most rude and condescending posters I have seen in a long time. Maybe it's just your style, but it's rude.

Look, when I write in plain, simple English expressing my personal experiences and opinion, only to be attacked for same, wrongly accused of holding breeders in contempt and not liking pedigree dogs (oh sure, I can't stand them, that's why I've had so many so many successes over the years I suppose), it is inferred I must've caused HD in my 2 top Rotties and someone sees fit to take the piss because I referred to the breed of a dog correctly, then you can bet your sweet patootie I'm going to get somewhat peeved and start to treat peeps exactly in the demeaning manner they've treated me. Oh and their elitist attitude of "you've got a BYB mongrel, so why are you here???". I HAVE PUREBRED DOGS, I JUST DIDN'T PAY ANY OF YOU <>$1.5k ea FOR THEM AND THEY DON'T HAVE PAPERS BUT THEIR PUREso therefore I'm some sort of philistine renegade who's supporting "real breeders" competitors whom they'd like to see stamped out, banished, done away with, outlawed, hung, drawn & quartered for their plethora of sins.

Find a show program from 25 years ago when I was showing mine & see what Akita Inu's were referred to way back then. Akita Inu is the correct name. I don't give a fat rat's crack what the Aussies of today call them, I refer to them correctly and don't take kindly to being ridiculed for doing so, especially by pedigree breeders. So, let's start calling Blue Heelers just Blues shall we, any type of Mastiff prefix can be dropped so it's just Mastiff from now on, and whilst we're at it all Retrievers can be just that, no more differentiation between them requ'd. It's the Aussie way afterall :rofl:

Look, when I write in plain, simple English expressing my personal experiences and opinion, only to be attacked for same, wrongly accused of holding breeders in contempt and not liking pedigree dogs (oh sure, I can't stand them, that's why I've had so many so many successes over the years I suppose), it is inferred I must've caused HD in my 2 top Rotties and someone sees fit to take the piss because I referred to the breed of a dog correctly, then you can bet your sweet patootie I'm going to get somewhat peeved and start to treat peeps exactly in the demeaning manner they've treated me. Oh and their elitist attitude of "you've got a BYB mongrel, so why are you here???". I HAVE PUREBRED DOGS, I JUST DIDN'T PAY ANY OF YOU <>$1.5k ea FOR THEM AND THEY DON'T HAVE PAPERS BUT THEIR PUREso therefore I'm some sort of philistine renegade who's supporting "real breeders" competitors whom they'd like to see stamped out, banished, done away with, outlawed, hung, drawn & quartered for their plethora of sins.

Find a show program from 25 years ago when I was showing mine & see what Akita Inu's were referred to way back then. Akita Inu is the correct name. I don't give a fat rat's crack what the Aussies of today call them, I refer to them correctly and don't take kindly to being ridiculed for doing so, especially by pedigree breeders. So, let's start calling Blue Heelers just Blues shall we, any type of Mastiff prefix can be dropped so it's just Mastiff from now on, and whilst we're at it all Retrievers can be just that, no more differentiation between them requ'd. It's the Aussie way afterall :rofl:

Petal, you're doing your fair share of 'attacking'. This is just a little discussion forum not an unmoderated facebook page where anything goes. You set the tone and unsurprisingly got the responses you set yourself up for.

And yes, you are absolutely entitled to an opinion, that's your right but personally I don't think that needs to be at the expense of others with your harsh & derogatory language.

Petal, you're doing your fair share of 'attacking'. This is just a little discussion forum not an unmoderated facebook page where anything goes. You set the tone and unsurprisingly got the responses you set yourself up for.

And yes, you are absolutely entitled to an opinion, that's your right but personally I don't think that needs to be at the expense of others with your harsh & derogatory language.

Sigh, please go back and read post #33, slowly, carefully, and take it all in ... then please, do tell me where I was at all attacking, harsh, rude, derogatory or, much less, saying breeders are contemptable and pedigree dogs are bad? Then read subsequent posts in reply and tell me who's been condescending, rude and elitist.

The guy that flew off the handle against Reg'd Breeders/Pedigrees ... his post got me thinking about something that had never occurred to me before now, because this is the first time in my life I've not shelled out $1k's for a pedigree dog group as such, and it's been a fantastic, emotionally & financially rewarding experience. In no way did I dump on anyone, status of dogs or the people who bred them; I simply made an observation that the only issues I've ever had, and the many, many $1k's lost has been as a result of pedigree dogs - it's not rocket science, it's just plain simple fact - I'm not knocking the dogs or the breeders, just stating the truth. The pedigree dogs with issues (2 Rotties & Akita etc) were amongst the first few bred and sold in the country.

Sigh, please go back and read post #33, slowly, carefully, and take it all in ... then please, do tell me where I was at all attacking, harsh, rude, derogatory or, much less, saying breeders are contemptable and pedigree dogs are bad? Then read subsequent posts in reply and tell me who's been condescending, rude and elitist.

The guy that flew off the handle against Reg'd Breeders/Pedigrees ... his post got me thinking about something that had never occurred to me before now, because this is the first time in my life I've not shelled out $1k's for a pedigree dog group as such, and it's been a fantastic, emotionally & financially rewarding experience. In no way did I dump on anyone, status of dogs or the people who bred them; I simply made an observation that the only issues I've ever had, and the many, many $1k's lost has been as a result of pedigree dogs - it's not rocket science, it's just plain simple fact - I'm not knocking the dogs or the breeders, just stating the truth. The pedigree dogs with issues (2 Rotties & Akita etc) were amongst the first few bred and sold in the country.

double sigh

I'm out before I get a warning.