Female Dogs With Female Dogs?

Isabel964

I think it depends on the breed as well, I know most breeders in my breed have all their dogs running together regardless of gender and entireness. I plan on doing the same, I couldn't handle doing musical dogs everyday so I didn't get a breed that is pushy or can be dog aggressive.

I am currently doing musical dogs because my girl is entire and have an "entire" male as well but there is no way I could do it for the rest of their lives.

That is all very well until a girl comes into season....changes the chemistry.

Should change that last sentence to "because my girl is in season".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Entire' is where the problems stem from.

Not necessarily. I had two desexed girls who didn't get on.

They were fine until the youngest began to mature then it was on for young and old and I had to rehome the youngest as I couldn't keep them together. Like someone else said, I think it depends on the personalities of the dogs. My girl is very pushy, she gets on with some girls and some boys, and other dogs she seems to hate on sight. I did Mysticview's classic trick and picked the pups that came to me for my first two (male and female) and yep, they're both strong dogs. The second girl was a foster that I fell in love with so I never saw her with her littermates.

I have 2 desexed girls, one is 3.5 y.o, and the other is nearly 7 y.o. The younger girl was an only dog until about 8 months ago, and I never had a problem with her with any other dogs, entire or not, male or female. There has also be no sign of trouble between the girls or any other dogs since the older one came to live with us.

I was always encouraged to get a male if we were ever to find a companion for the first dog, but I trusted my instinct that everything would be ok.

An earlier poster mentioned early desexing, so I thought I would mention that both of my girls happened to be desexed at 6 months, prior to first season. Personally though, I feel it's a Samoyed's natural temperament to be this way if brought up as part of a family, because my younger girl's entire litter sister is also fine with other females.

The data, which is not very compelling, is that bitches in the same home are more likely, statistically, to have a serious fight than dogs in the same home. Anecdotally, this certainly rings true, and a recent thread here demonstrates the seriousness of some (thankfully uncommon) fights between bitches. Most domestic pet dogs get along very well in pairs if bred, raised and trained well.

The data, which is not very compelling, is that bitches in the same home are more likely, statistically, to have a serious fight than dogs in the same home. Anecdotally, this certainly rings true, and a recent thread here demonstrates the seriousness of some (thankfully uncommon) fights between bitches. Most domestic pet dogs get along very well in pairs if bred, raised and trained well.

Anecdotally, some of the breeders (of my breed of interest) have told me that when their females fight it tends to be more serious & can cause damage.

When the adult females have come to me as pets, there have been some hissy fits at first. But in a home situation, they start to get the kind of training that covers humans being close by & making it clear they're in charge. So the 'hissiness' has disappeared. Then they've turned into the opposite. Like a pair of close 'sisters' (but unrelated).

I have always had bitches, always, and never had an issue. But late last year, my 18mo Dane bitch decided to try and kill my 15mo Greyhound bitch. She did some serious damage. We kept them entirely seperate for weeks (didn't even see each other through the window), then tried to introduce them again. It went OK for a week or two, but then my OH left them unsupervised and the Dane went the Greyhound again. They now live seperately and I don't trust the Dane at all. Funnily enough, the Dane is fine with Maisie who is the alpha bitch.

I have always had bitches, always, and never had an issue. But late last year, my 18mo Dane bitch decided to try and kill my 15mo Greyhound bitch. She did some serious damage. We kept them entirely seperate for weeks (didn't even see each other through the window), then tried to introduce them again. It went OK for a week or two, but then my OH left them unsupervised and the Dane went the Greyhound again. They now live seperately and I don't trust the Dane at all. Funnily enough, the Dane is fine with Maisie who is the alpha bitch.

Do you think this is because they are SO close in age?

Great thread :laugh: I find reading about people's experiences with same sex aggression interesting, never having experienced it myself. I have never owned a female dog of my own, however I could not think of a worse way to live (Musical Rooms). My mum plays musical rooms with her 3 dogs and it drives me mental when I go there, you have to be so alert all the time, it is ok when two are outside but when they are inside plus the cat it is actually highly stressful.

In my little world of bitches, this change of chemistry results in everyone humping one another. I've seen a conga line of four in the days when I had four entire girls. The sexual energy can be embarassing, or amusing, depending on your persuasion. But I've never had it turn aggressive.

I think it depends on the breed as well, I know most breeders in my breed have all their dogs running together regardless of gender and entireness. I plan on doing the same, I couldn't handle doing musical dogs everyday so I didn't get a breed that is pushy or can be dog aggressive.

I am currently doing musical dogs because my girl is entire and have an "entire" male as well but there is no way I could do it for the rest of their lives.

That is all very well until a girl comes into season....changes the chemistry.

I have two entire bitches living with me. They are about a year apart in age. One has been here for only 8 months, the other for almost 3 years. They get along well. Neither are what I would call 'dominant' dogs. Neither were the dominant dogs in their litter. I suspect, living in a home situation, that I am the 'alpha bitch' (no funny comments :( ) and they fit in behind that. They play with each other a lot but don't fight. If you were to ask me who was the dominant dog between them, I would find it hard to say.

Two bitches here, and two dogs, and no problems. I always make sure to be smart about feeding times and separating everyone - especially when I feed "competition food" (eg bones...they couldn't care less about squabbling over kibble!), but they all tend to swap and share everything anyway.

I can feed my three big girls together out of one bowl and there is NO fights or issues at all.

I usually feed them in seperate bowls as one needs medication but they often get stuff together in one bowl as a treat.

They adore each other lots.