Female Dogs With Female Dogs?

Isabel964

I think it depends on the breed as well, I know most breeders in my breed have all their dogs running together regardless of gender and entireness. I plan on doing the same, I couldn't handle doing musical dogs everyday so I didn't get a breed that is pushy or can be dog aggressive.

I am currently doing musical dogs because my girl is entire and have an "entire" male as well but there is no way I could do it for the rest of their lives.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think breed and personality have a lot to do with it. I had two bitches one entire one desexed (although later at 6 years) They fought and the young one tried to kill the old one. From that day forward they had to eb carefully managed. I think temperment and breed had a lot to do with that.

People thinking a lot to get a female dog is same as cute little girl and she grow up with gentle nature like a nice lady because she female, is not the same with the dog like with the people, vey different. Mostly gentle nature cute and cuddly in the dog comes from male dog surprise, yes?, and people dont thinking this is happening. The two female if they dogs who hate each other cause the worstest fights always and they dont forgive, that part is like some lady like my wife sometimes, she complain on something happen 10 year ago, excuse the lady here, I having a joke only, but the female dog hold more a grudge against another dog, where the male dog tends to accept defeat and get on with his life more easily I have found in the Shepherd dog is the case.

Much easier to run male dogs togther than the females any day. Submissive female is good, but a strong bitch if she gets bad day will fight a male no worries especially in the seasonal around there needing to be careful. I don't have much experience running the desexed females, maybe it is better, but when before I worked the kennels with complete dogs, the bitch fights were very bad compared with males having a scruff. The females also tending once they have a fight, they hate the other dog more for ever in the grudge where the male dogs is happens too sometimes, but more often they can accept what happened and moving on their life ok.

Joe

My oldest female Paige will take any dog under her wing - all our foster dogs become 'hers'.

When we got our foster failure Serenity-Jayne - Paige dotted on her. Even fosters that have been nasty to her, she still tries to mother.

Yes, the female dog is more accepting of another dog intruding in the house intitially, I think this is true where the male dog by nature has more territorial instinct and can take more work for accepting. The female dog I find is more unpredictable thinking no worries this two female get along very nice always then suddenly massive fight happening? The male dog is easier to read and thinking no worries getting along more often stay that way and the males that don't get along good, you see that easily and keep an eye on them for the posture. We dont desex the working dog, so is different people saying with the desexed dogs for the better, but most I talking with the complete dogs from my experience.

Joe

My oldest female Paige will take any dog under her wing - all our foster dogs become 'hers'.

When we got our foster failure Serenity-Jayne - Paige dotted on her. Even fosters that have been nasty to her, she still tries to mother.

Yes, the female dog is more accepting of another dog intruding in the house intitially, I think this is true where the male dog by nature has more territorial instinct and can take more work for accepting. The female dog I find is more unpredictable thinking no worries this two female get along very nice always then suddenly massive fight happening? The male dog is easier to read and thinking no worries getting along more often stay that way and the males that don't get along good, you see that easily and keep an eye on them for the posture. We dont desex the working dog, so is different people saying with the desexed dogs for the better, but most I talking with the complete dogs from my experience.

Joe

This is the opposite to my house. My girl is very territorial and takes a while for her to accept other dogs in the house whereas my boy is more welcoming and invite every dog to hunt lizards with him...

I do think it has to do with temperament and breed of the dog.

I think it depends on the dogs.

Whn I was younger we had a bull arab mix called Sophie, at 45kg she looked so off with our 5kg Malt X, Daisy. They were inseparable and adored each other.

When we got Mac Sophie tolerate her and they never had an issue but the'y wernt as close as Sophie and Daisy. Now we have Quinn aswell but Sophie has passed on.

Mac and Quinn are funny together. Mac hasn't got great dog social skills, we think she was taken from her mum wayyy too young and she is geenrally happy to sit at the bottom rung on the ladder, give up any resource and get out of the way for anyone. Quinn and her arn't very close, Quinn stays true to her "bitch" title. She's snarky and will take any chance to get it over Mac. I was worried about it a couple of months ago but this was just as Mac was oming on heat and its settled down since. They are both pretty balanced together, Quinn is a pig over food she's crated to be fed otherwise she'd start hings with Mac but they get on well in most situations.

Our next dog will be female aswell.

Edited by B-Q

I run 4 bitches and 1 dog.

1 is a SWF but the other 3 are working breed.

The oldest girl is undisputed queen even now while she is getting very frail.

All ignore the SWF even when she realy pushes her luck.

2 of the others are separated at all times,12 hours each in a run every day.I don't trust them to even walk past the other on leads after having one break loose.We have been able to break up both fights before any injuries but its plain to see we won't be so lucky if there is a next time.

Both are fine with all the others,but as Joe says,they have a grudge and there is no cure.

We have also run entire males together with no dramas,though there were rare scuffles soon forgotten.

I run 4 bitches and 1 dog.

1 is a SWF but the other 3 are working breed.

The oldest girl is undisputed queen even now while she is getting very frail.

All ignore the SWF even when she realy pushes her luck.

2 of the others are separated at all times,12 hours each in a run every day.I don't trust them to even walk past the other on leads after having one break loose.We have been able to break up both fights before any injuries but its plain to see we won't be so lucky if there is a next time.

Both are fine with all the others,but as Joe says,they have a grudge and there is no cure.

We have also run entire males together with no dramas,though there were rare scuffles soon forgotten.

My parents two females love each other to bits. They've never had an issue. I hear people talking about same sex aggressiong all the time though on here, but I can't say I know of anyone who has had a particular issue.

I know a number of entire bitches that have gone each other and one that killed another.

'Entire' is where the problems stem from.

I disagree, desexed bitches that are that way inclined will still fight with the best of them.

The female dog I find is more unpredictable thinking no worries this two female get along very nice always then suddenly massive fight happening? The male dog is easier to read and thinking no worries getting along more often stay that way and the males that don't get along good, you see that easily and keep an eye on them for the posture. We dont desex the working dog, so is different people saying with the desexed dogs for the better, but most I talking with the complete dogs from my experience.

I agree females hold a grudge but not that the fights amongst dogs in a household situation are really that hard to read coming, not if people pay close attention.

I think people get complacent, let little incidents happen, a push here and a glance there, and then suddenly it's on - but there has been a lead up to it. Maybe just one of the bitches being near to a season, or some change in the household that seems minor has upset them, but there is something. If the humans intervene appropriately at the right time, or if there is enough space that the dogs can self manage it to avoid conflict, a real fight may never happen. But if it does, it can be hard to totally recover a former relationship.

I agree that breed matters too - breeds that traditionally worked and lived in groups are often a bit predisposed to be more tolerant with pack mates, I'd put many of the hound breeds in that category.

Edited by Diva

I think it depends on the breed as well, I know most breeders in my breed have all their dogs running together regardless of gender and entireness. I plan on doing the same, I couldn't handle doing musical dogs everyday so I didn't get a breed that is pushy or can be dog aggressive.

I am currently doing musical dogs because my girl is entire and have an "entire" male as well but there is no way I could do it for the rest of their lives.

That is all very well until a girl comes into season....changes the chemistry.

I have 4 females here. They can all run together when we are with them. We normally run the two x two. Our youngest female is a bully and would desperately like to be the alpha, she is the one who will cause grief in this household and it will be with her mother as the other two are very easy going. When we are out the older two are together in the house while the younger two are in seperate runs. Touch wood I have been lucky so far, I know that a good bitch fight can be deadly.

Personally I woudl not have two female dogs as like humans all it takes for trouble is one argument except humans generally wont fight and cause vet bills or worse. But think about it two blokes have a disagreement they go off sounding like they will kill each other and return best of mates. Two women have a major disagreement and its grudge being held for a very long time and never best of friends at all again.

We are looking for a second dog but must be male as our dog is female and is getting older - the last time we had a female dog visit with people we knew our dog got very put out (and acted the same at their place) even though both dogs appeared to ignore each other the whole time. Whereas have never seen that reaction around male dogs.

It is Bull S**t that you MUST only get a dog of the opposite sex when introducing a new dog.

There are plenty of people who can run multiple females OR multiple (even entire) males together without issue.

I run here three entire females and one male. My male has run with up to four other entire males who are proven stud dogs like him. All without issue.

I know of people who cannot run two dogs together let alone two females or two males.

Don't forget that dogs are also individuals. Not all people like everyone else. Same goes for dogs. Not all dogs like all other dogs.

If you get two dominant type dogs (regardless of sex) you are going to have issues of one dog wanting to be dominant over the other. That is pack structure. Where people go do not mix two females or two males, yes it can be worse when you mix two of the same sex, but that is not always the case.

The more dogs you have, the more diverse your pack structure battles are going to be. Most often many people are none the wiser for some of the pack battles they are that subtle.

The problem with a lot of pet people is when they go to get a new family member, they pick the first one that goes to them thinking in error that "that dog picked me". What they have just chosen is the most confident, most social puppy in the litter. Once a social butterfly, always a social butterfly. Depending on general temperament of lines, dogs in question, the confidence can also come with a bit of dominance.

When choosing a new family member, know the temperament of the dog you have already and seek to match in temperament a dog to suit what you have. To achieve this, you may have to look at a few litters to find that right puppy that suits your needs. Not the first one that came to you.

worse fights i had here were between my male dog and foster girl

My female golden retreiver absolutely loved the fosters whether they were male or female and she took them under her paw. she has taken the new pup under her paw as well and I really believe they will continue to be best of friends as Latte grows older.

my two boys generally get on well, they have the odd growl at each other, its very odd and the last disagreement they had was well over 12 months ago and it was so mild that I could hold the collar of one dog and tell the other to get out.

so I really don't know what to believe anymore. I think it's more of the dog's personality rather than the sex.

I have three big girls ...all desexed. Two Rotties and a Dane cross. They all adore each other and we have never had a single moment with these three together.

My daughter also has a desexed girl and whilst they love her, she has started two fights with my girls in the 6 years my daughter has had her.

One fight was when another dog was visiting and she and my three were locked inside away from the visiting dog. She snapped at one of my dogs in her frustration that she wasn't allowed to get to the other dog outside. Fight was over in seconds.

I think its more the nature of the dogs rather than the gender.

We have 4 girls here (2 desexed, 2 intact) and have minor issues between one intact (Irish Terrier) and one desexed bitch (Bull TerrierX) when the intact girl is coming into season, so when she's due or acting like she is coming in they are seperated when we aren't supervising.

All the others run together without issue. I'm often bringing in other intact girls over for anywhere from a day or two to months at a time and no issues, but they are a breed that generally get along well (Aussie Shepherds). In fact my older two Aussie Shepherds (1/2 sisters) absolutely adore each other even after living together for months.

Another Irish Terrier in the mix would certainly change things though and would need to be very careufully considered. As would another very dominant bitch like the muttly!

So I think it comes down partially to breed, partially to the lines behind the bitches, and partially to the bitches themselves. Poppy is a dominant, pushy bitch while the Irish are known for not backing down and being a bit firey with their own sex.

A male and female pair is suggested because it's thought it is less likely to cause issues, not that it won't.