Command Dog Training School

I have recently adopted a new dog from the LDH.

Pipi is a Maltese X Poodle approx 1.5 yo. I really want to start obedience classes with him.

I've been looking for good schools in Melbourne and I came across this Command Dog Training.

I was wondering if anyone else has used these guys before? With my last dog we went to a community dog training class and I didn't really enjoy

the experience.

Would appreciate the feedback or any names of other good schools/classes in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Lucy

http://www.dogtraining.com.au/ - this is the website I was looking at.

I have absolutely no idea as I don't live in Victoria but for any training classes you are considering it wouldn't be a bad idea to ring them and ask if you can come watch a class. That way you can form your own opinion if this type of training would be beneficial to you and your dog before you outlay any cash.

I have recently adopted a new dog from the LDH.

Pipi is a Maltese X Poodle approx 1.5 yo. I really want to start obedience classes with him.

I've been looking for good schools in Melbourne and I came across this Command Dog Training.

I was wondering if anyone else has used these guys before? With my last dog we went to a community dog training class and I didn't really enjoy

the experience.

Would appreciate the feedback or any names of other good schools/classes in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Lucy

http://www.dogtraining.com.au/ - this is the website I was looking at.

I did their fast track private lessons some years back. The method of training was not suitable for us and though I'd paid in advance for the full course I quit before we completed it. At the time I had a very soft puppy who needed positive/reward based training and that's not where we were going with it.

This was quite a few years ago and training has evolved since then and hopefully so has their training style. It wasn't Basil who was training us, it was someone else from Command.

I've since spoken with someone who attended their group classes and she was happy with them.

I think perfect partners on here trained with them for a little while? Hopefully she will come and add her opinion if i have remembered correctly.

ETA Whoops, i think it was Alpha actually- i get the 2 confused sometimes!

I also agree with bedazzled- go along to a few different training orgs and find out more information as needed about the trainers methods, etc. Good luck!

Edited by Cosmolo

K9: Perhaps give some of the trainers in Victoria that post on DOL a try first? They give their time and this is very generous of them and worth rewarding.

I can recommend a number of them that I have personally worked with or referred clients to that have been happy with the results.

Edited by K9Pro

They look ok except for the bit about basing their training methods on "common sense" and bagging the "all positive" trainers also known as rewards based training. Anyone who says they use all positive training methods - doesn't really understand learning theory/science. Because positive and negative are technical terms for adding or removing something so adding something the dog doesn't like - is technically "positive" ie hitting it. And taking something away that it does like is "negative" ie putting the dog back on lead (removing freedom).

Hope I got that right this time (sigh).

The thing that gets me is the price.

For about $80, I get a whole year membership to my obedience dog club and as many classes as I can get to between Feb and November inclusive. They are supposedly half hour classes but often go longer, and you have the benefit of lots of volunteer instructors with varied training techniques and experience. There are many dog training clubs and they have many different approaches to training. Ie some use treats / choke chains / clickers, some don't, some are happy for owners to use whatever works. And if I want to compete, I'm half way there to having the right memberships (in SA also need to join the state organisation).

For $250 for 8 weeks of one hour (1 hour exceeds the attention span of most owners let alone their dogs) you'd want to get your money's worth. And if you don't want to use punishment on your dog and they do, based on their "common sense" then what do you do?

I don't know about K9 Command, but agree with the comments to go watch a class before you fork over any money. Make sure you're happy with how the dogs look & the results that are being obtained.

Erny from Pro-K9 posts here and works in Melbourne, she'd be another good option to get in touch with. Cosmolo from underdog training is in Melbourne too, probably also some other posters that I've forgotten.

From my understanding Basil (command training) uses all techniques. When I worked in the training sector I heard some good things about them from happy customers, but I also know that Judy from Pro K9 is a really good trainer and I think she has classes. Go to one of their classes with your dog (he needs to be vaccinated with a C5) and see which trainer suits you and your dogs needs. :o

I think perfect partners on here trained with them for a little while? Hopefully she will come and add her opinion if i have remembered correctly.

ETA Whoops, i think it was Alpha actually- i get the 2 confused sometimes!

I also agree with bedazzled- go along to a few different training orgs and find out more information as needed about the trainers methods, etc. Good luck!

Yes, it was 'Alpha'.

Thankyou for all the replies. Pipi has 2 weeks until his C5 vac so I've got a few weeks to have a look around and find the right class/trainer for us.

We have a private post adoption training class at LDH this weekend with planet K9 I think they're called.

I'm going to check out all the trainers on DOL and the links you guys provided. I can't wait to start training, I hope the poodle side of his brain clicks in.. î„…

If Planet K9 is still run by Nicole Beasley you should enjoy her classes, especially if you are more interested in positive training.

Is Command Basil Theofonedies (sp? sorry, my google is down)? If so, no I personally wouldn't train my dog there.

But yeah, as other have said there are a number of quality trainers and training schools run by DOL members.

We used command for our very first puppy (GR).

Mainly because they were training very close to where we lived.

This was 12yrs ago and I can't remember the guy's name.

But we went weekly for a yr and I liked them much better than the club that I tried with our next dog.

ETA: actually, I think we only did an eight week course with them, 'cause I just looked on the website, and that guy wasn't the one who took the clases we went to.

Will look in my old diarys later...sorry, now I'm confused lol

Edited by gidg

We used command for our very first puppy (GR).

Mainly because they were training very close to where we lived.

This was 12yrs ago and I can't remember the guy's name.

But we went weekly for a yr and I liked them much better than the club that I tried with our next dog.

ETA: actually, I think we only did an eight week course with them, 'cause I just looked on the website, and that guy wasn't the one who took the clases we went to.

Will look in my old diarys later...sorry, now I'm confused lol

I did command with my rottie. Bought a lifetime package. This going back about 10years ago in a Burwood school grounds. They had group lessons. Scout being my first dog and Rottie we did not start training i think tillshe was like 11 months old. After the first lesson i was nearly in tears knowing full well we should have started this a long time ago. Anyway, fastward and we passed second in our class. These classes gave her and me confidence. She is passive agressive. She's over the rainbow bridge but i loved the weekend lessons as well as the wednesday night ones.

We only stopped going cos we moved to far away.

scout.

good luck with your training

another couple of really great trainers are from K9 Company

They do classes multiple times a week in about 5 different locations.

i have been going there for my course and they use all kinds of techniques and equipment (depending on what suits the dog).

would highly recommend having a look!

another couple of really great trainers are from K9 Company

They do classes multiple times a week in about 5 different locations.

i have been going there for my course and they use all kinds of techniques and equipment (depending on what suits the dog).

would highly recommend having a look!

Yes they are great and are MDBA trainers of the year this year. I am going tonight!