Prefix Question

Kaffy Magee

I offered a friend of mine a show puppy from my last litter on the condition that I get a a puppy back from her. The agreement is that I choose the stud dog for her first litter and I get to pick my choice of puppy. All breeding costs and raising of litter and any money made from the sale of the other pups is borne by my friend. My friend has her own prefix and it did cross my mind that I would like to have the puppy with my prefix but didnt think too much of it as i thought it would be too much hassle. I was discussing a name I had already chosen for the pup (keen i know, the future mum is only 10 mths old,lol) and wanted PREFIX xxxx xx xxxxx FOR (my)PREFIX at the end of it but its too long. My friend emailed me back and said she assumed I would want the litter in my name seeing as I was choosing the stud etc. I would prefer that but dont know if thats a done thing, considering Im not raising the litter. Can my prefix be put in partnership temporarily for the raising of the litter? Has anyone done this before and what was your experience? I guess its not a big deal if it doesnt have my prefix on it, it would be nice, but not the end of the world.

I agree, leasing the bitch back for the period required would be the most suitable option.

ETA: if the litter is bred under the prefix of your friend there is no way a name will be accepted with your prefix in it.

Edited by Aziah

Marie is being leased to Katherine for our hopeful litter as she has spent a lot of money importing the dog and she really wanted the first litter in her prefix. Doesn't bother me in the slightest - we each get a puppy, we just have to pray for a good one of each. :hug:

You can also put your prefix in dual names, lease the bitch under your prefix, then reverse it all later if you want to. That would put the litter under your prefix and still have the other owner as co-breeder. I have done this a couple of times with no hassle.

The one thing you cannot do is put your prefix as part of the puppy's name if the litter is bred under another prefix.

Thanks for the info guys.

DancinBCs I might look in to that especially since I cant have my prefix anywhere in the name. Phooey! :hug: Otherwise I wont worry about it.

I dont want to lease the bitch and reg the litter solely in my name because I am not raising them and all enquiries will go through to my friend. It just doesnt sit right with me. I would be more comfortable if my prefix went in to joint names and I can forward people to my co breeder. In fact it all sounds like too much hassle, lol. So maybe I wont bother at all.

Anyway thanks for the info, I thought I had seen dogs with names and "for prefix" on the end of it. maybe they were imports.....

Cheers,

KM

If your going to put both names in co-prefix you need to then register the bitch in both names that are on the prefix.

Is it really important to have your prefix in the name?? maybe play on words to fit your prefix??

Probably were imports Kaffy, in the UK and Europe and I think US, you can include the other prefix in the reg name.

fifi

Most US breeders don't register their kennel names so anything goes there. My swedish import has the breeders name up front and my prefix on the end. My Angel's sire is a NZ import and has the importers prefix added with the breeders prefix.

I'm currently co leasing a bitch of my breeding so that I can put my kennel name on a pup. The rest of the litter will carry the prefix of the co breeder only (did this with M's litter as well) Everyone gets what they want when it comes to a 'name'.

I did a co breeding one time with someone in the states and because the litter was born in Canada and we register kennel prefixes, mine came first and I worked hers into the middle or end. CKC didn't really care because her kennel name was not registered and as long as the name was individual and one of a kind, they were fine with it.

You would need to lease the bitch, easy and not expensive,

I tried to register a joint prefix with another breeder to breed a co owned bitch but as the other person already had a QLD prefix we could not do it. So we set up the joint prefix with her husband and myself then we also had to transfer a lease on the bitch into joint names to match the prefix. lots of mucking about but we did it and have had done this with 3 girls now. Still the other breders name is not on the pups only her husbands but we transfer the pups to be owned either individually or in another partnership. I think QLD is the only state that works this way. 1 prefix only allowed.