What Prizes Would You / Wouldnt You Like To Win At A Show?

Jsk

Good:

Cash and sash - the nicer the sash, the less the cash is fine by me. :thumbsup:

Towels, polar fleece blankets.

Vet bed!!!

Quality breed specific items at specialties

Quality dog food. Even if I dont' use it, friends or rescue can.

Vouchers for dog product retailers present on the day.

Not so good:

"Dust collectors" - bowls, plates, mugs etc

Poor quality kitchen or household stuff. Or indeed any quality. I just don't need it.

Chairs or camping equipment - got those thanks

Artwork - some is beautiful, some is not and taste is a very individual thing

Cheap dog food - even if the company is sponsoring. Last thing I want to do is lug home a big bag of food (if I'm lucky enough to win one) of stuff I'll never use. I'd probably give it away on the spot.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but sometimes I'd prefer just a ribbon!

:thumbsup: A win is a prize in it's self, anything else is a bonus.

Yep I treasure my fringies :eek: (especially when they are fancy multi-coloured ones :eek: )

Mouldy Thermos!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Best Prizes i have won was - X2 large bags off dog food, sandwich toaster leads so much stuff and that was at 1 show!!!

Memorable was my Wine glass for winning best Opp (minor/puppy) at an Afghan Specialty show :eek:

I like bad prizes cause i like the look on the poeple that won it with the look of WTF do i do with this!! or the Rolling eyes :eek:

I was very happy with my first ever BNIG prize which was a bottle of wine! I went home and celebrated :)

Thankyou to Bulli District Kennel Club for that!

My bottle for NIG at Bulli is sitting in the fridge, might open it tonight. What breed did you have in there?

Cash & Sash is great, the cash can go towards fuel or in our case it usually goes towards lunch at the venue.

Towels and dog crate mats/beds are also very useful!

Many shows i go to have trophy and sash so i have a spare room full of things that i will never use, i even have a few bottles of wine that has been sitting in the cupboard for years lol

:p A win is a prize in it's self, anything else is a bonus.

Yep I treasure my fringies :rofl: (especially when they are fancy multi-coloured ones :) )

I love my fringies too, I still have mine from 40 years ago! :o

Trophy buying is a thankless task. I often think it's a bit of an unnecessary one too, I mean really, most of us just want the fringie if it's a special show and the points. Are any of us not going to show if there wasn't a $5 trophy? Rules are rules tho' I guess.

When this subject comes up I don't want to be ungrateful with respect to the work of the (usually) poor old Secretary or Show Manager who has to go and find 49 of something really cheap that everyone will like and another 7 of something a bit more expensive but not too expensive and another 7 of something a little bit more expensive again then the BIS/RUBIS.

I buy for dogs sized from mini dach to irish wolfhound. So I can't buy collars, beds, bowls, toys or anything too specific. You also have to make sure prizes are unisex.

Things I have bought as class in group prizes bearing in mind I have a city group club budget: first aid kits, torches, cool bags, chairs (sorry PF), picnicware, nice sewing kits, etc. Usually there is a practical or camping theme but even I am running out of ideas.

Speaking as an exhibitor, I always have a use for towels or vet bed providing the vet bed isn't cut into a stupidly small size in which case it's immediately passed on to our small dog friends. Beds are OK because we can use a couple of beds to make up a bed for our dogs. Cash and sash is really the go tho'. You can pay for petrol that way and you don't have to stuff extra crap in the car on the way home.

Guest CaptainCourageous

I like stuff that is "of the district" or "of the club".

For example, Bega Valley KC used to have local pottery.

I guess I'm reflecting a souvenir interest.

Cash is easy to organise and appeals to the majority, but the value of cash is normally the cost to the club of cash, whilst the value of donated prizes is something different to the cost to the club of donated prizes.

CC

Trophy buying is a thankless task. I often think it's a bit of an unnecessary one too, I mean really, most of us just want the fringie if it's a special show and the points. Are any of us not going to show if there wasn't a $5 trophy? Rules are rules tho' I guess.

When this subject comes up I don't want to be ungrateful with respect to the work of the (usually) poor old Secretary or Show Manager who has to go and find 49 of something really cheap that everyone will like and another 7 of something a bit more expensive but not too expensive and another 7 of something a little bit more expensive again then the BIS/RUBIS.

And that same poor person has to store it which could be months if brought on special.Our backroom is full of club trophies

In WA we get trophies for BIS?RUIS & Classes in show & then BIG/RUIG ,ribbons for all classes.

I don't show for the trophies & would sooner just receive a good ribbon & the extra expense placed on getting good interstate or international judges than what is wasted on trophies that many people will never use or keep.

I now we have personally recycled so many trophies over the years to smaller clubs .

Won some true shockers & yes won some great things but in all honesty just an added bonus