Silver Border Collies?

I thought I did a lot of research before I got young Kenzie, and I know there are many colour variants of Border Collies.

But what is a "silver" border collie????

Is it a blue merle? Or is there a colour out there that google doesn't know about (yes I googled it and it kept coming up with pictures of a sliver ornament dog :thanks: !!!)?!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I did a lot of research before I got young Kenzie, and I know there are many colour variants of Border Collies.

But what is a "silver" border collie????

Is it a blue merle? Or is there a colour out there that google doesn't know about (yes I googled it and it kept coming up with pictures of a sliver ornament dog :laugh: !!!)?!!

i know of a blue and white but im not sure if thats the same :thanks: i googled it as well and it came up with silver ornaments haha

'Breeders' who sell their dog at a higher rate saying that the colour is 'rare'?

Well they must be rare if even Google doesnt know about them!

Is there a reason blue merles arent bred much? I think they are so pretty, yet you dont seem to see that many about

I think the issue is that there arn't many quality merles around to breed from.

I've never herd of silver BC's, lilac and merle yes and I've heard of slate but not sure if that fits in somewhere else.

yeh alot of people think a crappy quality blue and white is 'silver'...

Actually, for a blue to be a good colour as an adult they have to be born pale silver. Any darker blue than that and they end up looking like a faded black.

Solid Blues are much more common than blue merles in Border Collies.

Edited by dancinbcs

I had a look through the puppy pages and found what I assume was the listing mentioned.

After looking at their website (and photos of puppies that were advertised as being "silver"), the colour looked to me like a blue merle that just had less patches of darker blue than the puppies that were marked as being blue merle.

I then had a look at some of their adult dogs and.. there were a few dogs with the same mostly pale blue colour of the "silver" puppies. These were listed as being.. blue merle :thanks:

Safe to assume the silver is just blue merle. The breeder's motivation for advertising them as an unrecognised colour is anyones' guess.

Silver might be a dilute blue merle. Blue merle is usually black with merle. If you had a blue dog with merle it's solid bits would be blue so more errr silvery. :laugh:

Lilac is chocolate diluted. You don't see them around much but fairly easy to get that colour if you wanted to.

Silver might be a dilute blue merle. Blue merle is usually black with merle. If you had a blue dog with merle it's solid bits would be blue so more errr silvery. :laugh:

Lilac is chocolate diluted. You don't see them around much but fairly easy to get that colour if you wanted to.

That's a slate merle.

Edited by mr.mister

That's a slate merle.

I didn't say that silver was a correct term did I? I was suggesting what colour the puppy might actually be.