Dogs With Higher + Lower Energy Together?

skip

Hi all.

I have 2 small dogs ( 4 and 10kg, 7 + 8yrs). I am thinking about another dog for agility now. When I found the 2 dogs I have now I was looking for smaller dogs as I rented. Don't rent now and I am hooked on agility. I would like to have a dog more suited to dog sports but it is just as important that my dogs are happy/safe. I am worried about how my 2 will cope with a more energetic dog.

My dogs are also fairly quiet. They are not rough and tumble dogs at all and the male particularly dislikes over the top energetic dogs getting in his face. However he is very happy with most well behaved dogs.

I would be interested in anyone elses experiences or opinions?

I cannot decide if I want to go with a puppy (never had one ever) or a rescue dog. I have heard some say a puppy is more likely to get on with dogs you have already? But you could also get a dog from rescue that you know more about? What if a pup grew up and was too boisterous for my two?

Of course I am willing to do whatever it takes to look after all my dogs but I would rather plan carefully now and avoid issues if I can.

Hope this post makes sense as I am really confused about what I want. Too many lovely dogs.

Thanks

Edited by skip

you have met my guys, the mix of a full on dog and a dog that sleeps all the time works for me.

Atlas is very happy to chill out on the lounge or in his bed most nights, he isnt able to walk far anymore, so most nights I get Kaos out for a walk and At is happy to stay home.

At night time Kaos usually runs off to her bed with a bunch of toys to play with, so Atlas and i have time together without her. I will sometimes give one a bone and bring the other in to spend time with.

It works well for us and I think 2 Kaos' would be crazy, but 2 At's would be boring!

Hi Skip may I ask what breeds are your 2 darlings???

We have 3 pappy pups (one is for sale) that run with their mum & a 3yr old Whippet, my partner has got a 8yr old Rottie, 4yr Cavie x & a 9yr old JRT, they all get along great the Rottie is the Alpha dog, if the pups get to noisy he just goes up & gives a bark at them & walks away. Pups do soon learn when the older dogs in the family have had enough, the ages we have vary from 7months through to 9yrs, 8 dogs in all :D yep I know to many

Don't worry cowanbree - Shelties are way up there as a possible. Was told they can be as fast as a bc but a smaller package. One of the club trainers has a young dog who is full on, very friendly and really keen. My friend has a male (just got her 2nd pup this week) tri colour? who is a bit more timid and laid back than I would pick myself. However he loves my dogs and they all get on really well. Hmmmmm But I wouldn't get one in rescue, probably only from a breeder.

Teebs and murve - think it goes to show that with good training many dogs of different types can get along. Atlas and Kaos are very different. Not sure I could handle a Kaos but if you could package and send me a bit of her energy - that would be great.

My girl is a golden/cream chihuahua foxy x (toy) and the male is a black kelpie x chi ( mini + Paws rescue ). I do love pappy's but I was thinking this time to get a mini/midi. Maybe another toy next time. I have had a lot of trouble where I live from off lead dogs. I don't go to the off lead beaches now because of this. I sometimes need to pick up the chi x and let the male do as good as he can ( if I don't grab him too if it looks really bad). I feel another dog like a pap or toy poodle would stress me too much.

Thanks for your replies. By the way , murve, my last dog (from a property I lived on ) was a rottie. Big change, the rottie was the big sook.

Don't worry cowanbree - Shelties are way up there as a possible. Was told they can be as fast as a bc but a smaller package. One of the club trainers has a young dog who is full on, very friendly and really keen. My friend has a male (just got her 2nd pup this week) tri colour? who is a bit more timid and laid back than I would pick myself. However he loves my dogs and they all get on really well. Hmmmmm But I wouldn't get one in rescue, probably only from a breeder.

Teebs and murve - think it goes to show that with good training many dogs of different types can get along. Atlas and Kaos are very different. Not sure I could handle a Kaos but if you could package and send me a bit of her energy - that would be great.

My girl is a golden/cream chihuahua foxy x (toy) and the male is a black kelpie x chi ( mini + Paws rescue ). I do love pappy's but I was thinking this time to get a mini/midi. Maybe another toy next time. I have had a lot of trouble where I live from off lead dogs. I don't go to the off lead beaches now because of this. I sometimes need to pick up the chi x and let the male do as good as he can ( if I don't grab him too if it looks really bad). I feel another dog like a pap or toy poodle would stress me too much.

Thanks for your replies. By the way , murve, my last dog (from a property I lived on ) was a rottie. Big change, the rottie was the big sook.

:D tell me about we use to have about 5/6 Rotties, its fun when they are trying to be lap puppies, yes going from large breed to small/med breed & changing the way the training is done is fun :o I can say our paps have big dog syndrome, very outgoing & will move out the way very quickly.

I did stress at first with our babies ( but that was in the first couple of months) now I dont worry :o

I have just realised how to get a pic on

So mine are

Gemma post-17645-1302877098_thumb.jpg Sooty post-17645-1302877109_thumb.jpg

Oops should have said these photo's above taken by Paul. Photography.

Best mates post-17645-1302877136_thumb.jpg Do mix if food involved! post-17645-1302877153_thumb.jpg

Edited by skip

I have a 6 year old big lazy rescue mutt and a 1 year old very energetic Aussie. They get along well (better now that the Aussie is older and calmer) but to be honest, our older dog does put up with a LOT. He still gives us the "When is this dog going to leave MY house? Get it OUT of here!" looks sometimes :o

I think it can work, but you have to be prepared to separate them if required. My big boy is the boss and the younger girl knows it, he is also much bigger than her so can stand up for himself even though he is getting older.

My two oldies have always had very different energy levels. The bichon is relatively placid (although still playful at times) and the poodle x has always been a bit bonkers and hyperactive. Some signs of slowing a little now she is 12, but not a lot.

Our quieter dog has definitely benefited from all the fun and games, but he definitely breathes a sigh of relief when he gets some time alone. I don't think he would miss her much if she didn't come back one day, but if he didn't come back she would be inconsolable!

I would say it depends a bit on the size and activity level of the new dog. I doubt a sheltie or pap would be a problem. A BC or kelpie may need some separate play areas though, which may be a bit more difficult.

I have a 10.5 year old lower energy BC and a 3 year old high energy BC and they both co-exist happily enough. Sometimes I feel sorry for the youngster that the older one won't play with her but thats not necessarily a bad thing for a performance dog. If your intending on training for a sport then you really want them to find you the most exciting thing in the world anyway rather than playing with other dogs and self exercising. You just need to make sure the more energetic dog gets enough mental stimulation and teach them to chill and don't allow the energetic one to hassle the others when they are resting.

My older one will spend her days sleeping whereas the youngster is often outside doing other things. Occasionally in the evening the youngster will hassle the older one (especially at the moment) but then I will usually take the young one out and do a training session or something or play a game with her.

Edited by ness

I have the mix of one quiet, nay comatose, dog (the black one in my sig) and one really active, inquisitive and playful dog (the harlequin in my sig).

Definitely the active one drives the comatose one a bit batty sometimes (we keep this to a minimum).

As wuffles said you have to be prepared to intervene to keep the quieter dog happy.

I can completely relate to what Teebs is saying. My comatose dog is so so lazy and inactive and unplayful and he has a kind of unhappy disposition. Having two of him would be a bit depressing! But having two of my active dog and we would be living in permanent destruction and going insane :o

My 7 month old working Springer is a mini cyclone compared to the (now) calmness of my 4 year old Dally. However she is smaller and has a really soft temperament compared to a working line Lab, for example, which is a much more popular breed for retrieving. That said I take Em out for about 4 training sessions of various intensity every day plus a walk. Ziggy gets much less frequent/shorter training sessions and more exercise because of their age differences. He's also much more keen to train now which is a great bonus! They play a lot together (nearly always started by Em) and Zig is extremely tolerant - she ignores him when he gets grumpy and just dive bombs him from the couch. At this point I just take Em training and leave Zig to relax.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I agree with everyone that this can work very well. It's simply a matter of management. This can happen with dogs of different ages, different health, etc. anyway, not just differing energy levels so anyone can be affected. I've had many dogs of different energy levels and it's never been an issue. High energy dogs have to be taught self control and get lots of exercise...

Often a higher energy dog gives the 'lazy' one a new lease of energy and interest too, as long as they get 'rest' periods without the other dog bothering them they'd be fine. :o

I have a lazy couch potato and a little tornado as well. They get along famously. My lazy dog is very social, though, and loves to play. The little fella keeps him more active than I think he would otherwise be, but when he gets tired of playing the little guy leaves him be. They are only 18 months apart in age, so I think that this helps them get along. The lazy dog is not very committed to holding resources and getting what he wants, so we generally find that there are very few arguments. 90% of the time Kivi lets Erik have his own way. The other 10% of the time Erik barks at Kivi and Kivi ignores him. Erik seems to know when he's not going to win and doesn't push the matter. We have a very harmonious household. A lot of the pestering Erik did as a puppy gradually disappeared on its own as he grew closer to Kivi.

Thanks for all your replies.

I do know that if I get one of the smaller breeds I like life could be simpler. Dogs such as mini poodle, sheltie, a type of terrier or rescue cross for eg. But in terms of a BC, kelpie or brittany? Hmmmm

When one dog is 4 kg it must be important to get on otherwise I will need to seperate while I am away.

Bit more decision making on my part. I can see myself getting a dog to keep my dogs happy and one that will still enjoy running for me. I found my first 2 dogs without much knowledge, now all this knowledge about dog breeds makes it harder to decide.

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

I have just realised how to get a pic on

So mine are

Gemma post-17645-1302877098_thumb.jpg Sooty post-17645-1302877109_thumb.jpg

Oops should have said these photo's above taken by Paul. Photography.

Best mates post-17645-1302877136_thumb.jpg Do mix if food involved! post-17645-1302877153_thumb.jpg

What lovely babies Skip

this is Teddy one of our boys

post-11119-1303033138_thumb.jpg