Black Dog Syndrome

Leelaa17

Having been rescuing dogs for around 6 years now, I have found that the dogs that have taken the longest to rehome (12 months plus) were all large adult male brindles. I have had a few black fosters, and none of them were long-termers.

We never had trouble rehoming the brindles, lots of people commented they look like skinny tigers so I guess it was the perception they were "exotic" that made them so easy to rehome.

Someone really needs to start a rumour that black greyhounds are a rare dog :rofl:

Yes!

I have had around a dozen greyhound fosters all up, and at the moment actually have my first black one, so we'll see how we go. She is also a senior though (9 years old), so that may have some impact on her rehoming prospects. Hopefully she will find a wonderful home :p

Edited by Daisy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha. This is so true. My friends brother walked in on us sharing a cuppa and noticed my black lab under my chair. He nearly jumped out of his skin. Apparently she had evil eyes....though I dont know how he could see her eyes from the other side of the kitchen.

I recon movies have a part to play in this too. Threatening dogs are always dark and the hero dogs are usually paler. Probably a bit like the 'knight in shining armour' and dark clothed villian idea.

Personally I like the shine on a black coat.

what I'd like to note is that in 'I Am Legend' with Will Smith - the hero dog is a GSD!! :p ;) :dancingelephant::dancingelephant::mad and he was dark but tri coloured!

I refuse to watch i am legend for the fact they kill him :(

Me too!

I havent watched it since - I wish someone had bloody told me they kill the dog because I didnt know when I first saw it and was absolutely BAWLING when I saw it. And I loved the movie so its a shame I probably wont watch it again. lol

oh and how to you add pictures from photobucket? I want you guys to see my dogs :rofl:

Ha. This is so true. My friends brother walked in on us sharing a cuppa and noticed my black lab under my chair. He nearly jumped out of his skin. Apparently she had evil eyes....though I dont know how he could see her eyes from the other side of the kitchen.

I recon movies have a part to play in this too. Threatening dogs are always dark and the hero dogs are usually paler. Probably a bit like the 'knight in shining armour' and dark clothed villian idea.

what I'd like to note is that in 'I Am Legend' with Will Smith - the hero dog is a GSD!! :p ;) :dancingelephant::dancingelephant::mad and he was dark but tri coloured!

Me too!

I havent watched it since - I wish someone had bloody told me they kill the dog because I didnt know when I first saw it and was absolutely BAWLING when I saw it. And I loved the movie so its a shame I probably wont watch it again. lol

oh and how to you add pictures from photobucket? I want you guys to see my dogs :rofl:

Upload the picture to photobucket, then get the url of the photo (there's a little box that pops up when you mouse over each picture, url is.. the second one down, from memory). Then, back on Dol, click on the "add image" button in the post menu (directly to the right of the hyperlink button) and paste the url into the dialogue box that pops up.

Alternatively, you can just type in the tags yourself around the url (img)http://imageURL.com(/img) replacing the ( with [

This is the first I have heard of "black dog syndrome" but I can understand that black is an unlucky colour for some Asian people. When I worked at a shelter we never had problems with black dogs, it was brindle, plain short coated tans blue speckled or white with heavy ticking that were less likely to find a home.

Personally I love black animals of all kinds and have owned not only black dogs for many years but also black cats and a black horse. My only stipulation is that they need to be a true black, not a dark brownish or washed out colour. Nothing else shines like a true black coat. I like black because in both dogs and horses, it is actually a much rarer colour than brown. Black may be common in some breeds of dog but across all breeds the majority are various shades of gold, tan or brown.

I would be happy to have a dog of just about any colour except brindle, merle or speckled, none of which I find at all attractive in any breed.

Black is Beautiful

I must have a thing about black dogs .

Molly is black.

I wanted a gold cocker but after waiting ages and still people in front of me waiting for a gold I decided a black will do , I am glad I did now as I prefer the black cocker over the gold . So when it comes to cockers everyone wants a gold

Then when we decided on adopting Savannah ( aged afghan :rofl: ) we had no idea on her color. My partner said just before her arrival that "I bet she is black " i said "surely not" but yes as soon as she jumped out of the car we both said she's black .

5562689931_8252c5d429.jpg

week #12 / 52 by mtd3, on Flickr

5356514108_e5aa37f8f6.jpg

Molly by mtd3, on Flickr

Edited by MTD

I've heard about it also. I think if it does happen, it doesn't happen on a conscious level.

I fostered an adorable lab x kelpie and he had no trouble finding a home, but he was extremely cute and only 10 weeks old.

Here is my big and beautiful Black rescue dog:

027-1.jpg

Me too!

Upload the picture to photobucket, then get the url of the photo (there's a little box that pops up when you mouse over each picture, url is.. the second one down, from memory). Then, back on Dol, click on the "add image" button in the post menu (directly to the right of the hyperlink button) and paste the url into the dialogue box that pops up.

Alternatively, you can just type in the tags yourself around the url (img)http://imageURL.com(/img) replacing the ( with [

Thanks Hardy's Angel. I'm just uploading some now so pics will be up soon

I have a huuuuge soft spot for yellow labradors, I don't go gaga over the blacks (and chocs) like I do with a yellow. Just personal preference, nothing to do with being superstitious or perceiving them as aggressive. Just think yellow is pretty :p And photograph so much better :rofl:

the darker the better for me :)

my fav's are black and dark tan.

i think they are the cutest as there is such contrast and there eyes stand out. no good for night time, as they are hard to locate lol

again so funny i walk my two and everyone crosses the street i walk the golden everyone stops.

i think the size shape of there head if it is sharp of soft.

people also associate colour eg

black, dark, cold, scary,

white, bright, happy, warm

worst things about black stands out on light clothes and on tiles.

who looks scarier ??

2q0qbmc.jpg

It helps to have a goofy smile when you are a big black dog :)

IMGP8538.jpg

IMGP8546.jpg

IMGP8567.jpg

Ohh what a beautiful dog! I don't anything looks quite as nice as a shiny black well-muscled dog, but unfortunately, I knew that because I wanted a dog I could take everywhere, I would be better off with a red doberman rather than the traditional black and tan. It's definitely true. I have met up with a couple who own a male entire doberman almost the same age and same size as mine a couple of times now (they are great playmates), and yet despite the black one probably having the softer and sillier temperament, people are always trying to pat and hug my dog, and giving his a decent birth.