Have Narrowed My Breeds

KOE

Hello,

I am getting another dog to show and have now decided either a Corgi or a Swedish Vallhund.

1. What are herditary diseases they can carry.

2. Do they have outgoing temperments (swedes)

3. Do breeders guarantee their show stock

4. Are they required to pass any schemes

5. Any breeder recommendations

thankyou

Edited by KOE

:) JMO I would go with the Vallhund

A friend has one, he has show title, Obedience title, Herding & Tracking......very hardy little guys...

Leonie Darling would be the lady to contact on Vall's she would be able to help you with breed type etc......( Sorry this is NSW only do not know about other states)

Good Luck, let us know how you go....

Valls are very hardy dogs and I hear they're a bit better with joint/back problems because they have slightly longer legs than corgis (I think the corgi puppies are waaay cute though, so it's a tough call :laugh: ). My Hugo is very outgoing and I hear most Valls are, actually. I recommend Ausvarg as a breeder, she's a very kind, helpful person, and she's great to talk with over the phone--just give her a ring!

Erik's breeder (SDDU) explained to me that SVs don't have back problems because their rib cage is elongated so there is no part of the back that is supporting more weight than that of a normal dog. I had a closer look at Erik and measured the distance between the end of his ribs and his loins and then made the same measurements in some other dogs that are more square and she was right! The distance between the end of his ribs and his loins was the same as a more square dog of approximately the same size.

SDDU knows an awful lot about Vallhunds. :laugh: Also LisaJ from Akka, who lurks on DOL, is another fountain of knowledge. Peta from Barahwolfe in NZ is also on DOL on occassion, but I've forgotten her screen name.

Hi Koe, I wrote a huge long letter and my internet explorer shut down.

I am running for an appointment now:( so I have attached some useful links, the pdf is really worth the download. If I can be of any help phone me (03 54 463 159) or send me your phone number and I would be happy to phone you.

Oh by the way I am Sharon from Ausled SVs lol

http://svclub.org.nz/resources/Swedish%20V...le%20(2011).pdf

http://www.vastgotaspets.com/

http://svclub.org.nz/

Cheers

Sharon

PS Have you met a Vallhund ? I can put you in touch with several Vall owners in QL if you want to meet a few :(

Another who would suggest Leonie. What she doesn't know about Vallhunds isn't worth knowing. She is amazing :laugh:

Meant to add, Aziah who is on here is the Pembroke Corgi expert!! She has lovely dogs and I would recommend contacting her regarding them. I adore Corgis and they'd be my pick of the two :eek:

Edited by benshiva

Can't help because I find it hard to choose between the two myself :laugh:

Definitely have a chat to Aziah to answer your corgi Qs.

Have you got any requirements? For example grooming wise, a pembroke corgi requires more grooming than a vall and they shed a bit more.