Should He Have Been Charged?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/man-...9-1226026798274

A MAN is being questioned by police after his dog died as a result of being left in a car in Sydney's inner- west this morning.

Police officers from Leichhardt responded to reports a dog was in distress inside a vehicle on Grove Street at Birchgrove.

When police arrived the three-year-old Labrador "Ella" was unconscious in the back seat of the Toyota Prius.

After smashing the window to gain entry into the vehicle, the officers poured cold water on the dog and tried to resuscitate it.

The officers took the dog to a nearby vet where it was pronounced dead.

The 61-year-old male owner of the dog is assisting police with their inquiries.

It is expected he will be charged with animal cruelty.

I have just contacted the LAC and asked whether or not this guy is going to be charged... they said he wasn't - that is was purely an accident and that he was a big dog lover... What do you guys think? Should he have been charged?

Personally I think he should have - maybe just a fine or something. Its all well and good that it was an accident and I'm sure he was very distraught and my heart goes out to him... BUT... the dog did pass away... so I think he should just get a fine or something... I don't know - what do you guys think???

Geeze, an necropsy would be a good thing.

The dog may have died of something entirely unrelated to its being in the car.

And if it was in shock for a non heat related cause, pouring cold water on it would have made things worse.

Edited by poodlefan

I know someone who has 5 children under 6 and when she got home from shoppping the dog came out to greet them. After carrying the groceries inside, she locked the car up and did not notice that their cocker spaniel had jumped in. He was found dead the next morning and she was very very distressed. They brought the dog over from South Africa and it was her 'first child' - so to speak.

Maybe it was an accident or as he is 61 maybe his memory is not so great.

Edited by pipsmum

In January I told a stupid woman off for leaving her poodle in the car, it was a cooler day but it was getting on for lunchtime, two windows were down half an inch. Dog was fretting. I was just about to call the police when she appeared, in a panic as she'd lost her car. I said well you almost lost your dog, don't ever leave them in the car like that.

We can't know all the details, the only ones that do are the investigating police, and they have decided not to proceed. So we can at least presume there is insufficient evidence to charge or fine him :thumbsup: . Not enough evidence means he can't be fined or charged, no matter what opinions people might have on a story.

Why pull up an old story? Given your thread the other day it seems like you're trying to justify your (over) reaction by dredging up an old story to say 'see I told you so' :(

Actually thats incorrect. I work for the paper that covered this story, locally. And whilst following it up I was curious to know what other people thought.

It just so happens that it had to do with a dog in a car. I'm not saying 'I told you so', because I don't like being that kind of person who rubs it in when she is right. And apparently I wasn't right in my other thread so why would I want to bring all that s**t up again?

I was merely asking what people thought about the PERSON in this incident. NOT THE DOG. This thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact the dog was left in the car (RIP) but the fact that the man didnt get charged. No matter what he had've done, whether it had anything to do with a dog in a car or not, I STILL would've asked the question.

And I pulled up an old story because I was interested? If you don't care then why bother commenting?

The reason the 'old story' was brought up was because I was working on a follow up story yesterday and hadn't seen the story previously - so not knowing how old it was.

And if it was in shock for a non heat related cause, pouring cold water on it would have made things worse.

What is a necropsy? Is that an autopsy for dogs?

Yes

Yes

Ok. Is it common for dogs to get necropsy's after they pass away? Or is it only in animal neglact/cruelty/unknown cases?

Ok. Is it common for dogs to get necropsy's after they pass away? Or is it only in animal neglact/cruelty/unknown cases?

If a cause of death isn't obvious or needs to be put beyond doubt, then this is how you proceed.

A young fit? dog left in a car on a mild day is an unlikely candidate for death by heat stress. If it wasn't that, then facts need to be established before charges can be laid. I'd have thought asking whether or not a necropsy was performed would have been part of any follow up. :hug:

The facts are that thousands of dogs spend thousands of hours in cars every year and very very few of them come to grief outside of summer months. Of course "dog waits in car for owner without incident" stories don't sell papers.

Edited by poodlefan
It just so happens that it had to do with a dog in a car. I'm not saying 'I told you so', because I don't like being that kind of person who rubs it in when she is right. And apparently I wasn't right in my other thread so why would I want to bring all that s**t up again?

I was merely asking what people thought about the PERSON in this incident. NOT THE DOG. This thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact the dog was left in the car (RIP) but the fact that the man didnt get charged. No matter what he had've done, whether it had anything to do with a dog in a car or not, I STILL would've asked the question.

And I pulled up an old story because I was interested? If you don't care then why bother commenting?

The reason the 'old story' was brought up was because I was working on a follow up story yesterday and hadn't seen the story previously - so not knowing how old it was.

No dog in car, no thread. It has a lot to do with the dog in the car. :hug:

If a cause of death isn't obvious or needs to be put beyond doubt, then this is how you proceed.

A young fit? dog left in a car on a mild day is an unlikely candidate for death by heat stress. If it wasn't that, then facts need to be established before charges can be laid. I'd have thought asking whether or not a necropsy was performed would have been part of any follow up. :hug:

The facts are that thousands of dogs spend thousands of hours in cars every year and very very few of them come to grief outside of summer months. Of course "dog waits in car for owner without incident" stories don't sell papers.

Asking about an autopsy isn't part of the follow up unless there was some indiciation that the dog DIDNT die from heat stress and died from something else aside from what was stated in the first report. For eg.

Man left dog in car and dog died from heat stress.

and the follow up would be

Man that left dog in car with dog dying of heat stress will not be charged.

If something was said to indicate that maybe the dog DIDNT die of heat stress then thats when one would ask about the necropsy (I would've said autopsy because that's what I thought it was :()

Follow ups can be annoying things. I followed up on whether or not charges were being laid on the man, not whether or not the dog died from heat stress or not. Does that make sense?

And I don't think the article actually said anything about heat stress did it? I thought it just said the dog was distressed? I'm not sure.

Edited by Leelaa17

No dog in car, no thread. It has a lot to do with the dog in the car. :(

And that's a fair point :hug: Although my intention WAS just about whether or not the guy should have been charged. Not to start up another debate on dogs in cars. lol