Immunization

ashka1

My litter was born on a Tuesday and as I am back at work I can only get to the vets on a weekend, should I have their needles and checks at 5 weeks and 4 days or wait until 6 weeks and 5 days? What do you all do?

You vaccinate and micro chip at 8 weeks. :(

At what age do you let your puppies go to new homes after you Vaccinate?

My vet advises that Vaccines takes up 14 days for it to be fully absorbed into the system, therefore we keep our litters on longer.

My vet advises that Vaccines takes up 14 days for it to be fully absorbed into the system, therefore we keep our litters on longer.

Hi,

Use newer and more modern vaccines and the turn around is only 36 hours.

Try the new Nobivac vaccines made here in Aust at Bendigo. :laugh:

Dogs NSW Code of Ethics has a rule about this. Not sure about the other states.

6. A Member shall not sell or otherwise transfer from that member's care any puppy under 8 weeks of age, thus allowing for the vaccination which must be given at 6 weeks of age, and for the nesessary 10 to 14 days for the vaccine to take effect.

So if you want to place your pups at 8 weeks then you need to give shots at least 10 days prior. If you want to vaccinate at 8 weeks then the pup can not leave until 10 days later.

6. A Member shall not sell or otherwise transfer from that member's care any puppy under 8 weeks of age, thus allowing for the vaccination which must be given at 6 weeks of age, and for the nesessary 10 to 14 days for the vaccine to take effect.

So if you want to place your pups at 8 weeks then you need to give shots at least 10 days prior. If you want to vaccinate at 8 weeks then the pup can not leave until 10 days later.

Amazing how the dog world can be so out of touch with it's self. :(

Amazing how the dog world can be so out of touch with it's self. :(

Well with the term Ethical breeder bantered about as if meaningful, it may well be that leaving decisions on vaccination timing up to breeders is far too risky when considering a code of ethics.

All kidding aside, as far as I know it may be a NSW state law that is reflected in the Code of Ethics and not something Dogs NSW came up with.

Amazing how the dog world can be so out of touch with it's self. :hug:

Well with the term Ethical breeder bantered about as if meaningful, it may well be that leaving decisions on vaccination timing up to breeders is far too risky when considering a code of ethics.

All kidding aside, as far as I know it may be a NSW state law that is reflected in the Code of Ethics and not something Dogs NSW came up with.

I just believe that many of our organisations are out of touch with the modern dog world.

I remember seeing similar wording on entry forms from the year dot. :(

What vet school did he go to. :hug: Absorbtion is from the instant it enters. Perhaps he means effective.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Thanks everyone, the pups dont leave here until nearly 11 weeks, maybe I am being paranoid with the number of Parvo cases around. Will wait till 8 weeks, as this is preferable. It is interesting how often the imunisation recomendations change. Will check with my vet about the new Vacine. Thanks again.

No it's not state law. There's no law that anyone has to vaccinate pups, it's a code of ethics thing. But it is based upon older vaccines, their efficacy and recommendtions. The area of vaccines development and use is in constant flux, and sometimes things like codes of ethics can be behind the more up to date developments in such a field.

AVA, manufacturer and Govt recommendations would be more important, and would be what the code of ethics looked to when and if they are updated.

So the more modern recommendations of 36 hours for effectiveness, and different age brackets for administration are not necessarily against the code of ethics, just more recent than it is.