Leaving An Old Dog To Go On Holidays

wagsalot

My OH has been bugging me for a holiday to the US next year, and also to England to visit some relo's.

It would probably be a 3 week trip.

Theres quite a few factors that won't let us go (so its pretty unlikely it will happen), but also I hate the thought of leaving Riley for 3 weeks, as he'd then be 11 and a half.

As much as he's really good at the moment, in good health etc I just think theres always the chance something could happen, and I don't think I could ever forgive myself if he died while I was away.

Does anyone else start thinking like this now their dogs getting older?

Yes. My oldest boy is coming on for 14 and I will travel less from here on while he's alive.

That said, you can't put your life on hold.

I leave my guys with friends I trust do to what's necessary and they know who my vet is. That's my "insurance" against losing a dog.

If he's in good health, I'd go. Get a vet check beforehand if that will give you more confidence.

Edited by poodlefan

Well, it may be a legitimate concern, as it is a possibility that the old fella might go in your absence...but then he may not...especially if left in a loving caring environment with friends or family he knows. My Mum left her old dog in a kennel and came back to him gone, which was very sad...and shocking for her as the stress may have tipped him.

I guess the bottom line is that it could happen but if you weigh things up and do your best to leave him in a loving environment, and weigh things up with needing a holiday for you and OH, hopefully you can arrive at a decision that you feel okay with.

My parents 12 yo dog regularly comes to stay here. She is deaf as a post and partly blind but she seems to like coming here. She knows us and our house well and adores the kids and appears comfortable. Saying that, I don't think she would cope with a kennel situation. Each situation is different, do you have someone your dog knows well?

Thats another problem we would have, my parents and my aunty and uncle would be overseas also, and they are the only ones that have ever looked after Riley, so I wouldn't even have anyone he knows to leave him with.

I highly doubt the trip will happen (we have a house renovation planned so that will suck most of our budget :heart:) but I was curious if I was the only that thought on the "morbid side" of things.

ETA I left him for 2.5 weeks a few months back with my parents while I was overseas, but he was 9 then. 11.5 just scares me. I don't want him to get old :heart:

Edited by wagsalot

I highly doubt the trip will happen (we have a house renovation planned so that will suck most of our budget :thumbsup:) but I was curious if I was the only that thought on the "morbid side" of things.

You're not the only one.

I wasn't prepared to leave my old girl for holidays etc the last couple years of her life - lost her last September.

This year I'm only having fosters so I can have a trip!

I haven't been anywhere for several years now because of Grumpy's age, that he freaks out now in the car, and that I cannot leave him with anyone. I will not kennel a 15-year-old dog. It's unfair on him and it's unfair to expect anyone to take care of him given his diminishing eyesight and faculties. He's an inside dog so I can't just get someone to stick a bowl of food out for him. I understood this may happen when I got him. I'm the only person he has.

I leave mine at home and get a dog sitter in to stay but even then there are some limitations to that. I ahev a special needs boy who currently comes with me but is 11yrs so I can see very shortly my travelling will be very limited for a while

I've just come back from 7 weeks in Africa and left Miss Em (and young Kenzie) here at home. Before going it was immensely stressful. Emma is diabetic and with her eye problems was on about 8-10 different medications at least twice daily!!! I was at the point of thinking I should cancel my trip, but realistically life does have to go on. But I went and I was able to have a very good trusted friend (who is a stay at home Mum and also a nurse) stay in my home to look after the girls. Emma also had a 2 week stay with my parents. I'd already discussed with everyone the "what if's". But I knew that she was with people who love and adore her and if I couldn't be with her then at least she had them.

Being the wonderous girl she is, she was fine the whole time I was away!!!! Of course I got back and her health had some major hiccups (on the road to improvement at the moment!!!)! I have to say the first week I was away I was worried I'd come home to only 1 dog, and the last 2 days that worry came back. But the rest of the time I jjust enjoyed myself - you still need to have a life.

But in short, yes I think all of us dog people with an older dog worry about what will happen. If you have someone who you trust with your dog then you'll find that really there is a lot less to worry about!

I can't give a definitive answer on your particular dog with age considerations. However my own Jack Russell, a fairly long lived breed has in the last 12 months been boarded for short times with no obvious detriment.

You could try and see how he goes for shorter periods before leaving him for the 3 weeks, or wait until your usual carers are again available. Suffice to say some kennels are better than others, do your research.

I've been looking after my sister's old dog (Bearded Collie - 15 years) for the past 3 weeks. The thought went through my mind at the beginning of his stay (ie "what if the worst happened on my shift?") and although she didn't voice it, I'm fairly certain my sister had thoughts of "what if something happens" as well.

As someone has said - you can't put your life on hold indefinitely. Three weeks is not too long :D.

One thing that both my sister and I know we'd both be thinking (even though we haven't voiced it) is that at least Monty is with someone he knows and trusts and would not be alone nor without the best of whatever care and attention I could provide and give.

ETA: BTW ..... Monty has been absolutely fine and I truly think he's enjoyed his own little 'holiday' of 'something different' and of course, Mandela's company. The time has gone so quickly.

Edited by Erny

My OH has been bugging me for a holiday to the US next year, and also to England to visit some relo's.

It would probably be a 3 week trip.

Theres quite a few factors that won't let us go (so its pretty unlikely it will happen), but also I hate the thought of leaving Riley for 3 weeks, as he'd then be 11 and a half.

As much as he's really good at the moment, in good health etc I just think theres always the chance something could happen, and I don't think I could ever forgive myself if he died while I was away.

Does anyone else start thinking like this now their dogs getting older?

Thank you for raising this subject. It is important. Our old fragile dogs do not do so well in a kennel (even though the kennel staff will tell you otherwise) or anywhere else for that matter, when we go away and leave them, I know that.

But there are times when we have to go away dammit, so what do we do?

Younger and middle aged dogs cope a lot better and are not a neurotic, demented bag of bones when you get back. But the elderly dogs who are just plodding along that final path to doggy heaven and enjoying the extra care you give them, well, they go downhill seriously. This has been my experience anyway.

We have had dogs that loved kennels (and thankfully still do in their senior years), we have had the dogs who hated kennels and needed a familiar face or environment.

We have used kennels, sitters, friends, neighbours, rellies, and strangers who love to have dogs in their home. I really don't think there is anything that we haven't tried.

For the ones that hate kennels, please, please get somebody into their life who loves them as much as you - well almost as much. Have this angelic person meet them and greet them about a year before you go away. While you are at work, or out shopping, this angel has to come and visit them, play with them, take them to the park and do all the good things in doggy life. They will adore her/him and look forward to every visit ... and the overnight stays at the sitters home. By the time you go away you will find that it is no drama for them to spend a few weeks with this person. And yes, they will still love you on your return.

We used to have one of those angels in our lives, the best friend of the kennel-hating dog, but life has a way of changing and they are now not around.

That is how life is sometimes.

So, on this last occasion we said our final goodbyes the day before flying out. Kennelling was just not OK for this one, fine for the other dogs but not this fragile one. The health issues were chronic and this was now a palliative care pet, and the cleaning up was definitely not pretty. We knew that this time was different and we knew what we had to do. On our return we collected the ashes and when we were ready, we took our old friend to his favourite park. The council had recently planted some brand new trees, which he would have duly watered for them, and we surreptitiously rearranged the woodchips and placed his ashes there, and then put the woodchips back in place. We think it is a spot that he would have liked. Now, I am not advocating that everyone turn the local park into a burial ground but it was appropriate for this dog and I think a ranger might have understood if he had known the dog. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. The ranger could have dragged Souff to the local court, I would not have cared. But I digress.

How was it going away immediately after that? Damned awful. Sadness is sooo heavy to carry around, tissues were needed, but as there was a lot to do in strange places and you have to be on the ball to stay safe when travelling, sadness gradually gets pushed to the back of the mind for a while.

I know that we had chosen the better option but gosh it was hard.

There are now 2 gaps in our lives. Our very old canine friend ..... AND that special friend who can be a substitute for us when we have to go away and leave another aging pooch.

Sorry to be so melancholy, but the hard lesson learned here is that we MUST have somebody there for the old and fragile dogs.

Somebody who has been their trusted friend for a while, no surprises, and who are there for the old dogs when we cannot be there for them.

Terribly important. Don't leave it until you are ready to go away, start a year before and stress that you need commitment. This is a long term affair!

When you have that person in place, you will know then that you can then go away and the dog is fine. Cost? Less than kennelling.

Peace of mind is a beautiful thing - especially when you are travelling.

Souff

• Like 1

My eldest is 15 and now blind. If we have to go away, I get someone in to dog sit him here, as he does not handle change well now. He likes his routine, he likes knowing his way around, he likes knowing all the right spots to pee etc etc.

My sister has come and dog sat, and I've also had a friend come.

It also helps that we have quite a few dogs, so I could not afford to kennel them all anyway. But I would not move Andre, he deserves that.

I worry about leaving my 8 year old staffy at the kennels - I dread the thought of leaving her and it tears my heart out to think that she couls pass away while I am gone.

I leave the Pets at Peace details with the kennel and do up laminated sheets for them to attach to both her indoor and out door kennels that has all her details, PAP details and her vets details.

I also call Shane at Pets at Peace and let him know when I'm leaving, when I'm getting back and tell him which kennel she is at (I work for PAP so it's not like some random ringing him). He knows what he has to do with her (she will be stored) until I return home from holidays if anything should ever happen.

And this is how worried I am with a perfectly healthy dog!

Id never leave Riley in kennels. He wouldn't cope, no matter what age he was. I have posted once before how he's only ever stayed with my parents if I was away. He's never been to kennels, never been left at the vet (Except when he was a pup to be desexed), never left at groomers etc. He's never had to before.

If we did go (Which isn't looking likely, which pleases me :o ) Id get a friend to stay at our house with Riley. That way his routine would stay the same at least, and he'd be in a familiar place.

Edited by wagsalot

I totally agree with everything that you say, but after running a small boarding kennel I can tell you the 99.9% of the dogs I mind are so happy and drag the owners here on repeat stays. Some owners even get offended that the dogs are happy to hang out with me when they return.

Dogs are so awesome, and live in the now, quickly adapt to the new routine.....unlike us stressed out owners.:thumbsup:

Just do some research, find a kennel you like, not all are massive and uncaring. I always email photos to the dogs owners, some kennels even have live feeds to the internet for the owners to view.

I totally agree with everything that you say, but after running a small boarding kennel I can tell you the 99.9% of the dogs I mind are so happy and drag the owners here on repeat stays. Some owners even get offended that the dogs are happy to hang out with me when they return.

Dogs are so awesome, and live in the now, quickly adapt to the new routine.....unlike us stressed out owners.:thumbsup:

Just do some research, find a kennel you like, not all are massive and uncaring. I always email photos to the dogs owners, some kennels even have live feeds to the internet for the owners to view.

It isn't a matter of a kennel being uncaring, it's a matter of an old dog not coping. It's about the dog not about yours or anyone else's kennel.

Sheridan, not sure what you mean? I mind plenty of old dogs, they are still dogs, have the same needs, what is your point?

My point is the dogs cope better than we do, even when they are old, just need to find the right carer/kennel that you have faith in, as I said.:confused:

I agree, but like Sheridan said, there is sometimes a dog that does not cope well. In our case, our dog had dementia and a number of other age related issues and on the previous occasion of kenneling he went severely downhill. In earlier years he enjoyed the kennels and he was just fine on our return back then. Dogs with dementia and age related illness should be kept in their normal routine, or as close to it, when owners are away. Much kinder.

Souff