Whats In A Name?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We named our dog Digby because it seemed to suit him. But apparently it means "town by a ditch" how awful! :rofl:

I would say he does not share the characteristics of a town near a ditch.

my boy is K9

OH named him this because K9 was Dr who's faithful traveling companion.need i say OH is a bit of a dr who fan.

the fact that he was about 12 weeks old when we found him dumped at the river, and all we knew about his breading was he was a dog, had nothing to do with it. :rofl:

he's now about 4 and the most loyal, loving dog i've owned.

though he still looks like a mutt

My first border collie was born on the 4th April so my mum suggested we call her April.

Several months before getting April we had a torty cat so called her Coco.

Next came my son's dog who is a charcoal colour so her name is Sooty.

After April died & I was going to get my next border collie, a 6 hour drive away from home & on the way went through a baby name book & didn't like anything there. After seeing her for the first time still couldn't think of a name. Sitting in the motel that night waiting for oh to get ready for dinner I suddenly thought, Tilba. We had stopped off at Central Tilba for lunch that day & as she was born a short drive away in Cobargo. I liked the idea straight away, told oh, who didn't much mind, he had a Tilly as a child. Now 3 yrs on, I can't imagine her called anything else.

I can't say they took on the meanings of their names, other than April means born in April, Sooty means sooty coloured. Not sure about the others.

Guest english.ivy

Badgers reg name is Astro Boy [i got to pick his name] and yep, he's a kid at heart with super Pointee powers :laugh:

He even has jets in his paws.

I'm a little superstitious about what I name my animals, they always seem to live up to them so I don't like to name them anything that means something bad or a character that dies horribly.

We'll soon be adding a new puppy to our family. My husband and a good friend want to call him Dexter .. named after the TV series of the same name (I'm definitely not a fan of the TV series). :eek:

When I was young I had a GSP called Pal. He went to a farm (I mean he was really shipped off to a farm) when he grabbed me around the neck. He deveopled attachment issues with my then infant sister and turned on me. Our second dog was a CCR also called Pal, and he was. We had a cat called PP (initials).

When my hubby and I got together we got a mastiff/great dane X we called him Cafall (after King Arthurs dog). Whilst out walking him I heard meowing from under a bridge and found a kitten, who from that moment on was called Troll. My husband found us a ginger kitten which we assumed was male, so he was named Danny John-Jules after the guy who played cat on Red Dwarf. Became known as Jules when it turned out he had ovaries. Then a litter of kittens were bought into the vet clinic, we took 2, a ginger boy we named Fergus (means red haired) he is now known as furryguts, and a tabby with white paws we named Olwyn (means white footprints) she is Winnie. The poodle is called Ceredwen after the Celtic goddess of knowledge, nah that did not rub off. She gets called Winnie. The next dog ( we want a male black CCR) will be called Loki.

I do believe my hubby and I are more imaginative with Pet names than my parents.