How To Keep An Older Dog Warm Outside During The Day?

charliehotel

I have an old boy who is starting to feel the cold. He's inside with us at night and the days when I'm at home, but 3 days a week I work so he has to be outside (I've tried leaving him inside all day when I'm at work and that was a disaster). We don't have a garage, and he hates kennels. When he has to be outside, he's got a comfy trampoline bed with multiple blankets under the carport that is safely out of the wind and rain, but I'm starting to think he might need some kind of a coat to wear while he's outside. Down here winter has come early and already been bitterly cold on some days. Is it safe to leave a coat on a dog all day while he's outside? If so, can anyone recommend a good one? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

a trampoline bed is a very cold bed, IMO :(

I think the best bed for him would be something SOLID .. with at least two high sides, and a flat solid draft proof base . The cold air can cool the bottom of the tramp. bed ..and flow all round it and over it with no barrier :(

even an old fridge .stove carton .. with two sides left on (no roof if he hates kennels )..and lots of newspaper layers to insulate the floor - plus some light cuddly blankets /polar fleece or wool :) cheap ,and cardboard is surprisingly warm and a good insulator!

you can have10 blankets on a dog bed- but if there are no sides- it is still cold .....

I guess I should have provided more detail than saying that his bed is out of the wind and rain. His bed is in an area under the carport up against the side of the house, and has been fully draft proofed with walls on three sides (the fourth side is open so he can get in). The trampoline bed itself has a Snooza dog futon as a mattress, plus 3 pure wool blankets for him to nestle into. The whole bed area is on a piece of carpet so that it's not bare concrete.

My old boys wear coats all day if the weather is bad, and they even have access to inside the house! There may be some risk of them catching it on something and getting stuck, but it's never happened with my boys.

What breed is he? I'd never leave a coat on a long coated dog, for example. Mine wore coats last night (they're mini schnauzers so they get clipped). My house is freezing. When they woke up they were actually very hot. Unless you own a greyhound or a whippet, I'd rather provide warm bedding so they can choose whether to use it or not (which is what you're doing anyway).

Unless you own a greyhound or a whippet, I'd rather provide warm bedding so they can choose whether to use it or not (which is what you're doing anyway).

I am of this mind as well :)

Old dogs often lie in the sun ..and may get a bit warm with a coat on , perhaps?

I think this old man is well catered for , by the sound of it :)

Thanks everyone. He's a short haired dog (no idea what mix, as he's a rescue dog) with a short coat like a staffy or boxer. Even though his bed is warm, I think I'll get him a light coat for the really bad winter days that have no chance of sunshine. This past week in Melbourne has been a taste of the winter we are going to get, and some days it was bitterly cold and wet. I'd get home from work and he'd be in his bed shivering :( . I was worried about him wearing a coat all day and it getting caught on something, but from what people have posted, he should be okay. Thanks again for the advice!

I have a similar problem to you!

Emma seems to be a bit of a nuffy when it comes to finding the warm/cosy places. She always chooses to sleep on the concrete even though she has 3 different types of beds to choose from outside. And if it's raining she'll also just hang out in her favourite place getting wet! Today she was left outside for about an hour or so and my friend came home to find her curled up on the concrete trying to get into the tiniest ball she could to keep warm. And she was cold when she was brought inside. So it looks like I'm going back to her staying in the house all the time unless someone is at home with her and can supervise her going outside and not getting too cold.

Unfortunately she's long haired (only unfortunate in this respect, otherwise I love her silky locks!) so I'm really reluctant to put a coat on her. But if anyone has any recommendations of a way to deal with a long haired dog in this sort of circumstance I'd love to hear about it!!