People Who Cannot Control Their Dogs.

mr.mister

OH and I were walking out the door of his place yesterday when we notice his next door neighbour. She lets her Dane X out of the yard to put him into her car - no lead or anything, and next minute, of course, he bolts. He starts doing huge zoomies around the street, zigzagging the road and nearly getting hit by a car. The lady attempts feebly to call him back - to absolutely no avail. I'm watching the dog running along the opposite side of the street, when suddenly, he seems to go into prey-hunting mode and starts sprinting. I'm wondering what on earth is going on when I finally see what he's 'hunting'. A poor middle-aged lady minding her own business walking down the footpath. We're both frozen in horror as the dog swerves at the last minute, but then starts bailing the poor lady up. She's pushed right up against the fence, quite terrified.

Through all of this, the owner is strolling over to her dog, calling it to come and looking apologetic. She takes her absolute bloody time getting to the dog and the poor terrified woman, but then when she gets there the dog goes and sprints up the road and out of sight.

I drove off after that, but it made me so angry and I felt terrible for the poor woman being bailed up. Why is it so hard to clip a leash on a dog? Why is it so hard to teach a dog basic obedience?

Ugh. Rant over. :mad:

OH and I were walking out the door of his place yesterday when we notice his next door neighbour. She lets her Dane X out of the yard to put him into her car - no lead or anything, and next minute, of course, he bolts. He starts doing huge zoomies around the street, zigzagging the road and nearly getting hit by a car. The lady attempts feebly to call him back - to absolutely no avail. I'm watching the dog running along the opposite side of the street, when suddenly, he seems to go into prey-hunting mode and starts sprinting. I'm wondering what on earth is going on when I finally see what he's 'hunting'. A poor middle-aged lady minding her own business walking down the footpath. We're both frozen in horror as the dog swerves at the last minute, but then starts bailing the poor lady up. She's pushed right up against the fence, quite terrified.

Through all of this, the owner is strolling over to her dog, calling it to come and looking apologetic. She takes her absolute bloody time getting to the dog and the poor terrified woman, but then when she gets there the dog goes and sprints up the road and out of sight.

I drove off after that, but it made me so angry and I felt terrible for the poor woman being bailed up. Why is it so hard to clip a leash on a dog? Why is it so hard to teach a dog basic obedience?

Ugh. Rant over. :mad:

Dont' rant. Report. If people can't motivate themselves to control their dogs, the council might do the trick. That was enough to see the dog declared as dangerous.

Yeah I agree. Report it. I feel bad for the dog if it is declared dangerous because that whole sitaution was avoidable if the owner had just put a leash on the darn dog, hopefully she will get a warning and might pull her head in and it won't happen again. If it does happen again there is a previous report for the council to refer back to.

Unbelievable.

I had a kelpie the other night run up to me and my OH but thankfully he was friendly, i knocked on the house he was sniffing out the front of assuming it was his house. A lady answered and goes nah he is the neighbours dog and is always out. That man was just standing there watching his dog run up to us 20m down the road. He seen us go up to the house and didn't even say anything or call his dog back? its like he wanted me to take him. Some people just confuse me at how easily they can let their dog run around all over the road. Lucky i dont have a fear of dogs otherwise that could have been very scary for someone.

Our neighbours' dog is always getting out. One time we tried to call the dog over, but it wouldn't come to us. Hubby went over to let them know their dog was running around in the road and making the dogs across the road go off (they were being VERY noisy, and kept at it for about 20 minutes, which is what made us look outside to see what was going on)

When they opened the door for hubby their dog ran inside, and the guy claimed he didn't even know he was out.

Encountering loose dogs is pretty common around here, I have reported several incidences where I have felt that my dogs have been in danger of being attacked.

Report it.

I've never reported someone before, how do you go about it? Also, she is my OH's next door neighbours, not mine, and well.. she's just a bit of a bogan to put it gently. She seems nice enough but I think could easily become a nightmare neighbour. Myself and OH were the only witnesses I could see, so would I be causing issues for OH's family if I did report?

Report it.

Yes, I actually take photos of this sort of thing on my phone to eliminate the she said he said scenario if I need to take these situations further and find myself quite annoyed at these occurences which happen too often for my liking. Some people do drop the ball and make an error and are genuinely sorry, but some are unbelievable and I have had them yell at me for offering some friendly advice how to better manange their dog for the dog's saftey and everyone elses. Some do need reporting I agree and a ranger's attendence may be enough to correct the errors of their ways.

I agree with the others who said you should report it.

I have reported a neighbour, whose human and dog aggressive amstaff cross was regularly out on the road with nobody to be seen, after it attacked me and my dog one morning. Less than 5 minutes after I called animal control, the ranger was there trying to talk to the owner (who wasn't home, who would have thought?), found the dog roaming the streets and took him to the pound.

I have also recently been rushed at (in two separate instances!) by a large rottweiler and the aggressive large boxer down the road, and I adore (large) dogs, especially rottweilers, so I can only imagine how someone who's afraid of dogs would have felt (I know my heart missed a beat or two). I regret not having reported those instances, especially since the boxer is about to pop out a colourbond panel one of these days when it charges at the fence (it's already completely bent and looks like it's very close to coming out). I'm actually thinking about putting a note about it in their mailbox.

I don't know where you live or how your council deals with these things, but I know the rangers here are very helpful.

Edit: I just saw that you live in Bendigo! So do I. It's pretty bad up here, even a behaviourist that came up here last week mentioned that she noticed it straight away when driving up. But at least the rangers are good, so definitely report it!

Edited by trojka

I've been known to stop my car, open the door, and if the dog jumps in, take it to the nearest vet clinic or pound and drop it off as a stray...

If I know the dog, and it's normally kept secure in it's yard, I'll take it home and make sure it can't get out again.

My own dogs are locked in my house when I'm not home - no real chance of them getting out and terrorising the neighbourhood - and if we are going out somewhere, they are on lead and secure with me BEFORE I open the door.

T.

The lady who got bailed up was also a witness, I'm sure bogan lass would assume the complaint came from her.

And for good bloody reason. Poor lady must have been terrified!

As I drove off the owner and the lady were talking; I have no idea what they said to each other. I will definitely look into reporting it though - but I will consider all possible consequences before I do so.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

I would report it, council are not allowed to say who put the report in so she wouldn't know for sure who did it and personally I think she would presume it was the lady who the dog actually bailed up.

Nothing may happen over this occurance but it will be on record and if anything else comes up it is an extra strike against the person/dog, which in the end may help in preventing something which could end up much worse.

Ugh- this is something that yes, you do need to report- the situation could've been so much worse. It is really frustrating, and at times it's difficult to take the action...we had a person who lives in our street who constantly let his dog loose in the front yard, and of course it used to trot off to everyone's houses for a visit. The dog on it's own was quite harmless, very people friendly, but it used to stir everyone elses dogs up constantly, running up and down their fence lines, and standing on it's hind legs with feet on the fence. The final straw came when my OH was walking our dogs and the dog charged out onto the street and tried to grab one of the dogs...the guy just shrugged and walked over to finally grab his dog. After that I reported him.

Think it through - you really cant ethically get out of reporting it even though we live in a culture that teaches us not to dob people in.

If you do nothing for what ever reason and someone gets hurt next time or the dog is run over etc then you may have been able to prevent it .

Apart from this the really big deal is how these idiots and their lack of respect for anyone else impacts on what we can and cant do with our dogs.

We end up with more laws and more restriction on us and our dogs because of this kind of crappy irresponsible behaviour.

yep, thoroughly sick of our next door neighbours dog in our property, tipping our bin over, pooping everywhere, and last night he took my farm boots which were on the door mat as they were muddy - great I now have 1 boot and the other is god knows where, and the neighbours just laugh it off and refuse to contain their dog in any way at all.

It just astonishes me at how stupid people are becoming. There's a definite lack of common sense and it gives me the s**ts too. Logic would state that if the dog bolts once in the front yard, put it on a leash because it's not going to just wake up one day and think "I'm actually just going to get in the car now". :rolleyes:

I can understand how people have trouble training their dogs though. I'm still working on Zeus's recall (he'll be 2 at the end of next month) and while he's not perfect, we're both getting better. He still pulls on the lead and also takes off if he gets out the front gate, however, he's been taught that he's not to go out the front unless I say he can so he'll sit and wont barge out. The only thing I do take pride in is that I'm not a moron when it comes to his behaviour (at least I don't think so anyway). I know that he'll take off if given the chance so I make sure I don't provide him with the opportunity to do so and if we're going for a drive and my car's out the front, I'll put him on a lead so he can't escape.

I honestly don't think it's hard to use common sense but these days, it's totally become a real effort. :rolleyes: :hitself::confused:

Think it through - you really cant ethically get out of reporting it even though we live in a culture that teaches us not to dob people in.

If you do nothing for what ever reason and someone gets hurt next time or the dog is run over etc then you may have been able to prevent it .

Apart from this the really big deal is how these idiots and their lack of respect for anyone else impacts on what we can and cant do with our dogs.

We end up with more laws and more restriction on us and our dogs because of this kind of crappy irresponsible behaviour.

At the moment, my main concern holding me back is that she will become a nightmare for my OH and his family - and, as bad as it may sound, they are my priority in the situation. Nothing to do with not wanting to be a 'dobber'. I have, however, contacted the council for details on reporting as they only had information on their site about dangerous dogs who specifically "attacked a person and caused serious injury". Still awaiting a reply, and in the meantime I will be keeping an eye out whenever I am at OH's place for any other stupid behaviour on the dog owner's part.