What Would Be The "right" Thing To Do?

I love how people love to come onto these threads and comment that they never go to dog parks. Would you all like a t-shirt, perhaps, that says "And THAT'S why I never go to dog parks!" Vindicated yet again? Does your heart rate pick up every time you see a thread that in some way mentions dog parks as you anticipate another opportunity to proclaim to the world that you are too smart and sensible to use them? Even when no one actually asked you? Or the topic is specifically about what to do when in a dog park? Which you never go to... :D

:shrug: Some of us use them a lot and just don't have a lot of troubles with them. No one ever asks us how we do it. It's not pure luck.

Before anyone gets defensive, I'm just poking fun. I've been watching too much Hungry Beast and learning about hate-following. Ask yourselves, are you hate-following? ;)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really NOT "dogs being dogs". "Dogs being dogs" have blues that are mostly noise. A dangerous dog by definition is likely to cause damage, which this dog did. How can you say that is not dangerous? The husky had to go to the vet!

They do, who says?

Roger Abrantes, off the top of my head. I'm sure I could find more if I looked. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't even be able to have dog parks. And I sure as hell would never take my dogs to them if there were even a 50% chance that fights would result in injury. Kivi's good at keeping out of trouble, but Erik not so much. He's good at asking a bit too nicely for a dog to leave him alone and then exploding after the dog ignores him for about the fourth time.

So a dog that wrestles and doesnt draw blood is acceptable?

Of course much of this depends on how you define 'injury'.

I love how people love to come onto these threads and comment that they never go to dog parks. Would you all like a t-shirt, perhaps, that says "And THAT'S why I never go to dog parks!" Vindicated yet again? Does your heart rate pick up every time you see a thread that in some way mentions dog parks as you anticipate another opportunity to proclaim to the world that you are too smart and sensible to use them? Even when no one actually asked you? Or the topic is specifically about what to do when in a dog park? Which you never go to... :D

:shrug: Some of us use them a lot and just don't have a lot of troubles with them. No one ever asks us how we do it. It's not pure luck.

Before anyone gets defensive, I'm just poking fun. I've been watching too much Hungry Beast and learning about hate-following. Ask yourselves, are you hate-following? ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leela17:

back to the topic... I think that dog parks are fine, as long as you have effective control over your dog, you wont have any problems... if a dog came barrelling into max he would turn around and start playing with that dog - he loves rough and tumble. if it happened to jenna I think she would've put her ears back and run away. lol... some dogs react differently.

You level of control alone will not prevent problems. I hope you realise that its whether or not OTHER dog owners have effective control of their dogs that determines how many 'problems' you'll have.

Some dogs are simply unsuitable for dog parks.. the very young, the very old, the timid or highly submissive and very dominant and reactive. That does't even take into account dogs with a history of serious aggression towards others.

In a stable community dog park where most owners are 'knowns' many dogs won't have issues. Sadly, all it takes is one wrong dog to create a nightmare for others. Some chose to take the risk (and I take Corvus's point that there are ways to minimise it) and others don't.

I'm in the "don't" category because, in my opinion, most my dogs aren't suitable to be there and I can't rely on others to make that judgement.

So a dog that wrestles and doesnt draw blood is acceptable?

So a dog that draws blood is acceptable?

I didn't say anything about acceptable. I merely said a dog being a dog doesn't tend to injure other dogs when they are having a barney. If you want to consider a fight where another dog is injured as acceptable on the grounds that it's "dogs being dogs", then I disagree because I don't think injuring other dogs is typical dog behaviour.

Of course much of this depends on how you define 'injury'.

:shrug: I'm talking about physical injuries. A physical injury is a physical injury. As in damage to tissue. I'll make it easy for you and say damage you can find evidence of. I'm hard-pressed to find a mild bruise on a dog.

Edited for clarity

Edited by corvus

Before this gets out of hand just stop for a minute and think.

I think I could safely say that NOBODY on this forum cares or gives a dam if you want to take your dog/s to a dog park.

That's your right of choice.

But don't come on Forums and complain when a dog fights breaks out.

You as dog owners should take into account not every dog is well trained or obedient.

Some dogs by the sheer virtue of their nature can be more prone to Hyper activity and can stir other dogs up.

Also take take into account that not all owners think the same as you. By some of the accounts that have been reported on this Forum

some owners just don't seem to care if their dog is NOT a suitable candidate for a multi dog situation.

If you go to Dog Parks be aware that NOT ALL dogs want to play nicely.

As I said prior if you want to go to Dog Parks always Expect The Unexpected.

I think I could safely say that NOBODY on this forum cares or gives a dam if you want to take your dog/s to a dog park.

You as dog owners should take into account not every dog is well trained or obedient.

Some dogs by the sheer virtue of their nature can be more prone to Hyper activity and can stir other dogs up.

Also take take into account that not all owners think the same as you. By some of the accounts that have been reported on this Forum

some owners just don't seem to care if their dog is NOT a suitable candidate for a multi dog situation.

I completely agree with you oakway on the 'expect the unexpected' - the thing I don't agree with you about was that going to a dog park is eventually going to lead to seeing dogs fight... as some of us have said on here - some of us have NEVER seen a dog fight that has been serious, as in leading to blood shed (not that other dog fights ARENT serious).

And I think everyone who goes to a dog park would be stupid to think that all dogs want to play nicely. Again, we are just saying from experience that dog fights aren't as common as people think.

And I think people have every right to come on here and talk about a fight they've seen - plus, the OP was actually asking for advice on whether or not she should report the owners etc, not just to bitch about the dog fight.

I completely agree with you oakway on the 'expect the unexpected' - the thing I don't agree with you about was that going to a dog park is eventually going to lead to seeing dogs fight... as some of us have said on here - some of us have NEVER seen a dog fight that has been serious, as in leading to blood shed (not that other dog fights AREN'T serious).

And I think everyone who goes to a dog park would be stupid to think that all dogs want to play nicely. Again, we are just saying from experience that dog fights aren't as common as people think.

And I think people have every right to come on here and talk about a fight they've seen - plus, the OP was actually asking for advice on whether or not she should report the owners etc, not just to bitch about the dog fight.

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already said "I" was not referring to the the OP.

I said stop complaining, not stop reporting.

Most of us are just plain sick and tired of these reports (I know I am) of what happens at Dog Parks.

What we are saying is, that if you frequent Dog Parks these incidents MAY happen and be aware of it.

What some of us are trying to tell people reading this out there that dog fights happen and they appear to be more frequent at Dog Parks. NOBODY said that they were the norm. :)

I completely agree with you oakway on the 'expect the unexpected' - the thing I don't agree with you about was that going to a dog park is eventually going to lead to seeing dogs fight... as some of us have said on here - some of us have NEVER seen a dog fight that has been serious, as in leading to blood shed (not that other dog fights AREN'T serious).

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us are just plain sick and tired of these reports (I know I am) of what happens at Dog Parks.

What we are saying is, that if you frequent Dog Parks these incidents MAY happen and be aware of it.

What some of us are trying to tell people reading this out there that dog fights happen and they appear to be more frequent at Dog Parks. NOBODY said that they were the norm. :)

hahahahah oh im sorry oakway. I dont like being one of those people that make others repeat themselves over and over again. I am in a completely different headspace atm as I am extremely sick and im just completely loopy!

lol im sorry for making u feel like u needed to keep backing up what you were saying! I know what it is like to have to repeat yourself a million times to make people understand what you are trying to say!!!

Does that include expecting a completely uneventful trip to the park? :)

Not if that's what you're expecting. :lollipop:

I seriously think everyone is a little off the handle today... lol is it a full moon? all the crazies are coming out. :rofl:

I seriously think everyone is a little off the handle today... lol is it a full moon? all the crazies are coming out. :rofl:

I am going to take a bex and have a good lay down :rofl:

LMAO. I am pretty sure it was a full moon last night or the night before. But usually the effects start a few days before and last a few days after hehe.

ETA - Just checked Tuesday was Full Moon!

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

LMAO. I am pretty sure it was a full moon last night or the night before. But usually the effects start a few days before and last a few days after hehe.

ETA - Just checked Tuesday was Full Moon!

well there you go!!! told you!!! lol

omg. hahaha so funny. :laugh:

My view is that I'll take the risk - I'm always on high alert not just to what Boonie is up to but what the other dogs around are up to.

I have seen maybe 3 fights in a year and none have been all that serious and all were broken up by their owners right as they happened.

I'll take the risk of Boonie getting into a scrap to let him enjoy the type of play he can get at a Dog Park that I've yet to find he can get anywhere else. Truth is most of the dogs that go to our park are regulars and Boonie knows who plays in his style and who doesn't.

I take Oakway's point - I'm always on guard about a fight, but I think the positives definitely outweight the negatives.

The Dog Park has been a great tool for breaking prejudices I had about other breeds also. Boonie's best play friends down the park happen to be a Bull Terrier, Staffy and GSD. I would have been quite wary of these types of dogs pre dog park.

If you go to dog parks with dogs off lead expect this to happen.

Their dogs, there lose, if you put your dog into this environment expect fights to happen.

Why blame the dogs????? after all, as I said, they are dogs.

Why blame the owners, their dog is most likely the best behaved dog home.

I believe that if dog parks are going to continue you had all better learn to put up with dog fights. (or don't go)

Report them ?, what for ?, their dog was just as much fault as the other.

They are dogs, they do not always ask politely or excuse themselves when incidents happen, then all hell breaks lose.

Go have a look in the local school yard you will see the same type of thing happening.

All you would say is kids will be kids. Well dogs will be dogs.

The only people that really win in these cases are the lawyers that pocket the fees.

Yes, I am agreeing on this point here and it doesnt matter whos at fault when you carry dog home in a box to plant him under the tree. No dog is garantee to being effective on control without a leash and my opinion is you go to the dog park at owners risk. When you doing the right thing walking to dog on leash and an off leash dog attack is different and having a law to use for the blaming, but off leash dog park for the prosecuting success pfffff best wishes I am saying.

Joe

Actually Joe K you will find that all dog parks have signs that tell you that to use the park your dog must not be dangerous and must be under effective voice control at all times. This makes anyone who goes into a park liable if their dog causes harm to another dog. If my dog was attacked and injured in a dog park I can absolutely guarantee you those people would be paying for my dogs vet fees and recovery. They would also be reported to council and their dog declared dangerous, I would make sure it happened to protect other people and their dogs.

I have to agree with Corvus. In the 4 years I have been going to dog parks etc on a regular occasion I am yet to see a dog fight that has been more than noise. No serious injuries, no injuries at all actually. I think the other thing about being a responsible owner is being able to read body language your own dogs and other dogs and know when to move away from a potentially dangerous dog, I can and I do, I avoided several unstable dogs at the park on Saturday afternoon and Phi and I had a great time (until I lost my keys that is haha, but that's another story).

We needing to be realistic on this point of blame regardless of what sign say when dogs are off the leash together. I mentioning before in another posting this happening with attack and what seemed a lovely lady she apologising, she offering to pay for the vet invoice and what she done is giving other lady of the injured dog false name and address and the bogus details and she disappear. So to begin with for prosecution, you needing to know properly who people are in the first place. Reporting on black dog that get into white car after attacking is good as useless on the reporting,yes? Is human nature for many people if thinking the trouble coming on to avoidance of it and not everyone is honest people.

Joe

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This what Oakway saying is common sense is like saying I am not wearing seat belt becuase I never had accident in the car. Maybe you dont having accident in the car or see dog fights at the park, but doesnt mean is safe to drive with no seatbelt or go to the dog park and you needing to remember that accidents can happen and there is ways to minimize the risk with things you cant controlling. You cant control idiot drive through the red light and hit you and you cant control idiot taking nasty dog into the park, but you can control some aspects to prevent these happenings or reducing the effects if it happens. Driving with no seat belt is same as dogs with no leash for my opinion?

Joe

Complaining about aggressions in off leash dog parks? Stop taking your dogs to the dog park if it bothers you because guess what, it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible.

Complaining about off leash dogs rushing your dogs while they walk? Stop taking your dogs for a walk if it bothers you because guess what, it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible.

Complaining about roaming dogs breaking into your backyard and attacking your dogs. Get real. Stop keeping your dogs in the backyard since it is unreasonable to expect other owners to be responsible.

That's where this kind of logic leads.

Seriously, for those who complain about people reporting dog park incidents, imagine how many times the forum users go to the dog parks and how many dog fight topics are started. It won't even be 1%. There are as many topics about dogs getting attacked while on a walk as there are about dog parks. Should people stop walking their dogs? We should all be able to use dog parks and responsibly manage our dogs. And we should also take the responsibility of reporting those who bring in aggressive dogs. Most dogs at the dog parks are good tempered dogs, even if they are not perfectly trained. I don't mind them. My dogs don't mind them. There are only a few trouble dogs, and from the OPs report, this staffy x was one of them.

And no, going to a dog park is not like driving without a seat belt because you've never had an accident. Going to a dog park is like driving every day, knowing full well that road accidents happen and you need to take reasonable care to ensure your safety.

Edited by Odin-Genie

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This what Oakway saying is common sense is like saying I am not wearing seat belt becuase I never had accident in the car. Maybe you dont having accident in the car or see dog fights at the park, but doesnt mean is safe to drive with no seatbelt or go to the dog park and you needing to remember that accidents can happen and there is ways to minimize the risk with things you cant controlling. You cant control idiot drive through the red light and hit you and you cant control idiot taking nasty dog into the park, but you can control some aspects to prevent these happenings or reducing the effects if it happens. Driving with no seat belt is same as dogs with no leash for my opinion?

Joe

I disagree with this analogy. If you don't wear a seat belt and you have a crash - you have a much higher chance of being killed. Crashes are unlikely and always going to be bad, but my sister wrote off a car and walked away practically unscathed because of a seatbelt. Seat belts don't prevent accidents, they reduce the damage caused by accidents.

Dogs and leads? A lead will not save your dog from other off-lead dogs - especially if your dog is too large to pick up. If a dog attacks your dog whilst your dog is on a lead, it will not walk away unscathed. It will prevent your dog from attacking others if that's the issue?

Unless you're saying that no-one should ever have their dogs off lead for any circumstances, but to me, that's the same as saying you should never go in a car... If you have learned to drive, or, trained your dog in good recall, well you have to balance risk control against enjoying your life.

Fact is, most dogs don't want to fight. They don't want to get injured, they don't see dogs as prey and many really appear to enjoy meeting new and old canine friends. Avoid the dog park if you don't have a social dog. I don't know about everyone else, but I have a dog who has no interest in chasing balls and frankly I get bored of walking and bike riding every day. His favourite thing in the whole world is the dog park - you should see how he lights up when I tell him that's where we're going.

So either go or don't, but you can't say that it's objectively the wrong or right thing for every dog.