Five-year-old Boy Injured In Dog Attack

dancinbcs

Article

A young boy will undergo surgery after being bitten on the face by a dog in Sydney's south.

The five-year-old was walking with a relative along George Street, in Waterloo, at about 4pm (AEST) on Saturday when the animal lunged at him, police said.

The dog was being walked on a leash when the attack took place.

It bit the boy on the face, leaving him with a number of marks.

He was taken to the Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick and will require minor surgery on one of his injuries.

Police are now hunting for the dog and its owner, and have appealed for help from the public.

The animal is said to be caramel coloured.

Poor boy but I wonder how they are going to make sure they find the right dog? There are lots of dogs that could be classed as "caramel coloured" and any witnesses are probably non-dog-savvy members of the public so any "caramel" coloured dog of the rough size could be caught up in this.

This finding to me is very distressing because whos fault here is the bloody relative if the dogs on the leash, should have keep the little boy away from the dog is my opinion. Is very bad how many people think is ok for their kids to run to strange dogs for a pat, this happens to me many times and lucky my wife Labrador is a nice boy and love a pat from the kids, but I having many of my old Shepherd Dogs not liking this giving shuddering up my neck to to think of it?

We not knowing what happening here, but is very danger for kids to approach strange dogs and if on the leashing, the dog is not a threat to anyone and should be leaving it alone. Is also bad idea for testing dog with kids unless you very confident of the dogs temperament to accept a pat. I seen this too last weekend a lady letting kid patting her dog when I seeing her dog is wary in the language on his body is insecure, he could easily snap like this and cause an injury to the kid and perhaps the dog be euthanase for the trouble. Is not necessary for dogs to interact with strange kids on the street, very stupid practicing on my opinion.

Joe

This isn't necessarily the kid or relatives fault. You can't assume that because a dog is on leash that it will be happy and friendly. I have a reactive dog who used to lunge at people when she was on lead (that is when she found people to be most threatening). I've worked very hard with her to make sure that she has learnt there are more appropriate ways to behave. But I am still very vigilant about her body language and behaviour because I don't want to end up in a situation like this.

There isn't enough information here to say who may be at fault. Maybe it's the child, maybe it's the owner of the dog for not ensuring their dog did not get in to this situation.

Either way it's awful that it happened and regardless of who is at fault will end up being another "black spot" against dogs in the community unfortunately.

The dog may have been on lead, but been at the end of a long lead and the child may have been on the otehr side of the footpath and the dog could reach - who knows?? I have seen quite a few dogs "on lead" that were not under very effective control. I don't think they have a very good chnace of finding the dog and I hope the child is not too traumatised

This isn't necessarily the kid or relatives fault. You can't assume that because a dog is on leash that it will be happy and friendly. I have a reactive dog who used to lunge at people when she was on lead (that is when she found people to be most threatening). I've worked very hard with her to make sure that she has learnt there are more appropriate ways to behave. But I am still very vigilant about her body language and behaviour because I don't want to end up in a situation like this.

There isn't enough information here to say who may be at fault. Maybe it's the child, maybe it's the owner of the dog for not ensuring their dog did not get in to this situation.

Either way it's awful that it happened and regardless of who is at fault will end up being another "black spot" against dogs in the community unfortunately.

Yes this true of course, it may be owner of the dog not giving enough space for the dog and kid where he had range on the leash to contact we dont knowing the detail is true? My point is noticing of the trend with kids running to the stanger and his dog which is happening to me on the walk more as time passes on where 10 year ago this rarely happening with the kids running to your dog for patting like it does now?

Joe

Yeah, I do think that kids are more likely to run up to strange dogs now than they were a few decades back. Not sure why that is, but we never would have dreamed of running up to a strange dog when I was a kid, but I've had it happen a few times to my current dog (who is not the kind of dog that looks particularly inviting - I can only imagine what it is like for owners of cuddlier looking breeds!)

Having said that, it seems that the dog owner is legally responsibility for keeping kids safe from the dog, no matter how irresponsible the child or the parents may be. It may not be fair, but it just seems to be the way things are. The dog owners didn't keep the kid safe, the kid paid for that, and if they get caught their dog will pay too. :(

KIds are more likely to run into strange dogs because more dogs are 'strange'. When I was growing up, no one fenced their dogs, and us kids knew all the neighbourhood dogs (including a great dane who liked to hump children . . . we avoided this one). The dogs all developed either avoidance mechanisms or coping mechanisms for dealing with kids. The kids got to know the dogs and their natures. I don't remember anyone ever getting bitten, apart from the odd incident where some dog got clumsy with its mouth in play and a tooth whammed into some skin. Come to think of it, I did get nipped when visiting someone's house . . . but no one thought much of it.

Does no good to bemoan days gone by . . . but systematic confinement of dogs and insistence of careful supervision of children when in contact with dogs does have its side effects.

The dog may have been on lead, but been at the end of a long lead and the child may have been on the otehr side of the footpath and the dog could reach - who knows?? I have seen quite a few dogs "on lead" that were not under very effective control. I don't think they have a very good chnace of finding the dog and I hope the child is not too traumatised

It does sound a bit like that from the report with a leashed dog lunging could happen easily on a footpath on a standard 6 foot leash. I am really proactive with this sort of thing especially walking dogs I have little history with as to their reactivity potential and keep well clear of kids passing. I agree on the trend Joe mentioned about kids running up to pat strange dogs which is an escalating problem I have noticed also. My parents were very firm in their rules we must abide never to approach and try to pat strange dogs which kept us safe in that respect as kids.

Yeah, I do think that kids are more likely to run up to strange dogs now than they were a few decades back. Not sure why that is, but we never would have dreamed of running up to a strange dog when I was a kid, but I've had it happen a few times to my current dog (who is not the kind of dog that looks particularly inviting - I can only imagine what it is like for owners of cuddlier looking breeds!)

Having said that, it seems that the dog owner is legally responsibility for keeping kids safe from the dog, no matter how irresponsible the child or the parents may be. It may not be fair, but it just seems to be the way things are. The dog owners didn't keep the kid safe, the kid paid for that, and if they get caught their dog will pay too. :(

We were told forthwith that strange dog can bite you so I guess we feared them and kept clear, but there is a lot more influence today given to anti trauma type regimes in parentage where you don't tell kids dogs bite etc making life a supposedly more positive experience I have heard on a few occassions?

Edited by PetSitters

We shouldn't jump to conclusions. It could have been the relatives fault or the dog owners fault or more than likely a combination of the two.

But this is why when walking my dogs and passing people on the footpath I always curve away from the people so that even if my dog (in the unlikely case) lunges to the end of the lead they would not be able to reach the people we are passing. As far I I am concerned better safe than sorry.

And yet people here on DOL complain when someone gives their on leash dog a wide berth or - god forbid - they cross the road.

It is a lesson for all dog owners (even friendly dogs) - make sure that, even if your dog goes to the end of the leash, that they can't reach passers-by. It really isn't that hard? If the path is narrow, move your dogs off, even if it means walking in the road. You can put them in a sit and get them to focus on you, you can shorten the leash etc.

What's more, it helps paint dog owners in a good light - I get lots of "thank yous" for moving off the foot path, putting my dogs in a sit and letting people pass without being sniffed at.

If a child suddenly runs towards your reactive dog, you put your dog behind you, step forward and yell "STOP NOW". It works.

We shouldn't jump to conclusions. It could have been the relatives fault or the dog owners fault or more than likely a combination of the two.

But this is why when walking my dogs and passing people on the footpath I always curve away from the people so that even if my dog (in the unlikely case) lunges to the end of the lead they would not be able to reach the people we are passing. As far I I am concerned better safe than sorry.

The dog is unpredictable animal for the stranger approach because you have no idea what the dog is like or if the handler can control the dog. So on my opinion when taking 5 year old kid for walking and the dog approach on the leash, get out of it's way and keep the kid safe instead of rely on the dog handler to do the right thing becuase maybe the handler is not very good on the job we dont know this, so is best for kids sake to make some distance on my belief. If the kids bit on the face from leashed dog is too close to be walking 5 year old near strange dog is stupid. Sure the dog shouldnt be biting and sure the handler should having better control and catching this handler and dog by the police is all beautful, but it doesnt fix the kids face or undo the trauma he suffer, but the relative with the kid if he use is brains could have avoid this situation from a leashed dog in the first place.

I see many times people asking handler little Billy want to pat your dog so handler lets the kid pat and is all happy and good, but if something go wrong and dog bites little Billy, his mum will be first to want the dogs euthanasia when it all hitting the fan. We needing to be careful with our dog interact with the kids and for me is better someone think I am not friendly man not letting kid pat my dog than being nice man on minute then terrible man with dangerous dog when my dog perhaps bite him?

Joe

Edited by JoeK

x2

Its not always the childs fault, everytime there is something about a dog attacking most people go on about how it must have been the owner, the friend, the child......some times dogs bite, there are not nice dogs out there, just lot there are not so nice people :(

Its not always the childs fault, everytime there is something about a dog attacking most people go on about how it must have been the owner, the friend, the child......some times dogs bite, there are not nice dogs out there, just lot there are not so nice people :(

Yes,there are not nice dogs out there is true, so for my opinion is time people understanding this and keep away from leashed dogs like on this report, leashed dogs are not threat if you leave them be. How is 5 year old allowed to be in biting range of leashed dog, shouldnt be happening.

Joe

I totally agree with JoeK and Staranais.When we were kids we were taught to never approach any dog and we never did.I don't have the problem very often as I have greyhounds(it's the old muzzle thing)but have seen it too many times.I live in a beachside suburb where our population triples in holiday time.Lots of dogs and LOTS of kids with so many parents not even watching their children.I was at the dawn service on Anzac day with my dogs and a lovely lady came up to me and ASKED if her 6 year old could pat my dogs.I don't see that very often these days.

Dog owner's fault.. child's adult supervisors fault - who knows? The horse has bolted folks.. you're just nailing the stable door shut.

I don't care how the incident happened. The idea that a five year old gets facial injuries from a dog in a public place doesn't do responsible dog ownership any favours. The fact that it appears the dog's owner can't be found just adds to that.

Edited by poodlefan